Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dalai Lama Visit??

• 20-01-2011 10:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭

Yes, I had to read it twice as well. The Dalai Lama is supposedly going to be visiting Limerick sometime in April this year, story below:
    A HISTORIC visit to the city of Limerick by the Dalai Lama in April is set to be confirmed in an announcement on February 1.
    Talks between a Southill-based community group and the Northern Irish charity involved in co-ordinating the Buddhist leader's first ever visit to the Republic are ongoing, and an announcement regarding the visit is to be made on February 1.

The Derry-based charity, Children in Crossfire, are co-ordinating the Tibetan spiritual leader's visit to Ireland in April and while founder Richard Moore, a friend of the Dalai Lama, who is a patron of the children's charity, was not available for comment, Ursula Moore of Children in Crossfire did say that "an announcement is due in early February".

"The Dalai Lama is coming and we are part of the organising committee, but we have no details on an itinerary as of yet. That is due to be released in a number of weeks time," said Ms Moore.

The Leader has ascertained that city officials have not been notified of any visit to Limerick by the Nobel Peace laureate, nor have any specific preparations been made.

However, it is known that contact between Mr Moore and a Southill-based community group is ongoing, and that an intinerary for a Limerick visit is being planned.

A unique visit to be sure, although I wonder given his world status how much Garda resources will be needed for this visit? And would they be adequate for such a high profile visitor? It would only take one lunatic in the right place to make world news out of this for all the wrong reasons.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

It was mentioned in the Sunday Indo last weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

As with the visit of an religious leader, meh.

I'm sure limericks huge population of Tibetan Buddhists will be out in numbers to see Jetsun Jamphel Ngawang Lobsang Yeshe Tenzin Gyatso.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Twin-go wrote: »

I'm sure limericks huge population of Tibetan Buddhists will be out in numbers to see Jetsun Jamphel Ngawang Lobsang Yeshe Tenzin Gyatso.

Thats not the point. He has a lot of people who would like to see him gone. A small Irish city - where better to have a go at it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

DarkJager wrote: »
    Thats not the point. He has a lot of people who would like to see him gone. A small Irish city - where better to have a go at it?
    shur he'll be re-incarnated anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

So that'll be the two lads that run the chinese down the road? :P

• Advertisement

Are you planning "something" for his visit DarkJager?:eek:

Are you planning "something" for his visit DarkJager?:eek:
    Are you kidding, Jager's in mid plans for getting his very own schoolbook depository, a grassy knoll with two snipers, and plausible deniability from the Irish government that he was anywhere near the city during the entire month of april, despite being caught urinating on the side of a rubbish bin the night before ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Slugs wrote: »
    Are you kidding, Jager's in mid plans for getting his very own schoolbook suppository, a grassy knoll with two snipers, and plausible deniability from the Irish government that he was anywhere near the city during the entire month of april, despite being caught urinating on the side of a rubbish bin the night before ;)

I'll have you know I lift the lid on the rubbish bin before I piss in it! :D But no, just find it quite strange that:

a) He's visiting Limerick
    b) When it comes to religious fanatics you never quite know what they are capable of, so I'm interested in knowing what kind of protection or security he will be getting. It isn't something minor like McAleese showing up.

I'm not religious in anyway, but I do know about his history and how vilified he is by some people. Limerick just strikes me as a strange place for him to show up.

Try Ireland full stop mate, I honestly can't get my head around why he'd come around here. It's not like we've volunteered to become the new Tibet, or we recieved an exodus of tibetan buddhist monks...

Ah well, I'd much rather him than the pope to be honest :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

jesus you people know nothing

firstly its not about the fact he is a religious leader. he is a symbol of peace which is definitly something this city needs.

secondly he visits thousands of cities every year!!!!!!!!!!!! he hasnt been killed yet. he has a huge entourage of protection.

• Advertisement

Icky Thump wrote: »
    jesus you people know nothing

firstly its not about the fact he is a religious leader. he is a symbol of peace which is definitly something this city needs.

secondly he visits thousands of cities every year!!!!!!!!!!!! he hasnt been killed yet. he has a huge entourage of protection.

Symbol of what now?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7957597.stm

I'll be very suprised if even one of tracksuit wearing scumbags that infest this City turn away from crime and begin their search for Nirvana through peaceful ways because some old Chinese guy pays a visit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

I'll be very suprised if even one of tracksuit wearing scumbags that infest this City turn away from crime and begin their search for Nirvana through peaceful ways because some old Chinese guy pays a visit.

You being very un-PC, which is frowned upon...

You being very un-PC, which is frowned upon...
    Ya twin-go, get it right, it's an old tibetan guy.. geez! :P
    How un-pc... lol!

Ya twin-go, get it right, it's an old tibetan guy.. geez! :P
    How un-pc... lol!

Whoops:o
    wrote:
    Lhamo Döndrub (or Thondup) was born on 6 July 1935 to a farming and horse trading family in the small hamlet of Taktser,[1] in the eastern border of the former Tibetan region of Amdo, then already incorporated into the Chinese province of Qinghai.

but he was born in China so I withdraw my "Whoops":p

I hate you... :( ruining my lulz... I hope you get reincarnated as a goat...

wow and we wonder why we are all looked as scumbags

try growing up kids.

i for one think that it would be brilliant for the city.god knows its alot better than trying to get eminem here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

yeah, nice coup for Limerick and for ireland

i dont think the Dali Lama is seen in the same light as most rel leaders - at least by westerners.

wow and we wonder why we are all looked as scumbags

try growing up kids.

i for one think that it would be brilliant for the city.god knows its alot better than trying to get eminem here

Tell me Icky, what exactly is he going to do for Limerick?

I'd be more interested in getting the Police and governmant that turned New York into the city with the lowest crime rate in the U.S. over here to help sort Limerick out.

Some reincarnated "I like him cause Hollywood "Stars" like him" religious leader is not going to help one little bit.

The best thing to come out of it more than likely will be Willie O'Dea coming out and converting to buddhism after finding his "inner peace".

Sorry but this Story/Event is just of no interest to me and I don't see what purpose it will serve.

I am more interested in the Daily NAMA than the Dali Lama right now.

• Advertisement

Tell me Icky, what exactly is he going to do for Limerick?

I'd be more interested in getting the Police and governmant that turned New York into the city with the lowest crime rate in the U.S. over here to help sort Limerick out.

Some reincarnated "I like him cause Hollywood "Stars" like him" religious leader is not going to help one little bit.

all that will happen is he will come her and talk

ive heard him speak in Sydney back in 2007. if he does come here just go listen to the guy speak. i mean it he insipers. im not saying he is going to change limerick but he will change the way some people think about limerick.

who knows, maybe some of the people who talk crap about the place will actually have a bit of pride for once and not be ok with the scum running the city. maybe some people will stand up and "rat out" on these scum

Why would you have pride in a place that embodies the depression we're in. It's one of the most depressing places I've ever had the misfortune of visiting, let alone living in. Everytime I come back to the place and pass that "Welcome to Limerick" sign, I get this feeling of grief and depression that literally sucks out any joy the place has. I'm not talking about the population, I'm talking about the city itself, it's so drab, depressing and dank, I'm afriad to read "Angela's Ashes" cause I know for a fact I'll end up thinking of the city in that context.

As for inspriing people, it's no different than any other religious leader talking to the masses, except of course we're talking here about someone who is light years above the intellectual levels of the catholic population, who, if the catholic priest has anything to say about it, will dismiss everything the man has to say.

And finally, as for ratting out "these scum", you've (the city) had years to deal with these bottom feeders, yet you still persist to let their actions continue to affect the city. What sort of inspiration is a religious leader, who has already been removed from and oppressed in his own homeland, possibly going to offer up to a population that allowed their government hand their sovereignty into the hands of the IMF and continues to bitch and moan about it down in the pub rather than outside of dail eireann, and continued to allow these guys affect your daily lives.

I'm actually embaressed to host him in this country, let alone Limerick.

Why would you have pride in a place that embodies the depression we're in. It's one of the most depressing places I've ever had the misfortune of visiting, let alone living in. Everytime I come back to the place and pass that "Welcome to Limerick" sign, I get this feeling of grief and depression that literally sucks out any joy the place has. I'm not talking about the population, I'm talking about the city itself, it's so drab, depressing and dank, I'm afriad to read "Angela's Ashes" cause I know for a fact I'll end up thinking of the city in that context.

As for inspriing people, it's no different than any other religious leader talking to the masses, except of course we're talking here about someone who is light years above the intellectual levels of the catholic population, who, if the catholic priest has anything to say about it, will dismiss everything the man has to say.

And finally, as for ratting out "these scum", you've (the city) had years to deal with these bottom feeders, yet you still persist to let their actions continue to affect the city. What sort of inspiration is a religious leader, who has already been removed from and oppressed in his own homeland, possibly going to offer up to a population that allowed their government hand their sovereignty into the hands of the IMF and continues to bitch and moan about it down in the pub rather than outside of dail eireann, and continued to allow these guys affect your daily lives.

I'm actually embaressed to host him in this country, let alone Limerick.

jesus do you actually believe half that crap your spouting or are you just trying to get a reaction(get it Icky thump- you got a reaction:D ah puns are great)

you obviously have no interest in the visit and thats fair enough. noone is making you go as noonbe is making you stay in limerick my friend.

im far from in love with this city but since i moved away ive got alot more respect for it than before. while i cant see myself ever living here full time again i will continue to come back for friends and family. its where im from and i guess in my own sick way i am proud of limerick no matter how much i bitch about it.

noone made me stay so i left.

noone is making you stay. if you hate it that much leave.

as for the visit of this great wise man (as oppose to the reliegious leader you all keep talking about him as). i am looking forward to hearing what he says. he talks alot of sense and in the current climate where we have "leaders" talking rubbish it will be refreshing to hear a man that commands respect, a man that has intelligence and empity for his fellow man. you cant disrespect the dalai lama.

he is the man:cool:

He is a religious leader. I'm not denying his intelligence, in fact if you re read my post you'd see I gave him credit, but his advice will fall on deaf ears. As it usually does with the Irish population.

If he commands respect, why do the chinese government refuse to give back tibet it's independence despite his consistent petitioning and support from "Trendy" hollywood stars.

Yes, I had to read it twice as well. The Dalai Lama is supposedly going to be visiting Limerick sometime in April this year, story below:

A unique visit to be sure, although I wonder given his world status how much Garda resources will be needed for this visit? And would they be adequate for such a high profile visitor? It would only take one lunatic in the right place to make world news out of this for all the wrong reasons.

Kind of funny though, that the Dalai Lama comes to Limerick, and the first question asked is 'What kind of protection will he have'..
    And i kind of get from the post that you'd be more upset about the damage this would do to Limerick's reputation..
    Ill be going to see him speak whereever it is..

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭celticcrash

The industrial leaders of Tibet came to see the Dali Lama one time to ask
    Could he cut back on the spiritual teachings in the schools.

Why? because the population are too content and content people
    Are not productive enought for the economy.

The Dali Lama said so ye want the people to be less spiritual and less
    Happy

So ye can fill them with wants and disires about material things so they
    Can be happy.

They teach happiness and kindness in the schools and how to love
    Yourself and everything.

Yep sounds like my school when I was a kid.
    Get your maths right or else you will become a nothing in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭showgirlrita

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Anyone go? Good laugh I heard?

a good laugh????

one of the wisest men on the planet comes and preaches. he enlightens us on how man kind should be thinking in order for us to live in peace................................ and he has been reduced to being a "good laugh"????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭leakyboots

a good laugh????

one of the wisest men on the planet comes and preaches. he enlightens us on how man kind should be thinking in order for us to live in peace................................ and he has been reduced to being a "good laugh"????

Nice high horse you're up on there.

He might be one of the wisest men on the planet to you but he isn't to me - I've a pretty healthy scepticism of religion and the fact that he says he is the 14th reincarnation of someone but doesn't think there will be any more after him...?

What I do like about him is he seems like a nice, humble, good-humoured chap (see the photos on broadsheet.ie) who preaches a good message and doesn't look like he's in it for profit.

And I did watch some of it online, and it seemed like it was "a good laugh", Mr. Gyatso seemed in high spirits anyway.

So, did he play Stairway or was it more of the newer stuff?

Advertisement