Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aerlingus Cabin Crew want the best of both worlds

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

bla bla bla bitching and moaning...

All i'm saying is please understand the facts before you talk.
    My friend is now suspended witout pay indefinatly, just for taking a break. she has a mortgage and 2 children, do u really think shes striking because shes a "spoilt brat"??

And as for the "your lucky to have a job" crap, get a grip. the recession is no excuse to let companies take advantage of staff.
    Yes, a total brat. Find a new job if you hate it so much. This is the name of the game. Your employer has rules and you must abide by them... she is suspended for breaking the rules, not "taking a break".

Every time I've been on an EI flight the cabin crew congregate and chat for 25% of the flight.
    OutlawPete wrote: »
    Aer Lingus used to have a soul, this Government owns it - THAT is the problem here, nothing else.
    FYP.
    mandy30 wrote: »
    Ahh you have no idea.....could write a book about the job there. All spoilt that is the problem. They had it too easy for too long. Then snobbery takes over when they think they are stooping to 'Ryanair' levels.

I hated the hours, so I got a new job. No nights, weekends off. No complaining!

They all sit and complain to each other, then feel justified because someone agrees with them. The union make this worse by telling them they are right.
    Finally, someone with a bit of a brain. You hate your job so much and you don't like the hours, then find a new damn job.

Fair play to you mandy30 for taking charge rather than bitching and moaning all day!

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭mandy30

Finally, someone with a bit of a brain. You hate your job so much and you don't like the hours, then find a new damn job.

Fair play to you mandy30 for taking charge rather than bitching and moaning all day![/QUOTE]

Thank you :-)
    Some people are just going on heresay and making stuff up.

Until you have worked there and see what its really like on the inside, then people should not be so harsh.

I can honestly say hand on heart that was the easiest job I ever had. And ever will have.

Maybe a few sackings might open their eyes a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

OisinT wrote: »
    FYP.

Aer Lingus was privatised in 2006. The main shareholder in Aer Lingus is Ryanair and that share is increasing each and every day. The Government only holds a 25% share.

Aer Lingus was privatised in 2006. The main shareholder in Aer Lingus is Ryanair and that share is increasing each and every day. The Government only holds a 25% share.
    25% too much. They should sell that 25% to a proper airline like United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The Ryanair girls deserve a medal for the ****e they put up with, they are underpaid and work so hard.

You reckon Ryanair staff are underpaid. And Aer Lingus staff have it too easy

I'm sure there is an answer somewhere in the middle so

25% too much.

I would LOVE to see Michael O'Leary get his hands on the airline full time. As much of an arsehole he can be, he sure knows how to run an airline, and by god, that is what Aer Lingus needs.

THEN they can really complain!!

You reckon Ryanair staff are underpaid. And Aer Lingus staff have it too easy

I'm sure there is an answer somewhere in the middle so

I know how much the EI girls get paid.....and believe me, its too much for the little work they do.
    Don't get me wrong, I wasnt complaining at the time, but looking back on it now, its ridiculous.

I would LOVE to see Michael O'Leary get his hands on the airline full time. As much of an arsehole he can be, he sure knows how to run an airline, and by god, that is what Aer Lingus needs.

THEN they can really complain!!
    I'd hate to see them turned into RyanAir though.

The quality on EI flights (long haul) is good quality.

I'd hate to see them turned into RyanAir though.

The quality on EI flights (long haul) is good quality.

I agree. I could not fly Ryanair long haul.....would be too much!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭anneboleyn

I doubt it's as black or white as either side makes out. But what saddens me is that this will be another nail in the coffin of our national airline, and soon we'll have no choice whatsoever as flying passangers but to go with the low cost carriers.

The older established airlines like Aer Lingus and BA have unwieldly cost models that without refinement will ultimately result in closure - so they have to change ! That said, we shouldn't be condoning bully boy tactics and a total degradation of working T&Cs for anyone. Everyone deserves a fair days pay and benefits..

But in fairness some of what I've read about breaks, shift changes, trying to arrange child care etc, are challenges that everybody in full time work faces day in and day out. I often spend 3-5 hours more at work than I'd thought I would.And I'm fairly certain there's not a single cabin crew member of staff with a family who doesn't already have contingency and good child care arrangements, how could they have done the unsociable job and hours in the first place without them ??

Aer Lingus would be my airline of choice and I avoid Ryan Air at all costs unless there is no alternative to my destination, I'm dreading the day when I have no choice ! But for now I, and probably thousands of others, am avoiding risking my hard earned holiday time , and will not be booking Aer Lingus until there's a resolution.

Sad sad times.

PS - if the marchers yesterday were turning up to "report for work", what was the one with the baby in a pushchair doing / does she normally take him on flights ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Excellent post, just about blows apart all the arguments from the CC lobby.

Will they admit you are right..... not a chance.

All we will get is the same auld rehashed shite which has been fed from the Unions,unions who failed to see the shifting sands and are now buried deep in a morass.

I'm sure Mandy will agree ,what you have is a militant few who dominate the others,and unlike her, they chose to follow like sheep instead of getting the fcuk out and making a life for themselves, rather than whinging and cribbing for a living.

sad to see in my opinion

Excellent post, just about blows apart all the arguments from the CC lobby.

Will they admit you are right..... not a chance.

All we will get is the same auld rehashed shite which has been fed from the Unions,unions who failed to see the shifting sands and are now buried deep in a morass.

I'm sure Mandy will agree ,what you have is a militant few who dominate the others,and unlike her, they chose to follow like sheep instead of getting the fcuk out and making a life for themselves, rather than whinging and cribbing for a living.

sad to see in my opinion

Yep, totally agree.
    I left almost 6 years ago...........and they are still banging on about the same old thing.
    Not one thing has changed.
    Fighting over rosters, breaks and doing a couple of extra flights a week.

I could never see the sense in it when I worked there, and still cannot see the sense in it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 xxx000

Mandy 30 ;;;;; Seems to me someone's a bit bitter!!! Maybe ya Didn't "leave" the - as you said- easiest job you ever had - maybe you were turfed out for sitting on your ass all day - cause I've seen them work, and work hard! You obviusly weren't "suited" to it!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

xxx000 wrote: »
    Mandy 30 ;;;;; Seems to me someone's a bit bitter!!! Maybe ya Didn't "leave" the - as you said- easiest job you ever had - maybe you were turfed out for sitting on your ass all day - cause I've seen them work, and work hard! You obviusly weren't "suited" to it!!!!!!!!!

Seems more realistic than bitter to me :confused:

Oh be quiet dear.

I left because I have ambition and want to do something with my life. Not sit eating at the back of a plane will I am 50.

Until you know your facts, do yourself a favour and keep quiet.

• Advertisement

amdublin wrote: »
    Seems more realistic than bitter to me :confused:

Thank you :)

Can I ask what happened to all the sexy flight attendants?

Can I ask what happened to all the sexy flight attendants?

Lol:-) All the young lovelies do the European and domestic flights. The old wagon dragons do the transatlantic flights. They get the privelige of those great flights through time served.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

.. the union are a bunch of whiners, they always were encouraging the crew to strike, stirring up **** all the time.

.. thought the staff had it way to easy.
    I sat around on my arse, my brain going dead, listening to old ladies moaning about what it was like in their day. I got out before I turned into one of them.
    They don't have any idea what hard work is.
    All spoilt that is the problem.

They all sit and complain to each other..
    Maybe a few sackings might open their eyes a bit.
    I know how much the EI girls get paid.....and believe me, its too much for the little work they do.
    I left because I have ambition and want to do something with my life. Not sit eating at the back of a plane will I am 50.
    The old wagon dragons do the transatlantic flights.

Meow.

Ryanair staff sign a disclaimer with their contract to say NO UNIONS!

They even have to pay for their own uniforms.
    I would LOVE to see Michael O'Leary get his hands on the airline full time.

Enough said.

Mandy DEAR, if you'd such a great job with loads of ambition you wouldn't be bothered about slating other people's jobs or what they want from it! You obviously didn't get on while as crew and have a personal stinking attitude towards them now, it comes across so clearly in all you've said.

• Advertisement

Dear Mandy, if ya had a great job that fulfils your ambition ya wouldn't be bothered about slating other people's jobs!!!!!
    When they're acting like a bunch of big babies they deserve to be slated.

Mandy DEAR, if you'd such a great job with loads of ambition you wouldn't be bothered about slating other people's jobs or what they want from it! You obviously didn't get on while as crew and have a personal stinking attitude towards them now, it comes across so clearly in all you've said.

Do you work for Aer Lingus xxxOOO?

Ps. I flew with EI a couple of weeks ago. She's right about them sitting on their @rses. They've some cheek complaining about breaks. IMO they deserve the slating.

All going on about being Ready, Willing and Able for work. Well then go and work and stop whinging.

Oh go away and bother someone else. You have no valuable input anyway. Trying to slate me does not count as discussion on this thread.

Perhaps you interviewed for a job as crew with EI and got turned down, hence your bitter attitude towards me?

If you had any clear input into it yourself Mandy, you'd have more to say than "oh, they sit on their asses". As to me not relating to the real thread - it seems it's turned into a "we hate cabin crew" thread. As many previous posters said it's all envy!! I know a few people who work for aer lingus on the ground and even they are aggreing with the collegues, the crew. The pilots are also supporting them as are anyone who bothers, like myself, to get the real facts on the dispute - not just the "they're whingers and old fat ladies lucky to have a job" attitude that you seem to have!!!!! Was your flight cancelled recently? - Is that the real reason you're so bitter? Did you ever actually work for EI - I don't believe anyone who did would spout off the rubbish you are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

I took an Aer Lingus flight back from the States in the last week.

I saw the "hard work" firsthand.

A really annoying AL Flight Attendant yapped the ear off the two people sitting near us for about half an hour.

She told all of us in earshot what age she was, her marital service and her living arrangements. She also let us know how long she worked for AL. (Why a hard working lady would need to pass all of this info. on to passengers I don't know!)

She found out where they two men were from. That they didn't know each other. Where they were heading on to, etc.

She told a "hilarious" story about what happened the last time she went to confession. I also heard how many drinks she had at a recent wedding..... Are you getting the picture?! She was a complete headwrecker.

She laughed with the most horrendous phony laugh all over the cabin.

If you are working hard you shouldn't have this amount of time to bend the ear off passengers.

But obviously this was only one worker - but why did she have all of this free time? Maybe she was "on a break"?????

Would you like my staff number and line managers name to verify my work history?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Just look at the recent sacking staff by text.
    Wait, did you read the article or just the headline?

They were told of an announcement by text and fired with a phone call.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

Yeah I would actually, cause as I know it there's no "line managers" in charge of crew!!!! Oh I see....... you were on the ground!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Would you like my staff number and line managers name to verify my work history?
    Yeah I would actually, cause as I know it there's no "line managers" in charge of crew!!!! Oh I see....... you were on the ground!!!

Stop the bickering please.

Oh for God's sake, grow up.

Every single crew member has a line manager......someone to be answerable to.

You are full of ****e and don't know what you are on about. Away off and talk to your fat biscuit eating friends still moaning about their ****ty job.

• Advertisement

Oh I see....... you were on the ground!!!

:confused:

xxxOOO (again) do you work for Aer Lingus?

(you seem to know a lot about their line management practices etc)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Ease up there, try not to get so personal.

A really annoying AL Flight Attendant yapped the ear off the two people sitting near us for about half an hour.

She told all of us in earshot what age she was, her marital service and her living arrangements. She also let us know how long she worked for AL. (Why a hard working lady would need to pass all of this info. on to passengers I don't know!)

She found out where they two men were from. That they didn't know each other. Where they were heading on to, etc.

She told a "hilarious" story about what happened the last time she went to confession. I also heard how many drinks she had at a recent wedding..... Are you getting the picture?! She was a complete headwrecker.

If you are working hard you shouldn't have this amount of time to bend the ear off passengers.

But obviously this was only one worker - but why did she have all of this free time? Maybe she was "on a break"?????

Ha ha! Oh jeez what a NIGHTMARE!

She didn't sound busy at all :o

You are full of ****e and don't know what you are on about. Away off and talk to your fat biscuit eating friends still moaning about their ****ty job.

What's with the biscuit eating?

Is this what cabin crew eat while on a break?

Do they get biscuits from the Airline? Does AL provide a lunch for CC or do they take on a sandwich with them???

Hi,

Lunch is provided for them. And biscuits :-) If its a long flight with complimentary food, crew can eat or take home what they like of what is left.

Hi,

Lunch is provided for them. And biscuits :-) If its a long flight with complimentary food, crew can eat or take home what they like of what is left.

What a bad company giving them food to eat :rolleyes:

:)

Hi,

That's great! not many places give you a free lunch ;) And free biscuits too!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Newbie_2009

I really can't see the difference between aer lingus cabin crew and the person who sells coffee and kitkats on the train or even someone working in mcDonalds for that matter. Who are they to demand such spoiled working conditions.

Can they not get some of the catering staff in T2 who are idle and show them how to play the safety video and open the plane door in an emergency. I bet they get paid a damn sight less then the molly coddled aer lingus staff relics of a bygone public sector disaster.

Although I suppose I blame the unions the most.

Can they not get some of the catering staff in T2 who are idle and show them how to play the safety video and open the plane door in an emergency. I bet they get paid a damn sight less then the molly coddled aer lingus staff relics of a bygone public sector disaster.

You're on to something here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭bobblepuzzle

Who cares? I'd prefer a happy chatful flight attendant, unlike the depressed moody Ryanair type... can't blame them though... their salary is probably AL divided by 2 :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Fkn unions.

Who cares? I'd prefer a happy chatful flight attendant, unlike the depressed moody Ryanair type... can't blame them though... their salary is probably AL divided by 2 :(

Where did I say she was helpful?

She wasn't doing a tap except wrecking the heads of anyone who could hear her......

Where did I say she was helpful?

She wasn't doing a tap except wrecking the heads of anyone who could hear her......

Were you following her around or something?

Ha ha. No I think the point was that she didn't need to be followed around - she was just standing there chatting all the time.

I think!

Well that is what I picked up anyway :confused:

No. As i said in my post she talked the ear off two men near me in the cabin.

I want a Flight Attendant to serve me dinner in a friendly mannerly way. I don't want to hear about what they get up to at the weekend. I don't want to know how long they have been with their fella for. I don't need to know these personal details.

• Advertisement

amdublin wrote: »
    Ha ha. No I think the point was that she didn't need to be followed around - she was just standing there chatting all the time.

I think!

Well that is what I picked up anyway :confused:

I just wanted Diddler to clarify if he/she was watching her throughout the flight to see the work she was doing... what was the destination also? She may have been on her break...

No. As i said in my post she talked the ear off two men near me in the cabin.

I want a Flight Attendant to serve me dinner in a friendly mannerly way. I don't want to hear about what they get up to at the weekend. I don't want to know how long they have been with their fella for. I don't need to know these personal details.

Stick your earphones in then... ffs, I'd bet your a moaney type in general... if its not AL its someone else

I just wanted Diddler to clarify if he/she was watching her throughout the flight to see the work she was doing... what was the destination also? She may have been on her break...

Believe me you couldn't miss this one.

I should have taken a sleeping pill...... In fact I wish I had taken a pill

Stick your earphones in then... ffs, I'd bet your a moaney type in general... if its not AL its someone else

Not generally moany. But I do moan when given cause. But thanks for the attack on my personality anyway ;)

Not generally moany. But I do moan when given cause. But thanks for the attack on my personality anyway ;)

Your welcome :) What was the destination?

• Advertisement
Advertisement