Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dalai Lama Visit??

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,091 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Icky Thump wrote: »
    a good laugh????

one of the wisest men on the planet comes and preaches. he enlightens us on how man kind should be thinking in order for us to live in peace................................ and he has been reduced to being a "good laugh"????
    what was his message?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

what was his message?

Same message all the great spiritual leaders have been teaching :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭leakyboots

what was his message?

Same as E.T.s

"Beeee goooooooood"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

i couldnt get back from waterford for it. college im afraid.

but from watching it online streaming he was talking about forgiveness and how its our anger and lust for revenge that brings depression to our culture (to sumarise).

to those who talk about the fact that you dont like him because he is religious........ he makes it a point not to push his religion on anyone. he is more an anthropologist than a religious leader.

i would post up some links of his speachs in dublin. there are a couple from the rte news he was talking. but i dont know if the boards allow it. so if you go to rte web site or youtube you will find them by looking for Dalai Lama april visit 2011.

i dont mean to sound like im on my high horse. i just dont like the culture here of "who the feck does he think he is preachin to us about his beliefs". i do think that he is extremly wise. just listen to the guy for 5 mins. youll never hear him talking up his religion. he just talks about culture and how people should be able to question heads of state. he thinks we should question our superiors and our authority because only then they will do their jobs. he thinks we should think about the future for the world as a whole and not just think about ourselves and not ignore wider issues.

the future is important to all of us and if we all just look after ourselves then we wont have a future. we should look after eachother and not just hurt eachother.

i think he is right. bet you wouldnt ask your neighbour for a cup of suga hese days. id go so far as to say most of us dont even know who lives next door.

so leakyboots you can say im on my high horse all you want but at least i dont have my head in the sand. my original comment wasnt directed at you but more at the way people talk in our city. everything is "for the laugh". no wonder the rest of the country laughs at us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

what was his message?

"be excellent to each other" then he got into a phonebox and disappeared back in time, was awesome.

• Advertisement

i couldnt get back from waterford for it. college im afraid.

but from watching it online streaming he was talking about forgiveness and how its our anger and lust for revenge that brings depression to our culture (to sumarise).

to those who talk about the fact that you dont like him because he is religious........ he makes it a point not to push his religion on anyone. he is more an anthropologist than a religious leader.

i would post up some links of his speachs in dublin. there are a couple from the rte news he was talking. but i dont know if the boards allow it. so if you go to rte web site or youtube you will find them by looking for Dalai Lama april visit 2011.

i dont mean to sound like im on my high horse. i just dont like the culture here of "who the feck does he think he is preachin to us about his beliefs". i do think that he is extremly wise. just listen to the guy for 5 mins. youll never hear him talking up his religion. he just talks about culture and how people should be able to question heads of state. he thinks we should question our superiors and our authority because only then they will do their jobs. he thinks we should think about the future for the world as a whole and not just think about ourselves and not ignore wider issues.

the future is important to all of us and if we all just look after ourselves then we wont have a future. we should look after eachother and not just hurt eachother.

i think he is right. bet you wouldnt ask your neighbour for a cup of suga hese days. id go so far as to say most of us dont even know who lives next door.

so leakyboots you can say im on my high horse all you want but at least i dont have my head in the sand. my original comment wasnt directed at you but more at the way people talk in our city. everything is "for the laugh". no wonder the rest of the country laughs at us

Not a bother Ickythump - but you say it wasn't directed at me but then quote me directly without pointing that out, can't blame a person for reacting. And I am far from having my head in the sand.

I have great respect for the man and what he says, I just don't buy into his religion - even if it's probably the most placid of them all and easiest to practice (hence the fad for it amongst Hollywood stars I guess, it's pretty attractive compared to the hell and brimstone dogma of others)

I don't think the rest of the country laughs at Limerick in particular (I'm not from here as it happens but absolutely love the place) - I reckon Cork gets that accolade but that's a different debate for a different thread.

So to summarise, guy who does...well nothing practically, tells everyone to be nice to each other. groundbreaking stuff. He was saying how we should forgive the bankers and politicians who ruined the country, on yer bike hippy.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭SoCo2009

krudler wrote: »
    So to summarise, guy who does...well nothing practically, tells everyone to be nice to each other. groundbreaking stuff. He was saying how we should forgive the bankers and politicians who ruined the country, on yer bike hippy.

Beats bitching about it like we've all resorted to doing. Anyone else sick of talking about ''the current climate'' everywhere and anywhere you go?

Dont worry, be happy :)

SoCo2009 wrote: »
    Beats bitching about it like we've all resorted to doing. Anyone else sick of talking about ''the current climate'' everywhere and anywhere you go?

Dont worry, be happy :)

so....letting them off scot free and forgetting about it is the way to go? are you for real?

"ah sure they ruined for country for the current and next generations, but shure forgive and forget"

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭SoCo2009

so....letting them off scot free and forgetting about it is the way to go? are you for real?

"ah sure they ruined for country for the current and next generations, but shure forgive and forget"

Well obviously not let em off scot free but hopefully they'll be dealt with punishments. Thats out of mine or your control so whats the point bitching about it?

All that does is breeds a negative atmosphere, an example of that being your reaction to the a postive thing that was the visit of the Dalia Lama to our city.

People give out when nothings going on in the city. Then when something positive happens, they find ways to complain about that too!

• Advertisement

well he has a point. we should just forgive them and hope that they will face the courts for their crimes one day. there is no point in everyone constantly bitching about it and getting worked up and stressed out because of it. the only thing that will happen with that is youll make yourself seriously sick mentally and physically

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Not a religious man but I prefer him to most of our politicians

old hippy wrote: »
    Not a religious man but I prefer him to most of our politicians

this seems to be the trend of most around here

the Dalai Lama never talks religion. to him his religion is the same as being a profession. his religion is who he is. he just talks about how we could be happier. he doesnt try to get us to convert.

as for his forgive and forget policy i refered to earlier he has been through a hell of a lot more than our very very minor bank problem in comparison

this seems to be the trend of most around here

the Dalai Lama never talks religion. to him his religion is the same as being a profession. his religion is who he is. he just talks about how we could be happier. he doesnt try to get us to convert.

as for his forgive and forget policy i refered to earlier he has been through a hell of a lot more than our very very minor bank problem in comparison

Damn straight. He's not dragging us off the streets into some dodgy cult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i asked him for an autograph afterwards, and he told me to go f*ck myself

so much for peace love & understanding

fryup wrote: »
    i asked him for an autograph afterwards, and he told me to go f*ck myself

so much for peace love & understanding

Yeah but he said it in a really spiritual way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I was at it. I don't think forgiveness was actually mentioned a whole lot.

Messages to take from it:
    1. Worry is a cancer. Don't worry about things that haven't happened, if they are inevitable they will happen so save yourself the bother, and if they have happened move past them.
    2. Competition stresses us. We are better off to cooperate than compete.
    3. Compassion is one of the most important traits to have, the animals have mastered it, we should too.
    4. We are no different from anyone else. We look and act different, but we are all human
    5. You cannot teach compassion and humility without being compassionate and humble
    6. Smile

Basically we all need to get over ourselves and the little hissy fits of our own lives. Being angry only harms one person, the person that is angry; prolonged anger is a waste.

He made a few jokes alright and it was a good laugh.

ninty9er wrote: »
    I was at it. I don't think forgiveness was actually mentioned a whole lot.

Messages to take from it:
    1. Worry is a cancer. Don't worry about things that haven't happened, if they are inevitable they will happen so save yourself the bother, and if they have happened move past them.
    2. Competition stresses us. We are better off to cooperate than compete.
    3. Compassion is one of the most important traits to have, the animals have mastered it, we should too.
    4. We are no different from anyone else. We look and act different, but we are all human
    5. You cannot teach compassion and humility without being compassionate and humble
    6. Smile

Basically we all need to get over ourselves and the little hissy fits of our own lives. Being angry only harms one person, the person that is angry; prolonged anger is a waste.

He made a few jokes alright and it was a good laugh.

A good laugh? A GOOD LAUGH?? :D

Advertisement