Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA Team of the Year 2010

• 20-01-2011 1:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭

Surprised there hasn't been a thread for this but here it is:

Goalkeeper – Iker Casillas // Real Madrid // Spain

Left Back – Ashley Cole // Chelsea // England

Right Back – Maicon // Inter Milan // Brazil

Centre Back – Gerard Pique // Barcelona // Spain

Centre Back – Carles Puyol // Barcelona // Spain

Left Midfield – Andres Iniesta // Barcelona // Spain

Right Midfield – Cristiano Ronaldo // Real Madrid // Portugal

Centre Midfield – Xavi Hernandez // Barcelona // Spain

Centre Midfield – Wesley Sneijder // Inter Milan // Holland

Striker – Lionel Messi // Barcelona // Argentina

Striker – David Villa // Barcelona & Valencia // Spain

Hard to argue with anyone on the list really with 6 Barca players and only 1 player from the EPL.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Inter only being represented by two players is a joke no matter what way you look at it.

yes, Barca have awesomely talented players, but for Pique and Puyol both to be in there (as much as i like them), and not Samuel and Lucio, is a travesty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Is this based on club or international performances? Because if its club perfromances then Inter have been d*cked over big style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

SlickRic wrote: »
    Inter only being represented by two players is a joke no matter what way you look at it.

yes, Barca have awesomely talented players, but for Pique and Puyol both to be in there (as much as i like them), and not Samuel and Lucio, is a travesty.
    I think Lucio really should of been there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I think Lucio really should of been there

I actually think Samuel was more consistent over the season. They should've both been in. Milito as well is very unlucky.

Perhaps Inter's start to the 2010/11 season has counted against them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Agree that the absence of Lucio is BS

• Advertisement

flahavaj wrote: »

anyone who turns this into a Rafa thread gets beaten to death.

:D:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

flahavaj wrote: »
    I actually think Samuel was more consistent over the season. They should've both been in. Milito as well is very unlucky.

Probably getting raped by Bale didn't help :D ya there poor form and Milito getting injured probably didn't help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

SlickRic wrote: »

Mourinho got manager of the year so one could argue Inter are represented by 3 people. The WC obviously had some impact here and Samuel and Lucio hardly crowned themselves in glory in that with Lucio scoring an OG in Brazils defeat and Spain conceding what, 1 or 2 goals all tournament with Pique and Puyol at the heart of the defense. Mourinho was the main reason Inter won the CL last year and I doubt anyone can argue with that. Yes they have a brilliant team and Lucio/Samuel are one of the top pairings in World football but it is hardly laughable that Pique and Puyol finsihed ahead of them considering their stats all year.

tbh, I would have had Evra over A. Cole, I'm tempted to say the World Cup fiasco counted against him...

Evra got the LB spot ahead of Cole in the EPL team of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Lucio ahead of Puyol. Milito ahead of Villa. After that, I'd agree with it.

• Advertisement

Warper wrote: »
    Mourinho got manager of the year so one could argue Inter are represented by 3 people. The WC obviously had some impact here and Samuel and Lucio hardly crowned themselves in glory in that with Lucio scoring an OG in Brazils defeat and Spain conceding what, 1 or 2 goals all tournament with Pique and Puyol at the heart of the defense. Mourinho was the main reason Inter won the CL last year and I doubt anyone can argue with that. Yes they have a brilliant team and Lucio/Samuel are one of the top pairings in World football but it is hardly laughable that Pique and Puyol finsihed ahead of them considering their stats all year.

it is laughable.

the World Cup is 7 games.

Inter dícked on all competitions, and Mourinho or not, Lucio and Samuel were the best defensive partnership in the world last year.

if the World Cup counted all that much, Ronaldo and Cashley would certainly not be near the team.

i'm no Barca hater, fúcking far from it, but credit where credit is due, Inter should have been far better represented, and if they care, they should rightly feel a little aggrieved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

I say Andy Gray is fuming. Would love to see that team up against Stoke on a wet wednesday night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Probably getting raped by Bale didn't help :D
    Well Maicon still made it...

On a separate note, I wonder if a 'Team of the Year' will ever be picked that isn't 4-4-2 and that has to include some sort of defensive midfielder. It's always wing-forwards on the wing and nobody to help the CBs out when the two attacking full-backs mill off up the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

smokedeels wrote: »
    tbh, I would have had Evra over A. Cole, I'm tempted to say the World Cup fiasco counted against him...

Evra got the LB spot ahead of Cole in the EPL team of the year.

Cole was better then Evra. Last year was A.Cole best year in a Chelsea jersey, chipped in with goals and assists too.

Also, I would have had Lucio or Samuel instead of Puyol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

People moaning about Puyol and not mentioning Casillas? Puyol did win La Liga at least on top of the world cup and went further than Madrid in the CL.

Ush1 wrote: »
    People moaning about Puyol and not mentioning Casillas? Puyol did win La Liga at least on top of the world cup and went further than Madrid in the CL.

who would you have gone for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

smokedeels wrote: »
    who would you have gone for?

Casillas, but I agree with Puyol being there. I value a World Cup hugely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

I don't think the World Cup should be included. It should only be based on UEFA competitions e.g. Champions League, not FIFA competitions like the World Cup

And lol at no Bayern Munich players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Pauleta wrote: »
    I say Andy Gray is fuming. Would love to see that team up against Stoke on a wet wednesday night.

Lol, ya no wonder nothing is being made of it. It only contains 1 player from what we are led to believe is the best league in the world.

Advertisement