Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aerlingus Cabin Crew want the best of both worlds

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭culdaffguy

Aer Lingus Cabin Crew and IMPACT management are just about the only contributors on the IMPACT facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/IMPACT-Trade-Union/147094071028#!/pages/IMPACT-Trade-Union/147094071028

What a biased load of bull on there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 seaniefitz

What a biased load of bull on there

fair amount of biased bull on here as well!

One EI cabin crew IMPACT member suggests getting the fire service involved! :rolleyes:

Impact - Do something for your members who are being bullied by Aer Lingus management. Get up and fight, pull the plug now and strike without delay. Pull the Fire service out and will win within an hour - Do Something now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 kate74

culdaffguy wrote: »
    One EI cabin crew IMPACT member suggests getting the fire service involved! :rolleyes:

How do you know the person who made that comment is cabin crew? No indication at all that he is

kate74 wrote: »
    How do you know the person who made that comment is cabin crew? No indication at all that he is

"and will win within an hour"

Maybe but Id take that as and we'll win within an hour? Just bad spelling

And from the few posts on the page most are made by Impact, strange that being an Impact page :)

Some status updates from an EI CC employee:
    chicago tomoro!!! shop shop shop! nails need to be done too and a sunbed!!! aLL in 24 hours! :)

Wonder if this is why they don't want 12 hours instead, no time for the nails or shopping?

And then we have:
    wohhooooo iv a three night orlando on the new roster!!! rest of the roster is shockingly bad!!! :)
    we work hard for our lifestyle!! cnt wit to lie by the pool with a cocktail!! mmm ha ha

"and will win within an hour"

Maybe but Id take that as and we'll win within an hour? Just bad spelling

nope will win sounds to me like crew will win not talking about himself.

So are you friends of cabin crew in order to get their status updates or do you spend your time going through girls pages, all a bit creepy

So are you friends of cabin crew in order to get their status updates or do you spend your time going through girls pages, all a bit creepy

Yes i'm related, but thanks for calling me a creep :D
    Says a lot for you

so you are publicly posting your relative's private updates, lovely. I'll say no more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭AfterDusk

Does it matter if he's friends with them? That's quite a low blow to suggest him being a creep.

The fact of the matter is that you can see from the statuses exactly what the mentality of EI crew is. They don't seem to be complaining about work interfering with family life there do they??!

I'll say no more

That would be good.

And then an aer lingus cabin crew colleague has this hype written:

I usually start my demo announcements with 'As your safety is our priority on board your flight I'd ask for your full attention.' Today I do the same..........
    How safe would you feel knowing that I got up for work today at 4 am and 11 hours later as your preparing to take off for ur flight to Dublin I've been working now for 10 hours with out any break? Today is my 7th day in a row, and in those 7 days I have put in 60 hours. I was off for 1 day before I started these 60 hours. and I've had only 7 days off this month?
    To be honest I didn't get much sleep last night as I was on late shifts earlier in the week and I'm feeling exhausted. I'm quite distracted as when I reported for work today my landing time was changed by 3 hours and now I'm worried about the pre arranged child minding arrangements.
    I'm also distraught as I'm being sent away for 27 days from my family and kids, and can't find a minder or give them a reasonable explanation why? And on my return I get 2 days off and could be sent away for 27 days again.
    Your safety on board my flight has always been my utmost priority. I cannot understand why my employers are trying to make this so much more challenging for me to deliver? In their race to the bottom, please stop and ask yourself are they compromising your safety too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Skadoosh

What a load of scaremongering tripe.

Are they actively trying to sabotage the airline? FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Skadoosh wrote: »
    What a load of scaremongering tripe.

Are they actively trying to sabotage the airline? FFS.

Yes but your saying this about people who use their kids as pawns for emotional leverage, if you check the impact facebook you see a picture of one of their kids holding up a sign :) they seem to be pro's at milking it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

And then an aer lingus cabin crew colleague has this hype written:
    Oh no! He may give me Fanta instead of Diet Coke... whatever shall I do!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Ruth O'Sullivan, obviously a shop steward, churning out the usual rhetoric on Drive time.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭cabincrew

Some status updates from an EI CC employee:

Wonder if this is why they don't want 12 hours instead, no time for the nails or shopping?

And then we have:

You make out that's what we do every time we fly,"a 3 nite orlando" sure who wouldn't be excited about that? We would get one of those flights once or twice a year not every week...and before you start jumping down my throat im not complaining, but we definitely dont do them very often,and as for chicago a 20hour stopover(not complaining either)what crew do in their own personal time is their own business,again making out that we do it all the time. So in ur personal time on a weekday night you may shop shop shop and get your nails done from time to time..the bloody cheek of ya,who ever told you it was your giving right to do such things!!!! "please"

cabincrew wrote: »
    You make out that's what we do every time we fly,"a 3 nite orlando" sure who wouldn't be excited about that? We would get one of those flights once or twice a year not every week...and before you start jumping down my throat im not complaining, but we definitely dont do them very often,and as for chicago a 20hour stopover(not complaining either)what crew do in their own personal time is their own business,again making out that we do it all the time. So in ur personal time on a weekday night you may shop shop shop and get your nails done from time to time..the bloody cheek of ya,who ever told you it was your giving right to do such things!!!! "please"

Please that's only 1. I know of another cabin crew member who seems to go to Orlando every 2/3 months, and the US every month.

I didn't say it wasn't your own business what you do, but how dare you complain that 12 hours rest isn't enough, when the extra 12 is spent on shopping, sunbeds and nails!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

SIX PACK wrote: »
    I was meant to fly with AerLingus today but flight is cancelled, Why the hell cant the Airline operate & replace the crew with emergency staff so the customers can get to & from their destination, Im so angry Knew i should of flew Ryanair :(

what replacement flight did they put you on?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Does that Orlando stopover not screw up your work/life balance though ?

marienbad wrote: »

Nah, all the shopping makes up for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Skadoosh

You might only do an Orlando flight once or twice a year but that's because you've only five years service. Other staff members with seniority would be doing them a lot more frequently than that and definitely don't want to give up their days by the pool or their shopping perks in New York. I know some of them.

Obviously not...did'nt you read my post??Well for your benefit i,ll repeat it again...We get a three night orlando once or twice a year...not every week so therefore it does not interfere with work/life balance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭kevinmcc

We are entiltled to rest just like everyone else.if we were to operate with 12hrs gap betwwen a return nyc leg we would be lucky to get 6hrs sleep and that would mean us we would be going across the atlantic during our wocl(window of circadian low) defo not a good idea for your captain and first officer.

I'm glad you came back on cabincrew, perhaps you can answer this now..How do you calculate 6 hours sleep? The Captain and First Officer have a more strict rest period than cabin crew. And as you said they will be on the same flight as you, that means you will both have the same amount of sleep. A flight will be delayed by the captain if he/she hasn't had their minimum rest period anyway. So they've enough rest to fly an A330, but you don't have enough rest to perform some cabin duties? :confused:

• Advertisement

Skadoosh wrote: »
    You might only do an Orlando flight once or twice a year but that's because you've only five years service. Other staff members with seniority would be doing them a lot more frequently than that and definitely don't want to give up their days by the pool or their shopping perks in New York. I know some of them.

Those days are gone the last 2years,that's a fact!

Obviously not...did'nt you read my post??Well for your benefit i,ll repeat it again...We get a three night orlando once or twice a year...not every week so therefore it does not interfere with work/life balance!

Yes dear, I did read your post (in fact all of them) , so just to clarify, you get 'a three night orlando once or twice a year' , how often would you get JFK and Chicago ?

Yes dear, I did read your post (in fact all of them) , so just to clarify, you get 'a three night orlando once or twice a year' , how often would you get JFK and Chicago ?

I know of one EI CC member who has been to JFK, Boston and Chicago 10 times in total, since June. Not bad at all for a more recent crew member.

kevinmcc wrote: »
    I'm glad you came back on cabincrew, perhaps you can answer this now..How do you calculate 6 hours sleep? The Captain and First Officer have a more strict rest period than cabin crew. And as you said they will be on the same flight as you, that means you will both have the same amount of sleep. A flight will be delayed by the captain if he/she hasn't had their minimum rest period anyway. So they've enough rest to fly an A330, but you don't have enough rest to perform some cabin duties? :confused:

Look im not getting into this pathetic disagreement.but to answer your question briefly,chocks on 1pm,12hr rest starts 1.20pm/most of the passengers have disembarked,we then get off at 130pm,get on bus 145-150 drive to hotel 45-115=240ish check in to hotel...that's 740 Irish...nobody goes to bed at 740pm unless your 5! by the time we are tired and ready to sleep its at least 10pm Irish/5pm NYC time...fight departs at 120am in the morning...so at 5pm we have 820ishbefore our flight departs,pick up at hotel is 230 prior to dep so pick up will be at 1050pm NYC time,we need to wake up at 950pm to get ready for work..thanks for pointing that out 6hrs...,sold us short that time!!of course pilots need more rest than us...wasn't that my point before,i explained it wouldn't be enough rest for us let alone the pilots!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

What's with all the bitchiness?

Any other points to be made or shall we continue around in circles.?

• Advertisement

Look im not getting into this pathetic disagreement.but to answer your question briefly,chocks on 1pm,12hr rest starts 1.20pm/most of the passengers have disembarked,we then get off at 130pm,get on bus 145-150 drive to hotel 45-115=240ish check in to hotel...that's 740 Irish...nobody goes to bed at 740pm unless your 5! by the time we are tired and ready to sleep its at least 10pm Irish/5pm NYC time...fight departs at 120am in the morning...so at 5pm we have 820ishbefore our flight departs,pick up at hotel is 230 prior to dep so pick up will be at 1050pm NYC time,we need to wake up at 950pm to get ready for work..thanks for pointing that out 6hrs...,sold us short that time!!of course pilots need more rest than us...wasn't that my point before,i explained it wouldn't be enough rest for us let alone the pilots!!!!!

I'd have thought that after working so hard on a 6/7 hour flight you'd be ready to drop, no?

Complete fail. No EI flight departs for DUB at 1.20am due to flight restrictions. Furthermore the Pilots will have enough of rest, and will be able to fly back home, it's just the crew who can't do their duties. I don't see the Pilots striking over their minimum rest :confused:

I know of one EI CC member who has been to JFK, Boston and Chicago 10 times in total, since June. Not bad at all for a more recent crew member.

Thats probably because she got swaps...we have a swap page,people are always trying to swap..ie people with kids etc...

What's with all the bitchiness?

Any other points to be made or shall we continue around in circles.?
    I vote for circles.

Thats probably because she got swaps...we have a swap page,people are always trying to swap..ie people with kids etc...

Maybe, but then again there's another guy who's been between the 3 cities 11 times since June.

Complete fail. No EI flight departs for DUB at 1.20am due to flight restrictions. Furthermore the Pilots will have enough of rest, and will be able to fly back home, it's just the crew who can't do their duties. I don't see the Pilots striking over their minimum rest :confused:

The company are going to change the flight times to allow for that....im not getting into this but its for real..in black and white for us all to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

From what I understand, the cabin crew aren't allowed a meal break despite working for 11 hours in a row.

They also can be called into work at a couple hours notice without being able to refuse it.

They also are only being paid for when the flight takes off. They could be two hours in the airport checking people in, waiting for a delayed flight to take off, etc, and they don't get paid.

The cabin crew are people too with familes etc and they shouldn't be viewed as slaves who will sacrifice anything so we can all go to London for 10 euro or the US for 300 euro.

plasmaguy wrote: »
    From what I understand, the cabin crew aren't allowed a meal break despite working for 11 hours in a row.

They also can be called into work at a couple hours notice without being able to refuse it.

They also are only being paid for when the flight takes off. They could be two hours in the airport checking people in, waiting for a delayed flight to take off, etc, and they don't get paid.

The cabin crew are people too with familes etc and they shouldn't be viewed as slaves who will sacrifice anything so we can all go to London for 10 euro or the US for 300 euro.
    Get a new job then IMO.

The arbitrator has made a decision and it's binding.

They could be two hours in the airport checking people in, waiting for a delayed flight to take off, etc, and they don't get paid.

Cabin Crew don't check people in.

Maybe, but then again there's another guy who's been between the 3 cities 11 times since June.

I cant speak for him,that's very possible due to swaps etc,Ive had 3nyc,2chicagos and 1 Orlando last year..jan-dec..people with less experience may or may not have had more,its nothing to do with your length of service anymore.the rest of my dutys have been europes so we all take the good with the bad.

• Advertisement

OisinT wrote: »
    Get a new job then IMO.

It's not my job and it's facile to say to somene else, who has trained, etc in a a job to get a new job.

AL are going back on some of the deal and penalising others who work to rule.

AL are behaving like tyrannts and bullies.

Do you think 11 hours without a meal break is acceptable in the 21st century?

The company are going to change the flight times to allow for that....im not getting into this but its for real..in black and white for us all to see.

Exactly you won't get in to something you clearly know nothing about. PANYNJ have restrictions in place. The latest time a flight is scheduled to leave JFK is around 10pm so please stop posting misleading information.

EI management have already said that no crew member would be going 11 hours without a break. Jeez catch up.

It's not my job and it's facile to say to somene else, who has trained, etc in a a job to get a new job.

AL are going back on some of the deal and penalising others who work to rule.

AL are behaving like tyrannts and bullies.

Do you know what goes into the process of arbitration? This is the employees own fault and a complete over-reaction. It is the union making accusations that they will have to work 11 hours without a break.
    That is not contained in the binding arbitration.

Get a new job then IMO.

seriously the 'get a new job' has run its course with people.

yes people are lucky to have jobs,and i do love my job,but enough is enough,we have giving plenty and more,at what cost are we suppose to be just grateful to have a job,

And no you are wrong,did not make any decisions in relation to terms and conditions of employment,only about the 850 block hours,it Clearly states in the B/A finding that any changes further changes to our working contract must be agreed by us first.end off

Cabin Crew don't check people in.

I meant to say checking tickets before flight boarding.

I meant to say checking tickets before flight boarding.

They don't check tickets either.

EI management have already said that no crew member would be going 11 hours without a break. Jeez catch up.

Well you tell me where there is room for a break on a 4sector London please????it would be a miracle of Fatima if you found a way!!!

Do you know what goes into the process of arbitration? This is the employees own fault and a complete over-reaction. It is the union making accusations that they will have to work 11 hours without a break.
    That is not contained in the binding arbitration.

Do you understand the context to that "binding agreement"?

Basically AL said you accept this agreement or every last one of you are fired.

That's called putting a gun to someone's head.

Again is that reasonable behaviour from AL?

The cabin crew had no choice, to save their job, they had to take what was offered, no matter how bad it was.

In the context of high unemployment, the cabin crew had no choice but to accept.

• Advertisement

I cant speak for him,that's very possible due to swaps etc,Ive had 3nyc,2chicagos and 1 Orlando last year..jan-dec..people with less experience may or may not have had more,its nothing to do with your length of service anymore.the rest of my dutys have been europes so we all take the good with the bad.

3NYC, 2 Chicago,and 1 Orlando !! Nice work if you can get it,but it plays havoc with the work/life balance:)

Advertisement