Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best New Phones

• 20-01-2011 2:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭

So I'm sitting here looking at my Symbian piece of shít and decided that it's time for me to get my first Android.

Seems that the best Androids out at the moment are Desire HD, Galaxy S, Desire Z etc. I'm looking for something decent but I can wait a few months so is there anything due to come out in the next few months that will be better then the current stock?

I know of the LG coming out with a dual core processor along with the rumoured PSP phine, anything else in the pipe works?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

In less than a month the Mobile World Congress will be held in Barcelona and their expecting a lot of new phones to be shown off by all the major manufactures. Personally im looking forward to seeing what HTC has planned for the next 6 months, iv a HTC Desire and I love it but im thinking of upgrading in maybe June this year.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

The Motorola Atrix seems like it may be a good phone. The docking capabilities are certainly interesting.

Image:
    motorola_atrix_4g_front.jpg

Review: http://ces2011.techradar.com/2011/01/hands-on-motorola-atrix-review-2/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

CombatCow wrote: »
    In less than a month the Mobile World Congress will be held in Barcelona and their expecting a lot of new phones to be shown off by all the major manufactures. Personally im looking forward to seeing what HTC has planned for the next 6 months, iv a HTC Desire and I love it but im thinking of upgrading in maybe June this year.....

I love my Desire, the HD is class and I think it's a nice size, but it's not a big enough jump in features for me. Hopefully something cool enough to justify an upgrade will come out over the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Otacon wrote: »
    The Motorola Atrix seems like it may be a good phone. The docking capabilities are certainly interesting.

Except that Motorola lock their phones down, no custom roms. Boycott them tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

TheRiddler wrote: »
    So I'm sitting here looking at my Symbian piece of shít and decided that it's time for me to get my first Android.

Seems that the best Androids out at the moment are Desire HD, Galaxy S, Desire Z etc. I'm looking for something decent but I can wait a few months so is there anything due to come out in the next few months that will be better then the current stock?

I know of the LG coming out with a dual core processor along with the rumoured PSP phine, anything else in the pipe works?

IMO Best Android out at the moment is the HTC Desire HD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Im waiting for LG Optimus 2x. Its meant to come to UK in mid feb.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Motorola atrix here cause it offers nice stuff but its a bit ugly. And judging by the fact that motorola has abandoned Ireland a few years ago i wouldn't expect to see it here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

The LG Optimus 2x looks nice alright BUT it's an LG :eek: :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

srsly78 wrote: »
    Except that Motorola lock their phones down, no custom roms. Boycott them tbh.

Motorola may be changing their tune?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Dipsomaniac

Samsung are revealing their next-generation Galaxy S smartphone on 13th Feb

http://www.cnet.com/8301-17918_1-20028915-85.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc will be carried by 3 in a few months:

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsson_xperia_arc-pictures-3619.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Walkman wrote: »
    Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc will be carried by 3 in a few months:

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsson_xperia_arc-pictures-3619.php

Apart from Sony Ericsson phones being crap the specs look very meh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

dlambirl wrote: »
    IMO Best Android out at the moment is the HTC Desire HD.

I'd say it might be the least worst.

Whilst i'm mostly happy with it, the Camera, video recording are not great.

Zagato wrote: »

It's just spin/damage control from the bad pr. Actions > words.

srsly78 wrote: »
    It's just spin/damage control from the bad pr. Actions > words.

Yeah I got that impression from that article as well due to the rather odd wording the PR monkey used.

Samsung are revealing their next-generation Galaxy S smartphone on 13th Feb

http://www.cnet.com/8301-17918_1-20028915-85.html

lets hope they learned from the mistakes with galaxy s. Great hardware, poor software :( half of the world is still stuck on 2.1 android

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Eoin_Sheehy

I think there is maybe better phones than HTC ones but if you're into custom ROM's and whatnot, HTC is worth it for the sheer number of Developers.

Ah come on. The lag issue is a joke. 2.2 update still not available for everyone. And maybe never will. They released it by the time 2.3 is out. That's a joke. I don't argue its a great piece of hardware. Just software by samsung ruined it :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Ah come on. The lag issue is a joke. 2.2 update still not available for everyone. And maybe never will. They released it by the time 2.3 is out. That's a joke. I don't argue its a great peace of hardware. Just software by samsung ruined it :-(

You just hang about here to troll?

What how is that trolling?

Usually he does, but in this instance he's right :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Venom wrote: »
    Apart from Sony Ericsson phones being crap the specs look very meh.

The specs on the Xperia Arc are better then the Desire HD if you take into consideration that the camera is miles better and it will run 2.3 out of the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    You just hang about here to troll?
    No thats pretty accurate. Samsungs bollox software ruins that phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

No thats pretty accurate. Samsungs bollox software ruins that phone

I don't know played briefly with a nexus S over christmas and I was surprised at the slight scroll lag on it. I know it may have been down to using the stock build and laucher but my original desire was much crisper and faster looking with launcher pro on it, so it could just be a samsung issue full stop

Raekwon wrote: »
    The specs on the Xperia Arc are better then the Desire HD if you take into consideration that the camera is miles better and it will run 2.3 out of the box.

Yeah but releasing a phone with the Desire HD spec is mental when all the other phone manufacturers are making Dual Core phones :eek:

This is slightly off topic, but Have now had my Hero for 18 months now and am looking to replace it in early Summer. I have sort of decided that I want my next phone to have a dual core chip and an NFC chip (or whatever it's called). So I was disappointed to find the Nexus S is single core, and that the Atrix has no NFC.
    What's really rattled me this week is that all things are pointed towards these 2 things being the big new additions in the iPhone 5 (Engadget has had 2 posts about it this week, and it's elsewhere rumoured). About 80% of my friends have iphones, so naturally I enjoy showing them things on my old phone, that their's can't do. I don't want to be hung out to dry, then, if apple beats android to implementing them both in the same device.

I am really hoping that HTC has something up their sleeve to sort me out. I know that there aren't any uses for NFC at the moment, but I plan to keep the phone for a couple of years.

Anyone have ideas about how likely the next HTC phones are to have NFC?

Just a note regarding iPhone supporting dual core and NFC. It probably will happen. But their only rumours. I wouldnt read into it too much.
    Also i can't imagine having NFC tags in Ireland anytime soon.
    I do imagine HTC working on something. They have been quiet for quiet a long time :| but I don't imagine to go spilling details anytime till close to launch. Which I think will happen just before iPhone 5 .
    Though it has been said HTC is gone slow to innovate. Seems LG and Samsung are leading in front. Just have to wait I guess on what their planning :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Venom wrote: »
    Yeah but releasing a phone with the Desire HD spec is mental when all the other phone manufacturers are making Dual Core phones :eek:

Apart from the LG Optimus 2X, most manufacturers are only planning to release dualcore phones right now, they probably won't be released in Europe until the end of the year and by then the newer Xperia will probably be in production and have a dual-core CPU to try and compete with whatever HTC, Samsung etc have up their sleeves.

Btw HTC's next flagship device, the HTC Thunderbolt, won't even have a dualcore processor but it will have a next generation 1GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon MSM8655 CPU that can process upto 1080p video recording (unlike the Desire HD & Xperia Arc that packs the older MSM8255 version and can only process upto 720p video recording).

Expansys planning yo release Optimus 2x by the end of Feb. But that will get delayed as always :)

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Jacky08

Why did Motorola not try and get a peice of the European market with their Android phones ?????

• Advertisement

Jacky08 wrote: »
    Why did Motorola not try and get a peice of the European market with their Android phones ?????

They are in Europe, just not in Ireland, we're not big enough :(

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Jacky08

They are in Europe, just not in Ireland, we're not big enough :(

So the same applies to Toshiba, ZTE etc ... is it a MNO- Network/ Vendor thing or simply a Vendor not interested in the Irish market ..... looking at the projections for the sale of smartphones -- (due to at least double in Ireland in 2011 to 1.5mil ) you'd think there'd be value it it for them ....just doing some reseach - cheers

well the fact that alot of people still dont have a clue what android is. If you ever mention Android or Windows Phone 7 to some one they look at you confused to what it is ;) since feck all marketing for android exists from carriers on what it does and how it works :)

iPhone still rules here.

People still used to look at my HD2 and now HD7 and ask is that an iPhone :)

I don't really know anything about this, but from a common sense point of view:
    We are a relatively small market
    Any phone brand will need some promotion
    The cost of promoting phones in the smaller market would be relatively higher to networks.
    It makes sense from the networks point of view to only promote a few phones, so it depends on which ones they choose, which is in turn dependent on the deal the manufacturer is willing to do with the network (cost/promotion).

Look at how the Desire was mysteriously out of stock for the 5 months following their iphone launch Vodafone, they were under pressure to sell iphones

This is slightly off topic, but Have now had my Hero for 18 months now and am looking to replace it in early Summer. I have sort of decided that I want my next phone to have a dual core chip and an NFC chip (or whatever it's called). So I was disappointed to find the Nexus S is single core, and that the Atrix has no NFC.
    What's really rattled me this week is that all things are pointed towards these 2 things being the big new additions in the iPhone 5 (Engadget has had 2 posts about it this week, and it's elsewhere rumoured). About 80% of my friends have iphones, so naturally I enjoy showing them things on my old phone, that their's can't do. I don't want to be hung out to dry, then, if apple beats android to implementing them both in the same device.

I am really hoping that HTC has something up their sleeve to sort me out. I know that there aren't any uses for NFC at the moment, but I plan to keep the phone for a couple of years.

Anyone have ideas about how likely the next HTC phones are to have NFC?

Looks like at least I'll have one option with the Samsung Galaxy S II, although hopefully HTC will have something pretty similar to announce shortly

If im right HTC should announce their phones tomorrow.

I like the Galaxy II, its quite impressive hardware but its damn ugly bad copy of iPhone 4.

• Advertisement

Well looks like I'm going to have to go with SGS II -bugger, was hoping for a better showing from HTC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Well looks like I'm going to have to go with SGS II -bugger, was hoping for a better showing from HTC

+1

Very disappointing from HTC. Their new flagship is running 2.2 and has one core. That's pretty pathetic TBH.

Whereas Samsung have pounced with an unbelievably good screen and a dual-core processor, as well as the latest version of Android. Again though, I worry about the build quality and hope it feels better in the hand than the SGS did.

Advertisement