Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are Jose and Real Madrid done?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Jesus christ, ITV you absolute clowns. Did he need to go to the jacks or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

He's probably going to City IMO

Hardly with Txiki Begiristain and Ferran Soriano as DoF and CEO respectively, both despise the man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Dunno why people are saying he was about to reveal he was going back to Chelsea, or that he basically said he will be at Chelsea next season.

He didnt, he said maybe he wont be at Madrid next year, and he also said he likes to be where he is loved.

The reporter (after idiotically cutting him off) said, we will take that to mean England then and signed off. Jose just made a face then

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Brilliant from ITV. Pulled the carpet from under him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

kryogen wrote: »
    Dunno why people are saying he was about to reveal he was going back to Chelsea, or that he basically said he will be at Chelsea next season.

He didnt, he said maybe he wont be at Madrid next year, and he also said he likes to be where he is loved.

The reporter (after idiotically cutting him off) said, we will take that to mean England then and signed off. Jose just made a face then

He would obviously never say it directly but the part about where he is loved means that the fans already have a reason to love him which suggests a club he's already managed.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

And that is why people who don't love the game are **** presenters.

Any football fan there would have asked him the question and got an answer regardless of being cut off. You had the opportunity to find out where Jose was going to and you cut back to studio. F**k off. He I guess didn't care where Jose was going, only not wanting to get into trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

lordgoat wrote: »

Any football fan there would have asked him the question and got an answer regardless of being cut off. You had the opportunity to find out where Jose was going to and you cut back to studio. F**k off. He I guess didn't care where Jose was going, only not wanting to get into trouble.

Whether he loves football or not he should still have kept the interview going, it's journalism 101. He totally bottled it, must have been starstruck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Lukker- wrote: »
    He would obviously never say it directly but the part about where he is loved means that the fans already have a reason to love him which suggests a club he's already managed.

Meh, to me it simply meant England, not a specific club, England. He is loved in England, by fans and media alike

Jesus the United fans love him by and large never mind the Chelsea fans!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

BJIXCqCCAAAsjIj.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Not sure if this is true, but...

Ronaldo: "Mourinho? I don't care about him. I care about Real Madrid and me."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Mourinho said to Spanish TV that he doesn't know where he will be next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Clearly you're man was turtle heading

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

I put that into Google Translate and my computer burst into flames. Damn you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

:confused:
    Definition supplied by the ever-useful Urban Dictionary;)

Turtle heading is when you need to take a shít and it is starting to peer out of your ass. Like a turtle coming out of his shell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

lordgoat wrote: »

Bit harsh on Gabriel Clarke to say he doesn't love the game, I remember listening to him narrate voiceovers for Endsleigh League highlights back in the day and he's very good at his job.

Whether he made an error or not tonight, he's always been a football man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Hes definately gone judging from that interview and on his way to Chelsea, but I think everyone knew that already

Would people be surprised if he ended up at City?

• Advertisement

Fergie to retire and Mourinho to step in?

I wonder what the odds on him being the Utd boss in August are.

Unlikely but when Fergie retires it probably will be a sudden thing.

Would he not have the same problems at Chelsea if he went back with the owner etc?

Leaves only one other club in England - City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

Could be Arsenal if the rumours of Wenger heading to PSG are to be believed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

At this stage I won't believe anything until I see him in the dugout but why mention that he is loved by 'especially one' club if his intentions are not to go to that club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Reporter should have let JM continue.
    Two things happen then.
    a) The studio people could decide to stop broadcasting but at least they have the scoop recorded and could have shown it later.

b) On the fly they could decide to show it live and just eat into the 60 seconds allocated for Chiles and the guests to close out the program. (Chiles could have closed it in 2 seconds with a Partridge-esque 'And on that bombshell....' )

They went for the worst of all options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Reporter should have let JM continue.
    Two things happen then.
    a) The studio people could decide to stop broadcasting but at least they have the scoop recorded and could have shown it later.

b) On the fly they could decide to show it live and just eat into the 60 seconds allocated for Chiles and the guests to close out the program. (Chiles could have closed it in 2 seconds with a Partridge-esque 'And on that bombshell....' )

They went for the worst of all options.

Or as I mentioned on the Chelsea thread, it could have been done deliberately by ITV and Jose to get everyone wound up. Job well done I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

No conspiracy theory, ITV were simply doing what they're scheduling dictated. Maybe people can lay off Clarke now.

http://www.itv.com/sport/football/article/2013-05-01/the-mourinho-dilemma/
    Comment: The Mourinho Dilemma

When Jose Mourinho walks up to ITV Sport's hugely experienced reporter Gabriel Clarke with two minutes of a live show to go, the producer faces a major dilemma.

Does he ignore the Special One, leaving the viewers at home none the wiser, guaranteeing a smooth end to the broadcast?

Or does he speak quickly into presenter Adrian Chiles's ear and ask him to pause Roy Keane so that the British public get to hear the views of the most enigmatic manager in the game?

The easy thing to do is nothing. But the brave and journalistically correct thing to do is jump live to the interview zone and let Gabriel set about the Madrid manager in his inimitable way.

Last night in the Santiago Bernabeu the ITV Sport team faced this exact dilemma and the programme producer made exactly the right call.

Understandably many viewers were disappointed not to hear more from Mourinho, though he revealed nothing more at a lengthy press conference a little later. Couldn't we have stayed with the programme a little longer to hear more of his thoughts? Well, unfortunately the answer at that stage was no.

Why? The transmission of programmes in the modern era is a complicated business. The digital age means that shows are delivered to the viewers by computerised systems based the length and breadth of the UK. Yes, we can change the timings of shows – but not at a minute's notice. If we'd known Jose Mourinho might suddenly appear we could request a programme overrun of a minute or two, as long as there was still at least five minutes of the show to run.

But as a British broadcaster at a match between teams from Spain and Germany, the fact is we're pretty low down the pecking order when it comes to interview requests.

Which explains why Jose Mourinho arrived at the ITV position, in front of Gabriel, at almost 10pm, more than 20 minutes after the final whistle.

So back to that moment… Jose steps into the interview position. There are two minutes on the clock before the show ends. It's too late to get an overrun. Do we dive to the Mourinho interview and risk the show having a difficult end? Of course we do. The viewers want to hear from him, just as we do. Even if it's for just 90 seconds.

Tony Pastor is Controller of Sport Production for ITV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

THFC wrote: »
    Definition supplied by the ever-useful Urban Dictionary;)

Turtle heading is when you need to take a shít and it is starting to peer out of your ass. Like a turtle coming out of his shell.

Well holy god

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Well holy god

Readers of Viz would be well familiar with this term

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

greendom wrote: »
    Readers of Viz would be well familiar with this term

Or Glenroe

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

The Mourinho myth broken down:

Porto league success: 1984–85, 1985–86, 1987–88, 1989–90, 1991–92, 1992–93, 1994–95, 1995–96, 1996–97, 1997–98, 1998–99, 2002–03, 2003–04, 2005–06, 2006–07, 2007–08, 2008–09, 2010–11, 2011–12, Not exactly an unbelievable achievement to win the league with them. Then they won the champions league in an unusual year they had to overcome an average Monaco in the final.

He went to an already expensively assembled chelsea squad that spent 151m just the season before. He then spent 142m the following season, he spent 360m there in total. He then spent 136m at Inter, whose competition were relegated or deducted league points due to cheating an bribery. He jumped ship as they ran into financial instability due to the spending, then at his first season at Madrid he spent 227m, he totalled 386m there.

Now i will be the first to agree he is an excellent coach, but let us be honest, has he ever actually proven himself, has he ever managed at a club where he could not simply buy his way to success, he must be the only coach in history that has been so fortunate, anybody that says money doesn't 'almost' guarantee success, is kidding themself.

Perhaps the world press see him for what he is and think the damage he causes by his revolting actions brings the sport into disripute, whereas the English press see new weekly stories to write about regardless of the damage he causes to the sport. As much as some hope, there is no chance he is going to chelsea imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Are the myth and Mourinho done?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

leonidas83 wrote: »

Porto league success: 1984–85, 1985–86, 1987–88, 1989–90, 1991–92, 1992–93, 1994–95, 1995–96, 1996–97, 1997–98, 1998–99, 2002–03, 2003–04, 2005–06, 2006–07, 2007–08, 2008–09, 2010–11, 2011–12, Not exactly an unbelievable achievement to win the league with them. Then they won the champions league in an unusual year they had to overcome an average Monaco in the final.

He went to an already expensively assembled chelsea squad that spent 151m just the season before. He then spent 142m the following season, he spent 360m there in total. He then spent 136m at Inter, whose competition were relegated or deducted league points due to cheating an bribery. He jumped ship as they ran into financial instability due to the spending, then at his first season at Madrid he spent 227m, he totalled 386m there.

Everyone spends money, hell Man City have spent bucket loads and have at the moment an FA Cup and 1 league title to show for it as well as doing sweet f**k all in the UCL.
    Now i will be the first to agree he is an excellent coach,[/COLOR]
    Then stop there.
    but let us be honest, has he ever actually proven himself, has he ever managed at a club where he could not simply buy his way to success, he must be the only coach in history that has been so fortunate, anybody that says money doesn't 'almost' guarantee success, is kidding themself.

Cant deny money buys success but without the right manager you wont be able to blend it all together and get it to work.[/LEFT]
    Perhaps the world press see him for what he is and think the damage he causes by his revolting actions brings the sport into disripute, whereas the English press see new weekly stories to write about regardless of the damage he causes to the sport.

Ah heyor, at worse hes a panto villain, nearly all of his actions take away from his teams performance and dispalys and focuses the press on him rightly or wrongly.
    As much as some hope, there is no chance he is going to chelsea imo.

Book marked for the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

he must be the only coach in history that has been so fortunate

See Guardiola, Pep

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Would be nice to see Mourinho work under a more stricter budget and a lesser name club or one just below the tier of top clubs at this moment in time I must admit. Before anyone says Porto, they could hoover up the best talents in Portugal for many a year and their reputation in South American has always been very high in the football world for bringing through South American talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Now i will be the first to agree he is an excellent coach, but let us be honest, has he ever actually proven himself, has he ever managed at a club where he could not simply buy his way to success, he must be the only coach in history that has been so fortunate, anybody that says money doesn't 'almost' guarantee success, is kidding themself.

Perhaps the world press see him for what he is and think the damage he causes by his revolting actions brings the sport into disripute, whereas the English press see new weekly stories to write about regardless of the damage he causes to the sport. As much as some hope, there is no chance he is going to chelsea imo.

You can't just dismiss winning the Champions league with Porto. You're also forgetting he won the UEFA cup with them the year before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Would be nice to see Mourinho work under a more stricter budget and a lesser name club or one just below the tier of top clubs at this moment in time I must admit. Before anyone says Porto, they could hoover up the best talents in Portugal for many a year and their reputation in South American has always been very high in the football world for bringing through South American talent.

I think I can read between the lines here, and I wholly concur that Mourinho should manage Villa.

We'll give Lambo a few more years though, and see how he pans out.

:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

He originally was meant to go to Newcastle as Robson assistant coach with the promise of his job two years later but said no because he didn't think Robson would leave the post. I think a club like Newcastle would allow him to prove beyond doubt he's the GOAT if he brought them a premier league during his stint there. Very unlikely he goes there though though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I'd like to see his Inter spending and selling stats. I was under the impression he atleast broke even in his spending. Open to correction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Uefa Cup and CL in subsequent years with Porto. All he had to do thereafter was prove it wasn't a fluke. League titles in England, Italy and Spain and an all conquering treble with Inter proved it wasn't a fluke.

In three years at Madrid he has a league and two cups. Winning the shootout against Bayern last year or grabbing a third on Tuesday night really are the difference between the time being viewed as a success or failure. Thems the margins in football.

He'll go somewhere else and win some more trophies and I'll hopefully be around to bump this thread when he does. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Uefa Cup and CL in subsequent years with Porto. All he had to do thereafter was prove it wasn't a fluke. League titles in England, Italy and Spain and an all conquering treble with Inter proved it wasn't a fluke.

In three years at Madrid he has a league and two cups. Winning the shootout against Bayern last year or grabbing a third on Tuesday night really are the difference between the time being viewed as a success or failure. Thems the margins in football.

He'll go somewhere else and win some more trophies and I'll hopefully be around to bump this thread when he does. ;)

Exactly.

There is no myth about him. He is a winner, and backs it up at every club. It says everything about the man that his Madrid stint is seen as his worse job despite being on course to win a trophy in all three seasons

Advertisement