Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

White sauce from soya milk???

Options
  • 20-01-2011 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

I'm hoping to make a lasagna that I can eat with my new diet restrictions (i.e. no wheat, beef, dairy etc).

I was thinking of lamb mince in a tomatoey sauce divided by layers of either wilted spinach or grilled courgette strips. Okay so maybe more like a moussaka.

But I'm stuck on what to use for the white sauce bit. Has anyone ever tried making it from soya milk and what could I use to thicken it? I can have rice and wheat in very small quantities so I guess if I've used nothing else off my "restricted list" in the dish I could use a small bit of flour but I'd rather do it by the book and then I can eat it more regularly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

I did try making white sauce from soya milk once and it tasted like muck. almost sweet. distinctly wierd.

you should be able to use cornflour to thicken sauces though, its not wheat based.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

What about making it from goat milk, thickened with cornflour? It would have that distinctive goat milk flavour, that kind of mustiness, but that could go very well with a meat ragu and griddled aubergine layers.

Soy milk is, imo, not really food. It's a very processed and odd product. It tastes bad when used in cooking. I'd say go with natural products if you can. But if you do use it, you can use cornflour to thicken, as said above.

It is dairy or lactose you are intolerant of? Because there is lactose free milk and lactose free cream cheese out there, and both of those could be used to make a white sauce for a lasagna.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭duracell_bunny

It is dairy or lactose you are intolerant of? Because there is lactose free milk and lactose free cream cheese out there, and both of those could be used to make a white sauce for a lasagna.

Unfortunately its the cow that I'm intolerant of so anything from a cow, i.e. the meat, the milk...., is out. I have been eating feta cheese made from 50% goat and 50% sheep milk but I find goats milk absolutely repulsive.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Maybe I should just put the meat ragu into a hollowed out marrow/fat courgette and give up on the lasagna idea!!

Advertisement