Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Turned down for JSA. Appeal??

• 20-01-2011 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I'm 25 and applied for jobseekers allowance for the first time as I'm unemployed. They rejected it and in the letter claimed the reason as

"failed to provide evidence that you are making an ongoing effort to secure full-time work from employers with advertised vacancies"

I listed several jobs I applied for over the past 3 months on my original claim so this seems a bit off to me.

Anyway, I was wondering if somebody could give me some advice on what exactly to put on my appeal form. Should I print out a newspaper add and put it with it? Print out a bunch of listings on jobs.ie? I mean, what exactly do they want. I want to make sure that im providing the type of evidence they want.

I read that over 50% of Social welfare applicants were turned down last year.....and over 50% of the people that appealed were successful. I'd like to make sure I'm one of those people as tbh, im broke and can't find a job.

Any advice as to what to put down is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gulliver

You need rejection letters from the jobs you applied to. This is the only evidence they will accept. If, as seems to be the case since the recession, employers don't even bother their hole telling people that the job is gone, you'll have to contact them and look for a letter. You'll feel like a beggar, cap in hand "Can I have a letter, please?" but it has to be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

When i was on dole after about 6 weeks i had to fill in a form about what jobs i applied for.

I didn't have any rejection letters, but printed off emails i sent to job adverts. That was accepted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Jambon7

Thanks for the replies guys.

So a rejection letter...and copies of my applications seem to be the way to go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭donegal11

Jambon7 wrote: »

I read that over 50% of Social welfare applicants were turned down last year.....and over 50% of the people that appealed were successful. I'd like to make sure I'm one of those people as tbh, im broke and can't find a job.
    for some reason I highly doubt that 50% of SW claims for JA were turned down, source?? anyway when i claimed there was no need for documented evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Jambon7

I didn't just say "JSA"...i said overall social welfare. Its in my post. I read it a good while ago.

But i did a google search and found a link. http://dublinobserver.com/2010/09/welfare-appeals-huge-with-50-wrongly-rejected/

A few of the figures and stuff were botched from my own memory...but the jist of it is there. appeal success rate etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

That article does not say 50% of Jobseeker's Allowance claims are disallowed.
    It states 50% of appeals were successful.
    However, if you want correct information on the appeals have a look here
    While 43% of appeals had a successful outcome for the appellant, of the 8,697 favourable decisions in appeals cases, almost two thirds of those decisions - 5,212 - were revised decisions made by statutorily appointed deciding officers of my Department who reviewed the claim following the initial disallowance. In many cases those revised decisions arose as a result of new facts or fresh evidence produced by the claimant after the original decision on his or her claim. In such cases an appeals officer decision was not necessary. In addition, it should be noted that of the 12,692 appeals decided by appeals officers, a total of 9,207, or 73%, upheld the original decision of the deciding officer.

Anyway, back on topic.
    One of the conditions of receiving Jobseeker's Allowance is that you are looking for work. If you are looking for work and available for full time work, you need to provide proof of this - jobs you have applied for, rejection letters you may have received, interviews you attended, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gulliver

When i was on dole after about 6 weeks i had to fill in a form about what jobs i applied for.

I didn't have any rejection letters, but printed off emails i sent to job adverts. That was accepted.

Some places are less strict than others. I suppose it depends on your local office. Send off the list and any rejections you have, OP. You have (unfortunately) nothing to lose. Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭upinthesky

go into the citizens information center and tell them you have been turned down foe jsa bring any jobs you have applied for news paper cuttings ext they will give you a letter to send with your appeal i was turned down for jsb before i appealed it and they still wouldn't except my appeal then i went to the c information for advice i got a meeting to go to in Dublin and won my appeal

Advertisement