Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can Plastic Rot?

• 20-01-2011 1:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,997 ✭✭✭✭

I was taking a shower last night when the door came off its rollers. I looked at several of them and they had broken in different places. It didn't look like they had snapped in a straight line as you'd expect plastic to do.

So can plastic when exposed to water and humidity rot? What would be the likely reason? My apologies for what may be silly questions. I'd just like to have some answers for when I speak to our landlady.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,023 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I was taking a shower last night when the door came off its rollers. I looked at several of them and they had broken in different places. It didn't look like they had snapped in a straight line as you'd expect plastic to do.

So can plastic when exposed to water and humidity rot? What would be the likely reason? My apologies for what may be silly questions. I'd just like to have some answers for when I speak to our landlady.

Sounds like it shattered from stress.

To answer your question, no.

but it can weaken at stress points when overly stressed.

(did i say stress 3 times) ugh...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

answer yes but takes thousands of years

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭PaudyW

plastic dries out and goes brittle, the time it takes can depend on lots of factors, some cleaners, chemicals will break plastic down,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Its just ware on the rollers. Its a common problem. Do you know the make of door...

Advertisement