Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thor 5/6 0.8west

• 20-01-2011 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

Is anyone receiving Thor 5/6 on east coast using 88cm dish ? can you post results, Minimum dish size required. Havent it set up at my place at the moment. Im getting conflicting reports ranging from 80cm to 1 mtr

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

I've gotten it (most of) with a 60cm Sky dish before (in Dublin), which isn't easy given the limited skew available on that dish.

It's been a while, so my memory may be hazy, but there was a newish sat (T6 perhaps?) that was booming in on that dish. Quality would have been in the 80's (%).

The Intelsat spots were weaker, borderline, any sign of rainclouds would cause it to pixelate or disappear.

There are then other spots, IIRC, that would need 1.2 or bigger to get reliably.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Premier

polyfusion wrote: »
    I've gotten it (most of) with a 60cm Sky dish before (in Dublin), which isn't easy given the limited skew available on that dish.

It's been a while, so my memory may be hazy, but there was a newish sat (T6 perhaps?) that was booming in on that dish. Quality would have been in the 80's (%).

The Intelsat spots were weaker, borderline, any sign of rainclouds would cause it to pixelate or disappear.

There are then other spots, IIRC, that would need 1.2 or bigger to get reliably.

Yea im not interested in intelsat but
    Thor 6 (0.8W) - 11727.00 V - Txp: 1 - Beam: K2 Europe

Thor 6 (0.8W) - 11766.00 V - Txp: BSS03 - Beam: K2 Europe

Thor 5 (0.8W) - 11785.00 H - Txp: C4 - Beam: Europe

Thor 6 (0.8W) - 11804.00 V - Txp: BSS05 - Beam: K2 Europe

Thor 6 (0.8W) - 11843.00 V - Txp: 7 - Beam: K2 Europe

Thor 5 (0.8W) - 11862.00 H - Txp: C8 - Beam: Europe

Are you telling me your receiving them on a sky dish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Never go for minimum dish as transponder powers are usually less as the satellite ages.

watty wrote: »
    Never go for minimum dish as transponder powers are usually less as the satellite ages.

Agreed, Just want to find somewhere in the middle, it's going on a very small house at the front and dont want to overkill,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

satpaul wrote: »
    Are you telling me your receiving them on a sky dish?

As I said, memory is hazy, and it was best part of 6 months ago when I last had it pointed there. I know I was getting some of the UPC and Canal Digital TPs, but not all of them. And I think it was the K1 and T1 (the two 1's, IIRC) beams that were weak, getting sniffs, but would loose them easily in a bit of wind or cloud cover, as the dish would have been pointed to try and get the Intelsat spots as well. Far from ideal with a Sky dish. Trying to get the dish at a sweet point for all of them was impossible.

The other beams on Thor 5 and 6 were quite strong as I recall. Don't know how the K1 and T1 beams would fare with an 80cm, sorry. Better than a 60cm, but good enough for rain, I wouldn't know (I wouldn't think so). I've only really mucked about with the 60cm; the fixed 80cm generally remains fixed.

• Advertisement

Iv put one up at the back, 80 cm, pulling the tp's i wanted in, and more, so il put up a 88 just to be safe,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

you'll get the K2 beams and the T beams here no problems with a 60cm, even here on the west coast, but you wont get much else. The K1 beams need at least a 1.2m for steady reception on east coast but soon after Dublin heading west that beam really drops off.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Piri

I have 110 cm dish for Thor 0.8 West
    Smaller disc does not work here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

I have 1.25m dish in Cork City and I'm looking to get a UPC Direct card for Slovak and Czech channels, just wanna make sure this dish with a 0.2db LNB will be good enough? Need to get Markiza, JOJ, STV etc.

According to this map of Thor 6 it looks very difficult to get in Cork, and not possible with a 1.25m dish.. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

• Advertisement

you'll get the K2 beams and the T beams here no problems with a 60cm, even here on the west coast, but you wont get much else. The K1 beams need at least a 1.2m for steady reception on east coast but soon after Dublin heading west that beam really drops off.

Snaps is correct

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Up in Donegal the Thor 6 K2 beam is really difficult to get, Thor 5 is easier with a Triax TD110, getting a few of the Slovak and Czech channels from UPC.
    Using Digi TV for Joj, Markiza etc, on Intelsat 10-02 at the same location, 0.8W is much easier anywhere in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,304 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

snaps wrote: »

I am getting K1 in Dundalk at good strength on 1.1m dish. Strongest TP's are 10747 H and 10934 V 61%, weakest 10841 H 52% on AzBox. Bigger dish is always better but I think you could get away with 1m on east coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Piri

Dave147 wrote: »
    I have 1.25m dish in Cork City and I'm looking to get a UPC Direct card for Slovak and Czech channels, just wanna make sure this dish with a 0.2db LNB will be good enough? Need to get Markiza, JOJ, STV etc.

One Slovakian fellow using 120 cm dish for UPC in Fermoy
    It is enough 70% signal

That's great, I'm going to order the UPC card later on. Hopefully it'll work for me in the city :)

Let us know how you get on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

I usually use a 1.2metre dish minimum here in Limerick for Thor 5....especially for Slovakian tv...

Ive installed a few 1.2m for the UPC slovakian channels. Even with that size dish the bad weather does affect it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 246 ✭✭pelisor2000

Is anyone receiving Thor 5/6 on east coast using 88cm dish ? can you post results, Minimum dish size required. Havent it set up at my place at the moment. Im getting conflicting reports ranging from 80cm to 1 mtr

I have 88cm triax on the motor... DIGI TV and UPC on Thor with no problems..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

I have 88cm triax on the motor... DIGI TV and UPC on Thor with no problems..

Lucky you. On the east coast it's inside the foot print, but in west and north west, very difficult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,332 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Do you reckon its possible to get 12.265 K2 on a 60 cm?

you'll get the K2 beams and the T beams here no problems with a 60cm,

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 246 ✭✭pelisor2000

Healy1 wrote: »
    should i be able to pick up thor in waterford,
    have 1.1m motorised,

in particular im looking for Tv2 PL 1.2.3 hd

any info appreciated.

You should be able to, i can get them in good weather on a 1.1m, but yesterday there wasnt a sniff of signal with the heavy rain.

Advertisement