Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

upgarade to sky plus from standard box

• 20-01-2011 1:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

hey, i currently have a standard sky box and have had it about 10 years now, rang sky to upgrade to a sky plus box and they wanted 199 for box and 49 installation or something like that, i have heard and read here that they will bargin with you.i have been a full sky world customer for the last ten years or so i think they should upgrade fo free or a small fee.anyone any advise on what to say or ask for?? maybe getting the h.d plus box would be an option if they reduced the 15 a month fee, or maybe pay for the h.d and get a free box and installation has anyone got a deal like this with them.thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Well,sometimes they will do a deal with you...More so with being a customer for so long. Just got to get to the right person on the other end of the phone.

From what I read,,what usually works best is if you tell them your quitting Sky,and are going to move to UPC,as they will offer you want you want,for free. (I presume it's free,I'm open to correction).

Sky normally do anything to hold onto it's customers..So should be worth a bash..

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭fanta2009

ring the cancellations department and tell them you want to leave because its too expensive to upgrade, worked for me they offered my a free upgrade to sky +.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭ixtlan

Yes indeed. What is so annoying is that you must go through this charade, rather than they having proper loyalty upgrade schemes. As a Sky World customer they will indeed do anything they can to keep you. If you were interested in SkyHD there are some deals which from my calculations worked out as costing €180 for a new box taking into account the HD subscription for the minimum one year period.

However I agree with the others. Say you want to leave and you should get a new box. Note that someone will have to come to your house to change the dish LNB and run a second cable, and often in these cases they may choose to replace the dish.

Ix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭davlacey

upgrade it yourself i did my own for 50 euro, buy a quad lnb and a used sky plus box and some cable. then just ring them up to pair your card with the new box and to activate the recording feature and its done no waiting for them to come out

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭fanta2009

ya i gotta wait til monday for them to come, my dish only has one LNB so they might need to replace it with another one for sky +, hope there is an extra LNB so i can hook up the old box for freeview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭JDxtra

davlacey wrote: »
    upgrade it yourself i did my own for 50 euro, buy a quad lnb and a used sky plus box and some cable. then just ring them up to pair your card with the new box and to activate the recording feature and its done no waiting for them to come out

For most, that's not cost effective and a lot of hassle. With Sky they do the full install (saving ladder climbs & cable runs) and you get a brand new HD box with full warranty. It's worth haggling with Sky to get it for a good price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭JDxtra

fanta2009 wrote: »
    freeview
    Free to air satellite channels. Freeview = UK terrestial system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭meath4sam

so rang sky today said want to cancel as upgrade price is to much and was changeing to upc, she said wait 1 min to see what we can do and offered free sky plus box and free instalation, i then asked about h.d so she said free hd plus box and instalation and 1st 6months hd free then 15euro for next 6 months so tock that offer happy days. thanks for advise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

meath4sam wrote: »
    so rang sky today said want to cancel as upgrade price is to much and was changeing to upc, she said wait 1 min to see what we can do and offered free sky plus box and free instalation, i then asked about h.d so she said free hd plus box and instalation and 1st 6months hd free then 15euro for next 6 months so tock that offer happy days. thanks for advise

Cool one...Well done....:D

Advertisement