Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aerlingus Cabin Crew want the best of both worlds

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 ilovebiccies

yeah suppose....dunno how they gonna be able to really use that against them really. and i was not nosy enough long enough to listen to end of conversation...hehehehe:D,...but that was late for anyone to be knocking on your door. suppose...urgent is urgent maybe.
    still...i do think i am going to support the cabin crew...nice to see the employees stand up for themselves and beat amnagement for a change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭cabincrew

not getting involved in tit for tat....was sitting on the fence really until i just couldn get over the mandy30 comments. i know everyone entitled to opinions but she just was coming across bitter and twisted. anyhow...we both are lucky enough to be in jobs in this household and i am ashamed to say i am not very familiar with all these employment and equality laws and whatever else there seems to be. the thing with the data protection too....surely you cannot give out an employees detials without them giving the go ahead. i know for one i would be very angry if my employer gave my number out. howeer i hope i never have to get letters like those ones from him!! what ever happened to an post....can they not just use that service?

Yes, they gave the courier the crews mobile number,and also a next of kin when they couldnt get through.i kid you not, this is 100 percent true.under the data protection act it is against the law.i believe the courier was telling the crew how sorry they were that they had to deliver the letter.so obviously they knew with all the media etc what it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭kevinmcc

cabincrew wrote: »
    Yes, they gave the courier the crews mobile number,and also a next of kin when they couldnt get through.i kid you not, this is 100 percent true.under the data protection act it is against the law.i believe the courier was telling the crew how sorry they were that they had to deliver the letter.so obviously they knew with all the media etc what it was.

You mean they gave the next of kin as in their telephone number? Perhaps this was because said crew member had it listed as one of theirs? Any proof or just hearsay? Because that part was not reported anywhere?

If the envelope is marked as the sender being aer lingus and the driver takes it upon himself to start apologising, speculating what is inside from what they are hearing on the media, in fairness i'd imagine it's more a complaint about the driver than aer lingus breaking data proteection do you not agree?

ok cabincrew....having read your comments...i am totally with you. have flown with ye quite a few times over the years to the states and a few city breaks and ye really are lovely to fly with. early morning flights and ye manage to be chirpy and cheery and always seem to have to put up with one or two people who..lets just say....are not morning people!!....ye are always friendly and helping and i always have enjoyed my flight. i am glad to see that ye are standing up for yourselves and are not letting yourself be bullied by this man. i saw the news clip of you all marching outside the airport....very impressive.

good luck with it all and i hope to see a positive outcome in the next few days for you all.

ok cabincrew....having read your comments...i am totally with you. have flown with ye quite a few times over the years to the states and a few city breaks and ye really are lovely to fly with. early morning flights and ye manage to be chirpy and cheery and always seem to have to put up with one or two people who..lets just say....are not morning people!!....ye are always friendly and helping and i always have enjoyed my flight. i am glad to see that ye are standing up for yourselves and are not letting yourself be bullied by this man. i saw the news clip of you all marching outside the airport....very impressive.

good luck with it all and i hope to see a positive outcome in the next few days for you all.

ah that is lovely and im glad you had a nice experience..that's what we love about our jobs,and sure the moaners ya get everywhere!!!we are people persons,and the job allows us do what best suits the people that we are.thank you very much and i hope u get to sleep soon xx

• Advertisement

just off a week of nights...should start to doze off when the sunrises!!!

kevinmcc wrote: »
    You mean they gave the next of kin as in their telephone number? Perhaps this was because said crew member had it listed as one of theirs? Any proof or just hearsay? Because that part was not reported anywhere?

If the envelope is marked as the sender being aer lingus and the driver takes it upon himself to start apologising, speculating what is inside from what they are hearing on the media, in fairness i'd imagine it's more a complaint about the driver than aer lingus breaking data proteection do you not agree?

yes the next of kin number..it does not matter if they could or could not get thru bottom line is ITS AGAINST THE LAW they should have had a procedure where if there was no answer at the door the courier ring EI who in turn rings the person themselves.thats how it should be done.

Each to their own, I've flown EI twice transatlantic and both experiences have been poor in terms of lack of service and lack of crew on the aisles.
    I much prefer Continental. Excellent service from their crew every time.

However short haul EI are good, although I reckon that's cause they're compared to the likes of Ryanair on shorter routes :D

yes the next of kin number..it does not matter if they could or could not get thru bottom line is ITS AGAINST THE LAW they should have had a procedure where if there was no answer at the door the courier ring EI who in turn rings the person themselves.thats how it should be done.

And you know for a fact that said mobile number wasn't listed as one of the crew's contact number when they submitted the info to EI? I suggest you wait for the facts to come out instead of going by hearsay.

just off a week of nights...should start to doze off when the sunrises!!!

ah yikes!!! i know how it feels,i was nursing before ei and remember how wired you get!!! even still with the hours we do at ei..looking for chocolate at 4am is not good on the digestive system!!!

• Advertisement

And you know for a fact that said mobile number wasn't listed as one of the crew's contact number when they submitted the info to EI? I suggest you wait for the facts to come out instead of going by hearsay.

for god sake i know for a fact.we all have to give a personal contact number (that is compulsory) but we also have to give a next of kin contact number god for bid something happens to you.i was speaking to the girl 2days ago.

for god sake i know for a fact.we all have to give a personal contact number (that is compulsory) but we also have to give a next of kin contact number god for bid something happens to you.i was speaking to the girl 2days ago.

Yes and what I said is I'll believe it when I see it. Did you see her personal info from EI? Did you see if she wrote her next of kin's number under her contact info also? Thought not.

Each to their own, I've flown EI twice transatlantic and both experiences have been poor in terms of lack of service and lack of crew on the aisles.
    I much prefer Continental. Excellent service from their crew every time.

However short haul EI are good, although I reckon that's cause they're compared to the likes of Ryanair on shorter routes :D

well i am very sorry you had bad experiences with us.i can assure you bad crew at ei are very rare.we have won numerous award for our customer service etc..i agree that our service product is not great,but that is not crews fault we constantly ask for a better product for passengers.

Yes and what I said is I'll believe it when I see it. Did you see her personal info from EI? Did you see if she wrote her next of kin's number under her contact info also? Thought not.

The point is no one has the right to give your personal number to anyone without your permission.thats indisputable

well i am very sorry you had bad experiences with us.i can assure you bad crew at ei are very rare.we have won numerous award for our customer service etc..i agree that our service product is not great,but that is not crews fault we constantly ask for a better product for passengers.

Perhaps, but you do not need to ask EI for better customer service. Have you ever flown with Virgin America? And I'm not talking about their product, i'm talking about the C.S. skills their crew have are second to none.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

not getting involved in tit for tat....was sitting on the fence really until i just couldn get over the mandy30 comments. i know everyone entitled to opinions but she just was coming across bitter and twisted. anyhow...we both are lucky enough to be in jobs in this household and i am ashamed to say i am not very familiar with all these employment and equality laws and whatever else there seems to be. the thing with the data protection too....surely you cannot give out an employees detials without them giving the go ahead. i know for one i would be very angry if my employer gave my number out. howeer i hope i never have to get letters like those ones from him!! what ever happened to an post....can they not just use that service?

Could I suggest that you see where the posts are coming from here.

Check the post counts and by and large the low post count 'newbies' are here to defend their position, and they are entitled to do that.

Not all mind you.

This thing has being negotiated for the last 15 months..... 15 months.

There is a deafening silence from Impact other than spurious claims of 'discrimination'.

Everybody else in Aer lingus seems to have signed up and is getting on with things.

Looks like the CC and Union have bitten off more than they can chew.

Don't take as gospel anything you see here and that applies to both sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

I personally prefer to fly with US carriers - I find them far chirpier (but very professional) then AL crew.

AL - the "friendly" airline, methinks not.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭mandy30

I am not bitter and twisted I'm afraid. I am stating fact.
    I worked there. I seen what they are moaning about.
    I do not agree with any of it.
    End of story.

Continue eavesdropping in shops to girls giving out. Clearly thats where all the facts come from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Excuse my ignorance but why do Aer Lingus have to reveal hiring-in costs? Or do they have to?

Renn wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance but why do Aer Lingus have to reveal hiring-in costs? Or do they have to?

Just the union. Stirring the **** again. Trying to deflect the attention away from the crap they are doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Yeah it just seems pretty bizarre. I presume Aer Lingus will just tell them to go f*ck themselves?

I hope they do. Muller does not seem the type of guy to bow down to the unions.

Finally someone with an iron fist has come along to clean out the relics from the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭scorpioishere

Aer lingus is crap and the crew always moan about something. Everytime i travel with EI i always saw the staff at Butlers Coffee shop having a chat, drinking coffee, gossiping. Well i was told by one of the crew one day that they hate European routes but likes the American one as they got to do shopping there and more money in pocket. Now don't come and tell me about roasters if you dnt like doing the job, quit as there are lots of people willing to do the job. You EI crew are so greedy and selfish. Look how Ryanair are doing well, never heard their crew having a strike, why, because they are hardworking people. Am sure Ryanair crew have kids too but how they manage and you can't? You've been spoiled for a very long time so its time to to do a bit of work now EI crews.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

This thread is full to the neck of people making comments that they know absolutely nothing about.

You really need to have some sort of grasp on the aviation industry to have an informed opinion on all of this dispute.

What has Aerlingus staff getting a tea or coffee in Butlers got to do with this dispute scorpioishere?
    They could have been ground staff for all you know, this dispute is got to do with Cabin Crew.

I agree that there are a lot of old ways in Aerlingus that needs to be eradicated in order for the company to be profitable but I think the way the company is going about it is not the correct way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

If I were the Cabin crew I'd be very, very careful about how they treat this situation.

No offense to them is intended but from what I've heard from former CC staff on various airlines, 6-8 weeks is the general training time to get a fresh person ready to be a member of the CC. If the position requires so little training compare to other careers then the staff can be very easily replaced.

In the current climate with so many unemployed service staff on the live register it wouldn't be very hard for EI to employ temporary staff for a month or two, lay off the troublemakers and hire new employees on more flexible contracts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 kate74

I have to agree, on the regular 0630 am flight I take the crew are always smiling and friendly. I couldn't do their job, mainly as I don't like flying but it is really apparent that Aer Lingus crews enjoy what they do. I'm shocked that their bosses can treat them like this with such contempt and bullying. I'm fully supportive of the crew and as I said earlier really hope my flight next week is not on a Ryanair or other carrier.

kate74 wrote: »
    I have to agree, on the regular 0630 am flight I take the crew are always smiling and friendly. I couldn't do their job..

Wow they are smiling and friendly, isn't that what CC are getting paid to do?

Why couldn't you do their job? it's not rocket science.

I do hope EI fire some crew this week and begin to rehire. Some fresh faces is what EI needs anyway, the transatlantic routes are always operated by the 'take it for granted' elderly staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 kate74

Wow they are smiling and friendly, isn't that what CC are getting paid to do?

Why couldn't you do their job? it's not rocket science.[/QUOTE

I have flown with many other airlines who's cabin crew are certainly not as warm or professional as AL crew, I'm sure they are being paid to do thier job too. I couldn't do the job as I have already said I prefer not to fly, used to love it but in recent years have become nervous but I have to say I do feel safer with AL, that's my opinion and I certainly don't want to fly with a hire in carrier during this dispute

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

the crew are always smiling and friendly. .

So they are doing what they are paid to do? What't the big deal.

BTW, I generally find the staff on the US Carriers (who are paid a lot less and don't have the easy conditions of AL staff) to be far friendlier and professional then AL staff.

I have flown with many other airlines who's cabin crew are certainly not as warm or professional as AL crew, I'm sure they are being paid to do thier job too. I couldn't do the job as I have already said I prefer not to fly, used to love it but in recent years have become nervous but I have to say I do feel safer with AL, that's my opinion and I certainly don't want to fly with a hire in carrier during this dispute

Really? Ryanair are about the only airline I have found less friendlier than EI. EI's transatlantic crew anytime I have flown lack in customer service. As I said the US carriers are far better. And they're likely getting paid around half of what EI crew get. Would you not be smiling too Katy if you were getting a starting salary of 20K plus commission rising on a scale up to 38K with EI? Never mind all the other benefits.

I've worked for a transatlantic airline who deliberately has their salary set low as they know it's relatively cheap and quick to train new crew. And to be honest their customer service was excellent, fresh faces is what's needed, not people who have been working in EI for a lifetime and don't like change, if you can't adapt to change then working as airline crew ain't for them. Go get a job elsewhere.

From breakingnews.ie http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/aer-lingus-losses-far-exceed-cost-of-hiring-planes-during-dispute-490576.html#ixzz1BxME8O58
    Aer Lingus says the losses it has incurred due to lost bookings, because of the ongoing dispute over rosters, has far exceeded the cost of hiring planes and crew from other carriers.

The airline made its comments after trade union IMPACT called on it to reveal how much it was costing the airline to hire planes and crew. IMAPCT suggested the costs could be up to €400,000 a day.

The dispute is now into its second week and passengers were disrupted by cancellations last week, leading to the company being forced to hire outside help.

Nice comeback, what business is it of IMPACT making demands wanting to know how much the hiring of planes is costing, WTF has that got to do with them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Skadoosh

I know this is my first post and is on a controversial topic, but I'm a member of boards.ie under another username and because of some things I posted, I didn't want my DH who I'm talking about here to be identifiable.
    xxx000 wrote: »
    I know a few people who work for aer lingus on the ground and even they are aggreing with the collegues, the crew. The pilots are also supporting them as are anyone who bothers, like myself, to get the real facts on the dispute - not just the "they're whingers and old fat ladies lucky to have a job" attitude that you seem to have!!!!!

This is patently untrue. My DH is ground staff and I can tell you there is no sympathy for cabin crew. Other staff have given up a lot more than cabin crew ever did, now it's their time to stump up to keep the airline operational and they're balking. The pilots are Impact too and historically the pilots and cabin crew have seen themselves as untouchable. They prefer the rest of the airline to take the pain and the changes in work practices and the loss of perks and changes in hours, etc., etc., that they've taken over the years, while they give as little as possible. There has always been a "them and us" attitude in AL where cabin crew and pilots are the cream of the crop and the plebs in all other sections are the ones whom the company should look to for any cost savings.

It's not good enough to say that they didn't sign up to this when they took the job on 20 years ago. That's the economic reality, changes have had to be made to keep businesses afloat. My DH is working in a very different environment to that which he joined in the late 80s, but hey, he's got a job.

Most of what they're complaining about has already been put in place in the other sections of Aer Lingus, i.e., reduced meal breaks, staggered meal breaks, demands for extra flexibility, new early and late shifts (I had one cabin crew member complain to me that she was going to have to start work at 5.00 a.m. Since my DH was in at 3.00 a.m that morning I didn't have a huge amount of sympathy for her TBH), no guaranteed weekend off. Can cabin crew not do swops? (Genuine question, I don't know the answer). The rest of the airline manage by swapping their shifts. It's difficult but they do favours for each other to enable people have time off that they need. It'd be a constant thing in our house for DH to get a text saying "can I have your Monday off and I'll owe you a day, I'm moving house" for example. Can cabin crew not do this? And if they can't, is this a new change or is this the way things were when they joined the airline?

At the end of the day, they entered the arbitration process, made an agreement (voted for it overwhelmingly in fact) and can't now renege on that agreement. End of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Of course it's untrue.

The ground staff are handling the hired in planes as far as I know.

Nothing at all coming from Impact except whinging about costs.

They don't seem to worry about the fact it is tyey who are causing the costs.

Nobody buys that auld chestnut.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

still...i do think i am going to support the cabin crew...nice to see the employees stand up for themselves and beat amnagement for a change.

Nice to see the open mind you entered with!

• Advertisement

@ mandy, i am glad you are not working for aer lingus anymore because you sound like one of those cranky moody girls they are talking about. the guy who said his girliend works for the ground at 0300am...was there not something in the paper about them all getting susstantial payouts to accept these new changes and came back under new terms and conditions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Skadoosh

They changed shift hours years before the redundancy/rehire ever came into effect. They gave up annual leave and had pay freezes and productivity plans over and over again, before there was any talk of rehire.

Some staff accepted a 40% (I think?) wage reduction in return for a redundancy/rehire. The reason it had to be done this way was that there was literally no more to squeeze out of them.

Skadoosh wrote: »
    They changed shift hours years before the redundancy/rehire ever came into effect. They gave up annual leave and had pay freezes and productivity plans over and over again, before there was any talk of rehire.

Some staff accepted a 40% (I think?) wage reduction in return for a redundancy/rehire. The reason it had to be done this way was that there was literally no more to squeeze out of them.

+1. Ground Staff deal with a lot more than CC ever have to put up with and get the least thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

f@ck your strike if i cannot get to where i want

It explains why

We have unions with no power.

People on crap wages.

a goverment who plays golf with manageing directors rather than look after us

Unfortunately the rant about MD's having lunch with government is one sided. Did we forget about the "up-skilling" fund that was given by HSE to one of our beloved unions that never got properly accounted for??

Unions are as corrupt as the government or the banks......

The ME attitude has come out of the big Celtic Tiger era where all people saw was their own interest, however I agree with OP.

Why should the company be held to ransom over few staff. If you don't like it, you know what to do!

On the other side I do not think employees should be bullied to do what they are paid to. The mention of staff being suspended for having a meal break on 11hr's flight is ridiculous and they could sue the company as that breaches health and safety. There is more to that!

Also, if the company is loosing money, do you not think it is ok to change working practises. The way they are going they will have no job very soon! Is that better??

People need to get very realistic about their expectations.

Ask yourself, if you went to work tomorrow and your boss asked you to stay longer to finish something, would you refuse??? Just cos the union is there and have held this company to ransom so many times does not mean they are right!

At the end of the day, company and the employees are the ones who are losing, union is not. Have any of the unions cut their wages yet???

I know this is my first post and is on a controversial topic, but I'm a member of boards.ie under another username and because of some things I posted, I didn't want my DH who I'm talking about here to be identifiable.

This is patently untrue. My DH is ground staff and I can tell you there is no sympathy for cabin crew. Other staff have given up a lot more than cabin crew ever did, now it's their time to stump up to keep the airline operational and they're balking. The pilots are Impact too and historically the pilots and cabin crew have seen themselves as untouchable. They prefer the rest of the airline to take the pain and the changes in work practices and the loss of perks and changes in hours, etc., etc., that they've taken over the years, while they give as little as possible. There has always been a "them and us" attitude in AL where cabin crew and pilots are the cream of the crop and the plebs in all other sections are the ones whom the company should look to for any cost savings.

It's not good enough to say that they didn't sign up to this when they took the job on 20 years ago. That's the economic reality, changes have had to be made to keep businesses afloat. My DH is working in a very different environment to that which he joined in the late 80s, but hey, he's got a job.

Most of what they're complaining about has already been put in place in the other sections of Aer Lingus, i.e., reduced meal breaks, staggered meal breaks, demands for extra flexibility, new early and late shifts (I had one cabin crew member complain to me that she was going to have to start work at 5.00 a.m. Since my DH was in at 3.00 a.m that morning I didn't have a huge amount of sympathy for her TBH), no guaranteed weekend off. Can cabin crew not do swops? (Genuine question, I don't know the answer). The rest of the airline manage by swapping their shifts. It's difficult but they do favours for each other to enable people have time off that they need. It'd be a constant thing in our house for DH to get a text saying "can I have your Monday off and I'll owe you a day, I'm moving house" for example. Can cabin crew not do this? And if they can't, is this a new change or is this the way things were when they joined the airline?

At the end of the day, they entered the arbitration process, made an agreement (voted for it overwhelmingly in fact) and can't now renege on that agreement. End of.

maybe your dad has no support for us and thats his own buisness,perhaps its because he got this 30 grand to leave and come back on a new contract...the ground staff had a choice,take 30 grand to start a new contract..of course they are not moaning...look what they got!!! i have really close friends on the ground at ei who fully support us so dont speak for the lot of them..some by the way who have admitted that since they got the new contracts they earn more than they ever did as they can do so much overtime now.however im not bitter in anyway to them..they deserved it as they work really hard.

• Advertisement

+1. Ground Staff deal with a lot more than CC ever have to put up with and get the least thanks.

Get a grip would you,yes they have to put up with so much crap but so do we.

when we get a sick passenger we cant ph for help at 33,000 feet.

when we get abusive passengers we cant ph the police to have them removed from the aircraft at 33,000 feet.

when we have poor passengers travelling home to die because of a terminal illness we cant remove ourselves from the situation to go have a cry.

when we get bad news away from home we cant jump into the car and get home to our family..we have to hide the pain for the sake of our passengers so dont even start the crap of they have to put up with more than us.

How is that relevant??? what they gave pay cuts??? are you serious??? since i joined every year ive taken wage cuts.so what are you talking about? since when are we moaning about taking wage cuts???

WAGE CUTS ARE NOT THE ISSUE HERE!!!! A WORK/LIFE BALANCE IS.

YES MY JOB IS SO IMPORTANT TO ME,BUT SO IS MY PERSONAL LIFE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭pocketvenus

From breakingnews.ie http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/aer-lingus-losses-far-exceed-cost-of-hiring-planes-during-dispute-490576.html#ixzz1BxME8O58

Nice comeback, what business is it of IMPACT making demands wanting to know how much the hiring of planes is costing, WTF has that got to do with them?

We really should not be shocked at IMPACT and their tactics, any union which has to stoop to the levels of claiming sexual discrimination or whatever else to try to win a case just shows you the game they are playing.

If I were the EI CC staff I would be thinking long and hard, as when their jobs are gone, IMPACT won't care they will still be sitting in their cushy jobs with it heads on salary of over €100,000 while they are claiming €188 a week.

A relation of mine own a business which requires alot of travel for him and his staff and he always supported AL but he decided not to book with them anymore even though it pains him to do so as he never had any problems but he just cannot take the risk of flights being cancelled etc. He has to keep his own business afloat too.

@ mandy, i am glad you are not working for aer lingus anymore because you sound like one of those cranky moody girls they are talking about. the guy who said his girliend works for the ground at 0300am...was there not something in the paper about them all getting susstantial payouts to accept these new changes and came back under new terms and conditions?

yep they got 30grand and as for the 3am shifts thats the nature of the job...its a 24hour operation.my friend who works on the ground says they can swap no probs with each other etc..like my friend will so her early shift then a friends late shift th get a certain day off.etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Keep it civil please and thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭pocketvenus

Get a grip would you,yes they have to put up with so much crap but so do we.

when we get a sick passenger we cant ph for help at 33,000 feet.

when we get abusive passengers we cant ph the police to have them removed from the aircraft at 33,000 feet.

when we have poor passengers travelling home to die because of a terminal illness we cant remove ourselves from the situation to go have a cry.

when we get bad news away from home we cant jump into the car and get home to our family..we have to hide the pain for the sake of our passengers so dont even start the crap of they have to put up with more than us.

Sorry but we know this may be a part of your job but a small part and many other people have to deal with it. Is is hard yes but you just have to deal with it.

Yes I know on a plane you cannot step out for a breather but do not tell me CC do not bitch to each other about customers or make rude one wait just a bit longer for service. It does go on in all airlines and I know this for a fact as an ex of mine was a stewart with a carrier.

I lived in the US when a realtion of mine died and I was not allowed home for the funeral at least when you get bad news you can get home at end of day or next day etc.

Playing the whole sympathy card will not win you any more supporters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

OutlawPete wrote: »

This country has become a nation of people who know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Thanks for adding your two cents worth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭thebullkf

i assume its to prove that AL have the money to pay for the service they're claiming they can't afford to provide... ie CC .

Simple really- though judging by your posts you really have a hard on for AL battering...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭thebullkf

Looks like we are nearly done here.

if only.

Peanut2011 wrote: »
    Unfortunately the rant about MD's having lunch with government is one sided. Did we forget about the "up-skilling" fund that was given by HSE to one of our beloved unions that never got properly accounted for??

Unions are as corrupt as the government or the banks......

The ME attitude has come out of the big Celtic Tiger era where all people saw was their own interest, however I agree with OP.

Why should the company be held to ransom over few staff. If you don't like it, you know what to do!

On the other side I do not think employees should be bullied to do what they are paid to. The mention of staff being suspended for having a meal break on 11hr's flight is ridiculous and they could sue the company as that breaches health and safety. There is more to that!

Also, if the company is loosing money, do you not think it is ok to change working practises. The way they are going they will have no job very soon! Is that better??

People need to get very realistic about their expectations.

Ask yourself, if you went to work tomorrow and your boss asked you to stay longer to finish something, would you refuse??? Just cos the union is there and have held this company to ransom so many times does not mean they are right!

At the end of the day, company and the employees are the ones who are losing, union is not. Have any of the unions cut their wages yet???

At what cost should we have to put up or shut up.if EI get what they want then wait and see what other employers are going to do..then we will see the moaners!

we are realistic about our expectations,we have even more than any other department in the last 5years...they keep coming back at us..not because we are cabincrew its because our department is mostly female and they think we are weak.well enough is enough,if they win then i will leave because it would be impossible to have a work/life balance.but im not going without a fight ,i love my job,im lucky to have a job but im afraid slave labour was abolished many years ago.

• Advertisement
Advertisement