Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External Bell Box for Astec 63D

Options
  • 20-01-2011 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering if its possible to replace my existing external bell box with a differnet brand (eg: HKC etc) or do I need to use an Astec one ?
    The led's on the existing box have stopped so I'm looking to replace the external bell box with something a little more noticable. My neighbour got a new alarm system a while back and its got blue flashing led's on the external bell box and is really noticable at night.

Thanks
    JD

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You can use a global one. Just pick up a SAB interface from Astec.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

jd6677 wrote: »
    Hi,

Just wondering if its possible to replace my existing external bell box with a differnet brand (eg: HKC etc) or do I need to use an Astec one ?
    The led's on the existing box have stopped so I'm looking to replace the external bell box with something a little more noticable. My neighbour got a new alarm system a while back and its got blue flashing led's on the external bell box and is really noticable at night.

Thanks
    JD

That is the best thing to do. Much brighter than the Astec bell. You will need the engineer code off the alarm to do this with the S21 SAB conversion kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭jd6677

Thanks KoolKid and Altor for the quick replies.

I take it I can pickup the "S21 SAB conversion kit" from Astec in Pearse Street ? Also is global one a specfic brand ? Do you guys recommend a place to get the external bell box ?

Many thanks
    JD

Your welcome jd6677,

The HKC SABB will work with the conversion kit. Much brighter bell box too. If you look here you will get a supplier near you.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Coming from Astec your near enough to Reliable Security or Northwood.
    Their details are in the sticky Altor linked to.

• Advertisement

Thanks KoolKid and Altor for all the help so far.
    I just picked up a S22 SABB kit and will pick up a Ext bell box this afternoon. I was wondering would this box ( mentioned in another thread) work with my alarm or should I just stick with the HKC one?

Pyronix Deltabell Plus
    http://csdl.ie/catalog/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=64

Many thanks
    JD

That wil work with the Astec interface, as will any global SABB.

Great thanks a mill KoolKid – really appreciate all the help

JD

No bother ,
    Any problems with it, you know where we are.

Right so I have everything now, but I'm a little confused about the wiring of it.

I have the S22 SAB Interface and the Pyronix DeltaBell. From my understanding from the instructions I connect the S22 to the alarm system by connecting it to the Sounders Bus connection. But the next part gets a little confusing. I then need to connect from the S22 to the Bell box.
    On the S22 is labelled 1 to 6 and in the wiring diagrams shows how to connect it to a HKC SABB. So to connect to a Pyronix I think I should connect the numbers as follows:

S22 Pyronix
    1 --> Bell
    2 --> +12v
    3 --> -12V
    4 --> Not Connected
    5 --> STB
    6 --> Tamper Return (bottom “T” in Picture)

Also need to connect Tamper to (Top “T” in picture) to -12V

S22

28ls3u0.jpg

Pyronix
    15xq23q.jpg

Is this the correct connection setup ?

Thanks again in advance,
    JD

• Advertisement

Hi jd6677,

I have made you up a diagram that will help also.

Connect everything as is except that strobe + goes nowhere.
    Supply + & - is 12V and 0 V
    Sounder trigger - is BELL
    Stobe - is Strobe
    Tamper hold off goes to the second T in the bell. The first T in the bell
    is looped to 0 Volts in the bell.

Cheers Altor , thanks a mill. Appreciate you taking the time to do up the diagram. I'll give it ago tomorrow , if the rain holds off :)

Thanks again
    JD

Cheers Altor , thanks a mill. Appreciate you taking the time to do up the diagram. I'll give it ago tomorrow , if the rain holds off :)

Thanks again
    JD

Your welcome JD, Always happy to help :D

Well I've finally got around to fitting it today and it all worked perfectly. Big thanks to Altor and KoolKid for all the help and guidance.

One thing I would say about the install was the S22 was a tight fit inside the Pyronix bell box. There was only a small amount of room on the left side. I actually broke away any protruding plastic pieces to keep the fit flush and as tidy as possible. I used double side Velcro to secure the S22 inside the bell box. I also wired up the S22 to the Pyronix before mounting it. The main electronics of the bell box detaches from the base which helps with the wiring in the S22.

JD

Good work JD. Glad you got it sorted.;)

Well I've finally got around to fitting it today and it all worked perfectly. Big thanks to Altor and KoolKid for all the help and guidance.

One thing I would say about the install was the S22 was a tight fit inside the Pyronix bell box. There was only a small amount of room on the left side. I actually broke away any protruding plastic pieces to keep the fit flush and as tidy as possible. I used double side Velcro to secure the S22 inside the bell box. I also wired up the S22 to the Pyronix before mounting it. The main electronics of the bell box detaches from the base which helps with the wiring in the S22.

JD

Your welcome JD, good to hear you got it done and working first time :D
    All easy when you know how ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 biggaf321

i am trying to replace a sounder for a new one whith a strobe on it and am having difficulty in connecting it. the connections on the new one are as follows

earth
    earth
    Ov out
    Ov in
    - led
    + led
    + line in
    + line out
    not connected
    not connected

it is a 2 wire system and i am wondering do i need to add a resistor?? connectect anything to the led terminals?? the terrible drawings it provides tell you to connect your zone + ve to the line in terminal and your zone - ve to the Ov in terminal and nothing else. i have done this but there is still a sounder fault showing on the panel. the old one worked fine and it is the only one on the circuit. if any of you can help that would be great thanks

Are you trying to connect this to an Astec system?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 biggaf321

the alarm panel is called a citadel panel and the sounder is rafiki sounder. dont know if this is any help any other info i can give you let me know thanks for your help

This thread is External Bell Box for Astec 63D, please do not hijack others threads . Start a new thread stating this information & the help you require

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 antaibhse

Great thread.Have to replace bell box on my astec.Have had great difficulty obtaining the s22 interface.Have got one now and a hkc saab.I am a little confused as to where to connect bell box.I have two wires going to existing box.Dô these connect to interface and are they polarity sensitive.The connections one to six are then a mystery to me.Hope someone can help with drawing or picture.Thanks for reading.

The 2 wire from the existing bell go into the interface . It the 2 blocks on their own, Its not polarity dependent.

Connect as follows.

1 > Bell neg
    2 > Bell +
    3 > BHO
    4 > Strobe +
    5 > Strobe -
    6 > Tamper return

First of all thank you for prompt reply.I have not been able to get to box to check this out as am away from home for while.will attempt replacement during week and will post results.Once again thanks for informative reply.

Your welcome. Let's know how you get on.

Sorry about late reply.I am a lazy bugger.Finally got around to replacing bellbox this morning.No problem following your conections.Only mistake was connecting to wrong tamper connection.There were two of them and I connected initially to the left one but after getting fault message once again I changed it to the right of the two and everything back as normal.More visible leds on this box in daylight also.Thanks for all your help.

Glad you got sorted. Thanks for updating us.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 paul newman

Hi
    I am having problems with my Astec 63 system It is going into alarm when it is disarmed and showing up as SAB fault on the keypad.In engineer mode code 73 is showing 0 can this be reset and how?It is 7 years old Does the bell box need replacing?Are there still parts available for astec alarms?Are there still convesrion kits available in order to use a different manufacturers external bell? If the system can't be fixed can you recommend another 2 wire alarm system as all the spare wires in the alarm cables at the window sensors have been cut out and it would be very difficult to install new cables.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

I don't know about spare parts . But the HKC 10/70 panel supports 2 wire wiring Its called Dual EOL . It can also use wireless devices .You'll need to change your panel and all sensors .
    Do you have any PIRs ? You'll need 4 cores to wire in new ones or you can go wireless . You'll need to have 6 core wire up at the bell box for the new sabb or you can get a wireless one

Hi
    I am having problems with my Astec 63 system It is going into alarm when it is disarmed and showing up as SAB fault on the keypad.In engineer mode code 73 is showing 0 can this be reset and how?It is 7 years old Does the bell box need replacing?Are there still parts available for astec alarms?Are there still convesrion kits available in order to use a different manufacturers external bell? If the system can't be fixed can you recommend another 2 wire alarm system as all the spare wires in the alarm cables at the window sensors have been cut out and it would be very difficult to install new cables.

Most systems now support Duel EOL . Siemens for example supports multiple EOL options on a zone by zone basis.
    As for your SAB problem the first thing to do is ensure all connections are good. If possible take the bell box down & wire it on a short length of cable
    directly into the panel with the internal disconnected. This will confirm if the unit is good or not. If its the unit you can get a global SAB & an S22 interface to connect to your Astec alarm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 paul newman

Hi
    Thanks for the help and advice.I will try get up to the bell box tomorrow and see what I can do.One other question I have I is if I decide to change the system could I use the existing contacts and sensors by changing the resistors to suit a new panel?

Advertisement