Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going To An Away Game

Options
  • 20-01-2011 12:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I'm going to Newcastle - Spurs at the weekend. It's my first ever Premier League and Spurs game. I'm going as a Spurs fan with two Newcastle fans and a neutral. I'll be in the home section with all the Newcastle fans.

I'm guessing wearing a Spurs shirt in this section is a definite no-no then?

Has anybody made the trip to Newcastle before and if so where would be the best places to go from a Spurs perspective in terms of pubs etc? We intend to mix it up a bit going to places both for me and my Newcastle supporting friends.

Any advice on this or general advice would be appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

flyswatter wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I'm going to Newcastle - Spurs at the weekend. It's my first ever Premier League and Spurs game. I'm going as a Spurs fan with two Newcastle fans and a neutral. I'll be in the home section with all the Newcastle fans.

I'm guessing wearing a Spurs shirt in this section is a definite no-no then?

Has anybody made the trip to Newcastle before and if so where would be the best places to go from a Spurs perspective in terms of pubs etc? We intend to mix it up a bit going to places both for me and my Newcastle supporting friends.

Any advice on this or general advice would be appreciated.
    Definetly wouldn't wear Spurs colours

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

I have never been to SJP, but found this online.

The ground is one of the few in the country that is literally right in the centre of the city. You are only a few minutes walk from the main shopping areas of Newcastle. There are plenty of bars to choose from in the city centre, but most away fans tend to favour the pubs opposite and around Newcastle Railway Station. The 'A Head Of Steam' 'The Lounge' and 'O'Neills' are all recommended, but some of these bars w ill only admit fans if colours are covered and none of them admitted children. Also nearby is a Wetherspoons outlet called the Union Rooms. Alternatively there is Idols which has strippers and is popular with both home and away fans .

On my last visit I went to the Bodega on Westgate Road and had no problems. This pus is listed in the CAMRA Good Beer Guide and had a friendly atmosphere. Closer to the ground (and just around the corner from China Town which is good for a cheap lunch) is the Newcastle Arms on St Andrews Street. This pub is also in the Good Beer Guide, but unless you arrive very early and have no colours you are unlikely to gain entrance. Just down the road is 'The Backpage' book shop, which is an oasis of football books (including a great football ground guide book..), DVD's, programmes and memorabilia. Alcohol is also served within the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Was up there in 2006 and went into a place called The Goose which is very near the ground and was full of Spurs pre and post match. As already mentioned forget the colours if you're in with the geordies.

http://www.pubsnewcastle.co.uk/GooseattheGardens.html

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

If your ever stuck for info on an away trip check this site:

http://www.footballgroundguide.com/

My first port of call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Well, that was a decent game! St James's is a top stadium, so accessible, had a great view (Gallowgate end). Plenty of legroom, great fans and atmosphere.

Had to restrain myself when Lennon scored or I would have got looks :D

I thought Modric was very good, he seemed to be everywhere. Really wanted to see Bale, even at left back. I was disappointed when he came off so early.

Lennon looked dangerous at times and was rewarded. VDV was quiet, strikers were largely ineffective. It's been said before, we need a world class striker, we have good one's sure but not great.

Totally recommend the trip up North for anyone thinking of going next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

flyswatter wrote: »
    Had to restrain myself when Lennon scored or I would have got looks :D

I bet your friends had a few choice words to say though. :D

Advertisement