Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J-Qeury Locality Library

Options
  • 20-01-2011 12:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Does anyone know where I could get a jquery library (or other) of all the localities (counties, cities, towns) in the UK and Ireland. You often see them as drop down menus on registration forms...and this is what I want it for. This is pretty urgent so any help would be greatly appreciated. I searched online but I don't know if I'm even looking in the correct areas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

I highly doubt there is a jQuery library that contains all of what you are looking for.

Most likely the solution to your problem would be to store all the localities in a database and use an ajax method to another page which pulls what you want from the database and then use this to populate your drop down or alternatively your could use jQuery UI's autocomplete method if that is more the route you want to head.

If your problem is missing the list of localities then you would be better of searching for a database of these rather then a library. You may have to add every value in seperately if nobody else has one available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

Thanks Kavrocks for steering me in the right direction. I found exactly what I was looking for...I think. I'll put the link here to the webpage. It's a free download resource and it's already in SQL :)

http://www.pandemedia.biz/resources/index/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Thanks Kavrocks for steering me in the right direction. I found exactly what I was looking for...I think. I'll put the link here to the webpage. It's a free download resource and it's already in SQL :)

http://www.pandemedia.biz/resources/index/

Glad you got sorted. I am definitely bookmarking that link!

Edit: Just to add more information on the implementation which may or may not be any use. You could save the town/county data as XML and that way just read the information from an XML file rather than accessing the database.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

Glad I could help.

Thanks for posting the link, it could very well be useful so I bookmarked it too.

Advertisement