Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sub 75min half marathon

Options
  • 20-01-2011 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭

I havn't yet picked out a half marathon as i am currently coming back from
    injury.
    I got a bad cut to my foot under my arch and recieved 6 stitches.
    The stitches are out 5 days now and I have decided to come back nice and slowly.
    After todays run a sub 75 10miler seems more realistic than a half marathon:eek:

todays run was 2.84miles @ 8.40min miles average heart rate 158
    Havn't felt so sluggish but a really nice feeling after.
    i did a pilates class yesterday evening and my back was a little tight.
    my foot was tender but I wasn't in pain which was good.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

welcome back thirstwork. How did you cut your foot? Any plans of a marathon if the half goes well!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Tasty target thirstywork,good luck with the training

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Its a good target to aim fro if I can get back running well.
    The foot was my own fault,ran cross country race in phoenix park and decided to take my footwear of as I was blistering during the race.
    Stood on something and felt sharp pain but kept going,had to stop and here is the picture if you want to have a look???
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=807796&id=100000116929

I am going to spend the rest of the month and Feb doing easy running just to get the body back used to it.Been a crap last few months.

Regards the marathon this year dublin is the goal as im turning 30 this year:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

I am going to spend the rest of the month and Feb doing easy running just to get the body back used to it.

best of luck with the goal, ill follow the log with intrest...

im in a similar situation as yourself in regards to 'getting back into it', was going well before Christmas but had a few things which stopped training and in early Jan when i got back running i got injured and missed 2weeks....still not over the injury and have decided just to take it easy for another 2/3weeks before i start a half marathon plan(hopefully sub80).

do you think it will take you long to get back to doing your quality sessions at pace after the long lay off and only easy miles?

Not sure about time scale when I will be starting sessions.Just work on my areobic levels first.
    Have you picked out a half marathon for your sub 80?
    what type of injury did you have?

• Advertisement

The half is on in Canada in June, very flat, i think overall only 20m total elevation gain but it is likely to be very hot even at 7am!
    i was running there last summer and found the heat from the sun to be very intense!!

i have a glute/ham injury, came about after a hard rep session, towards the end of the reps i was running sloppy and feet were hitting the ground hard...i ran this week but im in no shape to run hard miles so giving the munster 10m series a skip in prep for a proper training plan.

nice bit of time to prepare.good luck with that.will check your training log.

ya, loads of time but wont be running at a decent pace for a few weeks into it....should be ok if i get a run at it though. my pb is just under 82 off the back of 10weeks marathon training and a very hilly(well 1 hill) cork half, so im hoping if i can train ill be ok for a crack at sub80 after 18weeks training!

anyway ill follow the log also, mine will take a few weeks to get going again though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Regards the marathon this year dublin is the goal as im turning 30 this year:(

Dublin is more than likely my goal aswell, You should jump in with us. We'll be following Daniels' elite marathon plan. Its gonna be good.

will take you up on that offer Tunguska when i get fit enough.

Todays run was awfull, ran 3.73 miles @ 9.22 mile pace
    My back was all tight down my left side.Just above my left ankle was tight from
    not wanting to put pressure on my injury and my right hip was tight.
    still better to be running than doing nothing.
    Getting my new bike next week so will start cycling abit more to get the aerobid fitness up and take pressure of the foot.

• Advertisement

will take you up on that offer Tunguska when i get fit enough.

Todays run was awfull, ran 3.73 miles @ 9.22 mile pace
    My back was all tight down my left side.Just above my left ankle was tight from
    not wanting to put pressure on my injury and my right hip was tight.
    still better to be running than doing nothing.
    Getting my new bike next week so will start cycling abit more to get the aerobid fitness up and take pressure of the foot.

Not starting til April so you'll have plenty of time to get back up to speed between now and then.

Today was a run of mixed feelings.Went for a run early at 8am with couple lads from work in Tymon park.
    pace was alot quicker than I had been running of late.
    Ran 9miles @ 7.30min miles.Average heart rate was 161bpm
    the bad new is 20mins into the run my foot started to hurt but eased towards the end.
    When I stopped and looked at the wound and it had opened up slightly.
    So maybe a few days rest might be needed !!!

rest day today.going to be a good few rest days now to let my foot heal.
    The skin is so soft under the arch that its difficult and also to keep pressure of the foot.
    Myhamstrings where very tight just walking today from the run Saturday.

another rest day,spent yesterday soaking foot in salt and hot water.
    anyone any tips on how to speed up the healing?
    Foot still very sore:mad:

another rest day,spent yesterday soaking foot in salt and hot water.
    anyone any tips on how to speed up the healing?
    Foot still very sore:mad:

Dont think theres much you can do with that kind of injury Kev. Its not like a tight calve or hamstring were you can stretch and roll it out. I know its frustrating as feck, but you dont really have any control over this one. The bike is a good idea though. I know its not the same thing but its better than nothing. I was in sportsmed last week and I saw Mary Cullen absolutley batin' the hell out of a stationary bike. She fell and did her shoulder so she couldnt run. But by Christ was she making the most of what she could do. Shes some hardy woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Dunno how the wound would react to chemicals in the pool but if not too bad get a flotation belt and hit the aquatic centre for some pool running. as your foot not touching the pool floor you should be grand. Its an option other than that just give the wound time and you should be back on your feet in no time

cheers for the advice lads.I tend to just give up when I get injured.
    hit the guy tonight and did 45mins Pilates.Did 15mins on the bike,found it so so boring.
    the foot looks awful so going to go back to the hospital asap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

I was reading your opening post thinking 'I know this guy'.
    Andy H here, I hope that clears up soon. By the way happy 30th. I'll be away this weekend but thanks for the invite on FB, enjoy!

well still no running but foot feeling a good bit better today.skin is starting to peal but looks alot better.
    Plan to start on the bike Saturday so hopefully get up to 3 or 4 hour spins on it.
    Think im 12 or 13 kg of my racing weight.Has anyone used an aqua jogging belt before?If so what thype of sessions?I am getting one soon.
    some savage results in Raheny 5mile,well done to all who ran it.

yesterday did 40mins ont he bike in the gym.45 mins pilates,sould feel it today:D
    did 5mins running but too sore so had to stop.today I took day off but foot killing me from standing.:mad:

• Advertisement

havn't been updating this of late but good news on the running front.
    First run back yesterday of 3.5miles at 7.40 pace.
    foot a little tender after but no real pain.
    The previous day i did an hour on the cross trainer and 45mins pilates.
    so the plan is to run every second day now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Good to hear - you'll be back in no time.

Good start to the day,
    forgot my garmin so training buddy who logs in k's.
    ran 10k in 47mins,felt sluggish at start but as run went on felt great.
    did 4mile cycle as warm up and good stretch after ;)

going for spin with my new tri club tommorow !!!

Well today was a bike spin.Never did anymore than 20k on a bike before so today was a shock to the system.Cycled for 70k,first 10k was very easy and got held up with a punture to one of the other riders.
    Was fine until 55-60k and going up a slight incline I was suffering.
    Really enjoyed it,not as much as running but i plan on doing 2 bike spins a week(maybe not 70k ;)

Tommorow Is going to be an easy run just to ease the legs back in !!!

back to the running again today,nothing exciting:o
    ran 4.5miles @ 8min mile pace.

Whats this about a Triathlon club? Are you gonna give that scene a go? Did a few myself and I have to say they're the business. Big time investment though.

Im probably going to just do the bike and run this year with the view to a sprint tri next year.The duathlons run in the phoenix park fit in perfect with my training so going to compete in them.

Well tonights run I ran with a friend of mine in the phoenix park,ran an hour at 7min miles.Was breathing heavy and felt like a umpa lumpa.
    weighed myself and im 13stone 9 pounds.
    My racing weight is 12 stone so alot of work to be done there.

Ran 5miles in tymon park today,felt very very tired.glad I had someone to run with.Think a massage is in order soon.looking forward to getting next 5 weeks out of the way and start planning for races and doing some sessions.
    Also managed to do 10miles ont he bike today.

19miles so far this week,if I can do 30-35 I will be happy as well as my long bike ride Sunday.

Took a rest day yesterday having felt tired and heavy.
    Well today was a big turn around,fely great from the start,wasn't setting any records but after the first mile in 6.37 I decided to keep the pace for the next 4miles.Total miles 5 average pace 6.37 per mile.

Got a pair of Puma Fass 500 to try out and I was suprised how responsive they where.They look more of a fashion shoe but will give a review on them after 100+ miles.

24miles so far this week:eek:

• Advertisement

I think I should rename my thread sub 95min half marathon.I know im only back a few days but normally I feel alot better,maybe its the excess weight and lack of training paartners.
    Did 7miles today @ 7.40 pace and to be honest it felt like I was running 6min pace,was out of breath and not comfortable.

Have bike ride tommorow and legs falling of me,gona be fun;)
    Total run miles for the week:31
    Total on the bike so far:65 with tommorow to come

Advertisement