Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aerlingus Cabin Crew want the best of both worlds

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I travel every week in my job.

So you see the work they do. Not exactly difficult is it.

Do you have a family member working in AL as cabin crew? Wife or husband maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭mandy30

Then if you are related to neither side, you are not in posession of all the facts either then.

Regardless of when I was there or when I left, I still know the cabin crew job inside out. I still have friends who work there.

Nothing has changed. And someone like you, who claims to be unrelated to unions or staff cannot convince me otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Looks like we are nearly done here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Anonymous man

mandy30 wrote: »
    Then if you are related to neither side, you are not in posession of all the facts either then.

Regardless of when I was there or when I left, I still know the cabin crew job inside out. I still have friends who work there.

Nothing has changed. And someone like you, who claims to be unrelated to unions or staff cannot convince me otherwise.
    ready any standard leaving cert level economics book - go to privitisation section. Read the sypmtoms.

ready any standard leaving cert level economics book - go to privitisation section. Read the sypmtoms.

Funny :-)

I am delighted the government is taking up all the airtime on the news and EI are getting hardly any coverage.

No one cares anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

So you've been trolling everyone in this thread. Pretending to have some inside information, and a knowledge of what's happening in Aer Lingus. Now you're called on it you admit that you're basing all of this on some warped view of the economics book from your leaving cert? I'm sure you'd tell us all that you got an A1 in that unless your leaving cert teacher turned up to tell us that you dropped out of the leaving cert to spend an extended year "fighting the man! man!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

Chinasea wrote: »
    You have been believing all the anti Ryanair hype that you are constantly been fed by the Irish Media - some people are just so patriotic they are blind.

I suppose it was also the fault of the Irish Media that the EU forced ConAir RyanAir to pay out compensation for those travellers affected by the Icelandic volcano? It was fantastic to see the arrogant tosser taken down a peg.

I only wish I controlled the air-space over my farm so I could stop O'Leary from using it.

Buceph wrote: »
    So you've been trolling everyone in this thread. Pretending to have some inside information, and a knowledge of what's happening in Aer Lingus. Now you're called on it you admit that you're basing all of this on some warped view of the economics book from your leaving cert? I'm sure you'd tell us all that you got an A1 in that unless your leaving cert teacher turned up to tell us that you dropped out of the leaving cert to spend an extended year "fighting the man! man!"
    No. I am just explaining why I think it is relevant.
    Do you think the peopel who work for Eircom now share the same experiences as those who worked there when it was a semi state?

If my explanation makes you think I dropped out of the leaving cert then fine. Your post almost comes accross as if you are offended by my explanation? I am not trying to offend anyone. I am not going to post by job in an internet forum by the way. Let's just say that due to the nature of my work I spend a lot of time travelling to the States and around Europe.

I am delighted the government is taking up all the airtime on the news and EI are getting hardly any coverage.

No one cares anymore.
    Yep, totally agree.

And Quote -
    I left almost 6 years ago...........and they are still banging on about the same old thing.
    Not one thing has changed.
    Fighting over rosters, breaks and doing a couple of...

I rest my case.

Yep, totally agree.

And Quote -
    I left almost 6 years ago...........and they are still banging on about the same old thing.
    Not one thing has changed.
    Fighting over rosters, breaks and doing a couple of...

I rest my case.

You can rest your case all you like! I know what it was like in my time there. And I know what it is like there now. NOTHING HAS CHANGED!

• Advertisement

You can rest your case all you like! I know what it was like in my time there. And I know what it is like there now. NOTHING HAS CHANGED!

No. You're wrong. You're actual, direct knowledge of the situation is irrelevant. Anon has his leaving cert economics book to back him up.

No. You're wrong. Anon has his leaving cert economics book to back him up.

Gosh yes,I forgot that. I must rush out and buy mine.

No. You're wrong. You're actual, direct knowledge of the situation is irrelevant. Anon has his leaving cert economics book to back him up.

Yeh that is right actually her direct knowledge of the situation must be very relevant. After all - it was only 6 years ago.

It's not as if the the company has gone through 3 new owners,
    made 3 waves of redundancies, gon public, in the greatest recession in the history of the state.

Yeh that is right actually her direct knowledge of the situation must be very relevant. After all - it was only 6 years ago.

made 3 waves of redundancies, gon public, in the greatest recession in the history of the state.

Cant you read????

I have very good friends who are still crew, pilots and cabin managers there. I am fully aware of what is going on.

Whatever, you win. You know it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

No one cares anymore.

I disagree somewhat. I am flying with them tomorrow afternoon and would like to know whether to bother getting the bus to prague or not. Come back Ryanair, all is forgiven.

syklops wrote: »
    I disagree somewhat. I am flying with them tomorrow afternoon and would like to know whether to bother getting the bus to prague or not. Come back Ryanair, all is forgiven.

You should be fine. Schedules are operating somewhat normally as they planned ahead for it. Or they are so used to them striking, they have other airlines crew on speed dial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

"What 'machine' are the cabin crew working with one hand while they take their break."

Then there is another precedent here- what about the fact that if Aer Lingus can fire staff who don't agree to terms without compromise can get away with it. Are you telling me others won't follow? Vodafone, Dunnes,Diageo/ Joe Duffy Motors/ Dundrum Retail/ IBM/Tescos'/ Microsoft/ Bewlleyr's/ Google / Meteor/ and many more. The list go's on.
    they could all do the same.

You are not fighting my fight.

I'm in one of the companies above, I have a family, I have had to re-apply for my job, work more hours for no extra money, more than the 'working time directive' limit.
    I get a break when my staff have had there's, I interrupt, perspone, cancel my break for things going wrong, customer complaints, staff queries, phone calls etc.

I have my terms and conditions changed so many times theres no point printing out a new contract because it will be changed before I have it.

I agreed to them by turning up to work, if I didn't there would have been a new person doing my job within a week.

I can have my hours changed at no minutes notice, I can be moved to any location within 1 hr of my house at a minutes notice.

There are thousands of perple doing my job in the country, welcome to the 21st century in Ireland.

wmpdd3 wrote: »

I'm in one of the companies above, I have a family, I have had to re-apply for my job, work more hours for no extra money, more than the 'working time directive' limit.
    I get a break when my staff have had there's, I interrupt, perspone, cancel my break for things going wrong, customer complaints, staff queries, phone calls etc.

I have my terms and conditions changed so many times theres no point printing out a new contract because it will be changed before I have it.

I agreed to them by turning up to work, if I didn't there would have been a new person doing my job within a week.

I can have my hours changed at no minutes notice, I can be moved to any location within 1 hr of my house at a minutes notice.

There are thousands of perple doing my job in the country, welcome to the 21st century in Ireland.

It is the way things are in almost every company these days. You are right.
    It is reality, as harsh as it is.
    That is why EI are irritating people so much. They are not the only ones in this boat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭cabincrew

people need to get their facts right,don,t believe all you hear or read in the media.firstly yes the cabin crew did agree to the increase in flying hours, that is not the issue here,the issue is the way in which they are rostering them..that we did not agree to.
    its easy for people who get their morning break,then lunch break then afternoon break to say we are a bunch of moan bags..i bet if your boss came into you tomorrow and said right from today no more breaks..but hey here is a sandwich,eat it at your desk but only if and when you get a chance to you would tell them where to go.a mother has a right to know what time shes going home to her child at each day..to report to work at 6am only to then be told your not on a flight untill 9am that results in a much later landing is totally unfair and WAS NOT AGREED.

• Advertisement

cabincrew wrote: »
    people need to get their facts right,don,t believe all you hear or read in the media.firstly yes the cabin crew did agree to the increase in flying hours, that is not the issue here,the issue is the way in which they are rostering them..that we did not agree to.
    its easy for people who get their morning break,then lunch break then afternoon break to say we are a bunch of moan bags..i bet if your boss came into you tomorrow and said right from today no more breaks..but hey here is a sandwich,eat it at your desk but only if and when you get a chance to you would tell them where to go.a mother has a right to know what time shes going home to her child at each day..to report to work at 6am only to then be told your not on a flight untill 9am that results in a much later landing is totally unfair and WAS NOT AGREED.

But you agreed to the increased flying hours......so it is not EI's fault. It is up to them how they roster them!
    And it is a part of the job the unsociable hours and changes to flight times.
    Sorry to sound so harsh, but you have agreed to most of this.

Happens in restaurants all the time. People come in looking for a table fifteen mins before closing, believe me you the waitress stays serving them all night if they are spending money (ive worked in numerous restaurants).

Look, I appreciate you've had it good for a long long time and it is a shock to the system but it is now time to Start doing Some Good Hard Work okay. It's called life.

As for taking your break: happens all over Ireland. Most days I just grab a sandwich at my desk. Big deal. I get over it.

wmpdd3 wrote: »

Your experiences are a perfect example of the race-to-the-bottom agenda that is being foisted on the workers of this country by unscrupulous employers whose only God is the € and the reason why we need unions now more than ever.

sorry but that is where you are WRONG!
    the published arbitration finding said that any changes to our contract of employment must be agreed by us before hand...the company seem to have 'missed' that part of the arbitration finding.the fact they wont go to the labour court says it all.

1 WE NEVER AGREED TO THEM TAKING AWAY OUR WEEKEND REQUESTS(ONE WEEKEND OFF EVERY 8WEEKS)

2 WE NEVER AGREED TO TAKE OUR MEAL BREAK IN THE AIR

3.WE NEVER AGREED TO 7DAYS OFF A MONTH INSTEAD OF 8..

4 WE NEVER AGREED TO HAVE OUR DUTY CHANGED BY 3HRS ON THE DAY,4HRS THE DAY BEFORE AND GOD KNOWS HOW MANY HOURS AFTER THAT.

I support you and your collegues and I hope to see the matter resolved to your satisfaction.

The_Thing wrote: »
    I support you and your collegues and I hope to see the matter resolved to your satisfaction.

A lot of people havent agreed to changes in their work practices. The company decides. Thousands have not agreed to anything. They just get on with what is best for the company to stay afloat in these tough times.

amdublin wrote: »
    Happens in restaurants all the time. People come in looking for a table fifteen mins before closing, believe me you the waitress stays serving them all night if they are spending money (ive worked in numerous restaurants).

Look, I appreciate you've had it good for a long long time and it is a shock to the system but it is now time to Start doing Some Good Hard Work okay. It's called life.

As for taking your break: happens all over Ireland. Most days I just grab a sandwich at my desk. Big deal. I get over it.

had what good for too long??? obviously you have no idea of the job we do.

Work for another airline for a day, then you would know :-)

Yes I've seen you in action.

Nothing special going on that no one else could not do.

• Advertisement

The_Thing wrote: »

thank you so much.

It's the union again. Filling their heads full of fluff, making everyone believe they are hard done by. They were doing it when I was there and making everyone feel like they had the rough end of the stick. I laugh when I think of it now, all that moaning. It was a holiday going to work there compared to some jobs that are out there.

I have!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Yes, and in this thread you posted that Ryanair staff are underpaid and work likes dogs

Is that the standard you want all workers to have? Or can they fight for something better?

I have!

So have I! And EI is not a patch on any other! The good old days are gone! Once everyone realises that, it will be so much easier! They are not going back to how they were!

So if you have worked for a budget airline before EI, then you should know how well you are treated in comparison.

Yes, and in this thread you posted that Ryanair staff are underpaid and work likes dogs

Is that the standard you want all workers to have? Or can they fight for something better?

I dont agree with anyone being worked like dogs. If the Ryanair girls choose that life, then let them.

Fight for your say by all means. But the point I am making is that the girls and guys of EI are NOT worked like dogs in any sense. They are complaining about stuff they have agreed to.

• Advertisement

You don't travel enough to know what we do...if you did then you wouldn't make that statement

You don't travel enough to know what we do...if you did then you wouldn't make that statement

Please enlighten me to what you do that is so special.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

You'll do well to hold your own on this thread
    And your union is doing a lousy job of getting their message out there.

But good luck anyway, you have more public support then you think

God Almighty. Please stop. As an ex crew member I am mortified you are playing this card.

Please enlighten me to what you do that is so special.

A previous post of mine:
    At the end of the day the job entails:
    Waitress/waitering
    First aid (if required)
    Provision of safety information
    Staying calm in emergency

All above skills acquired in what a 4 week training course?

Anything else Ive left out?

It is pretty easy really. ANYONE could do it.

• Advertisement

So have I! And EI is not a patch on any other! The good old days are gone! Once everyone realises that, it will be so much easier! They are not going back to how they were!

So if you have worked for a budget airline before EI, then you should know how well you are treated in comparison.

Mandy when did you leave?obviously more than 5years ago?

I do love my job and since i joined there has been so many cuts etc,but enough is enough..i am also entitled to a life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

sorry but that is where you are WRONG!
    the published arbitration finding said that any changes to our contract of employment must be agreed by us before hand...the company seem to have 'missed' that part of the arbitration finding.the fact they wont go to the labour court says it all.

1 WE NEVER AGREED TO THEM TAKING AWAY OUR WEEKEND REQUESTS(ONE WEEKEND OFF EVERY 8WEEKS)

2 WE NEVER AGREED TO TAKE OUR MEAL BREAK IN THE AIR

3.WE NEVER AGREED TO 7DAYS OFF A MONTH INSTEAD OF 8..

4 WE NEVER AGREED TO HAVE OUR DUTY CHANGED BY 3HRS ON THE DAY,4HRS THE DAY BEFORE AND GOD KNOWS HOW MANY HOURS AFTER THAT.

In this time of recession with 460000 on the dole you think people give a fcuk about your meal breaks and holiday requests. Changes like this affect every work place all the time and people get on with it.

Striking, picketing and whinging is so engrained at Aer Lingus its actually part of the culture there- I'd say a week barely goes by in there without a new list of demands being drawn up and strikes threatened.
    The day O'Leary gets in there and shakes up the place the better, ye can all leave then.

In this time of recession with 460000 on the dole you think people give a fcuk about your meal breaks and holiday requests. Changes like this affect every work place all the time and people get on with it.

Striking, picketing and whinging is so engrained at Aer Lingus its actually part of the culture there- I'd say a week barely goes by in there without a new list of demands being drawn up and strikes threatened.
    The day O'Leary gets in there and shakes up the place the better, ye can all leave then.

Well said. And it doesnt matter when I left. I still have friends who work there and its still the same old crap happening. And if you 'love' your job, then why are you striking? Causing them to lose even more money, therefore causing MORE CUTS and WORSE conditions. You are all causing this to be worse!

What do you do?

A previous post of mine:

I never said that not everyone can do the job,but since that is what u mentioned then yes not everyone can do the job,lots of people fail training.the 4 week course is just for one a/c type...under eu law we are required to be on the aircraft for safety reasons,not to serve tea and coffee,service training is half a day...the rest of it safety training.

Exactly Mandy - the good old days are gone indeed. IE. the days of semi state bodies (like when you worked there 6 years ago).
    In a few posts you have come to reliase the "Nothing has changed" scenario is no good old day's are gone. The reality is though that you don't realise just how much things have changed. Your basing your arguement on the fact that you used to work in that job.

Well said. And it doesnt matter when I left. I still have friends who work there and its still the same old crap happening. And if you 'love' your job, then why are you striking? Causing them to lose even more money, therefore causing MORE CUTS and WORSE conditions. You are all causing this to be worse!
    I am starting to doubt you are telling the truth Mandy. They are not striking. If you had friends there surely you would know that?

What do you do?

Seeing they have no answer I will summarise for you.

Pre flight briefing
    Board - security checks
    Greet passengers - announcements
    Demo
    Take off
    Out with bar and food trolley
    Duty free
    Collect empties
    THAT IS END OF SERVICE
    Secure cabin for landing
    Say bye bye to all pax
    Clean cabin for return flight (cross seatbelts and pick up visible litter)

AND REPEAT

I never said that not everyone can do the job,but since that is what u mentioned then yes not everyone can do the job,lots of people fail training.the 4 week course is just for one a/c type...under eu law we are required to be on the aircraft for safety reasons,not to serve tea and coffee,service training is half a day...the rest of it safety training.

That's great. People do your kind of job all day all over Ireland and all over the world.

But for some reason AL staff think they are entitled to special treatment.

AL are trying to impose standards that are industry standard over the aviation business. Come on, it's time to get with the program just like the rest of us who have taken pay cuts, eat sandwiches at our desk and work extra hours for no pay.

I am starting to doubt you are telling the truth Mandy. They are not striking. If you had friends there surely you would know that?

Whatever.

• Advertisement
Advertisement