Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wait for "Housing Adaptation Grant for People with a Disability"

Options
  • 20-01-2011 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

my dad is in his late 80's and needs his house adapted for his needs, afaik this is the appropriate grant - "Housing Adaptation Grant for People with a Disability" - he's entitled to 50% to 70% of costs at a guess.

how long does this grant take to process ? is it quicker through certain channels ? do the builders overcharge much ?

cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

depends on the council and how much money they have allocate for such projects. Often they run out towards the end of the year and there maybe waiting lists.

In my own personal experience (Dun laoghaire rathdown) its used to take a few months. However this was in the first 6months of the year.

In relation to builders charges you maybe able to claim back the VAT and you are supposed to get 3 quotes for grant so pick the cheapest. Make sure the builders are insured (you will need insurance copies for the grant).

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭franbe

thanks snorlax, sorry for the late reply, dad's in hospital now so things are a bit hectic.

when you said choose the cheapest is that to speed up approval ?

i meant about the builders overcharging, ..if he is only entitled to 50%, and if they overcharge by say 20%-30%, and if it takes too long for approval, i might be better off skipping the grant, ..something like that with alot of ifs .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

We also got the grant though in Meath and it took well over six months from starting the process to getting approval, that was about 4 years ago though.
    Then of course the actual work has to be added to that as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

franbe wrote: »
    thanks snorlax, sorry for the late reply, dad's in hospital now so things are a bit hectic.

when you said choose the cheapest is that to speed up approval ?

i meant about the builders overcharging, ..if he is only entitled to 50%, and if they overcharge by say 20%-30%, and if it takes too long for approval, i might be better off skipping the grant, ..something like that with alot of ifs .

obviously don't just go for the cheapest, I meant best value for the service provided. But your best bet would be to find people who have had work done and see who is the best. I haven't heard of people overcharging but I know the grant used to be around 20,000eur.

Advertisement