Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sub 75min half marathon

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Ran tonight at 6pm in Tymon park.
    Met up with a local friend from the area and we started to run at 7.40 pace.As the run progressed the average time went down to 6.44 by 30mins and by the end of 60mins was 6.38
    Last 4 miles splits were 6.33 6.23 6.28 and 6.21
    felt controlled but tough.
    total miles for today:13

Ran with a couple of sub 2.30 marathon runners this morning.
    Was a little bit worried pace might be abit fast but stopped being a pussy and met up with the lads.
    Ran 15miles average pace was 6.47 per mile
    mile1:7.20 mile2:7.10 mile3:7.09 mile4:7.08 mile5:6.54 mile6:6.48 mile7:6.35 mile8:6.29 mile9:6.50 mile10:6.44 mile11:6.46 mile12:6.36
    mile13:6.28 mile14:6.25 mile15:6.24
    did 15minutes stretching after.

Nice finish to the week,I have sortedout one massage per week and stong emphasis on my diet going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

That's great going after those fast miles yesterday evening. Keep it up.

I think my aerobic sysyem isn't too bad but id be shocked to see if I did any fast stuff ie sub 6min miles.Just feel in control of what im doing right now.
    I think a major thingthats been missing over the last coupld of years is a schedule.It keeps you in check and gives you a reason why certain things have to be done.
    Also having the option of a suggested pace and distance as well as a slower and faster option makes me able to work around it depending how my body feels.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

Agree 100% on the schedule. Weekly mileage targets and the 2 quality sessions per week have brought me on loads.
    Yep, pushing too hard on an off-day is a recipe for disaster.

• Advertisement

Todays run was 9miles at 7.07 per mile.Weather was fantastic,ran on the grass in the phoenix park.
    Longish run tommorow with Ecoli in Tymon Park after work.hopefully weather stays like this :)
    Mon:9miles
    Asics Nimbus

Easy 10mile this morning,had planned 12 but with getting up late and having to cycle to meet Ecoli 10 was going to have to do.
    Pace was very relaxed but felt tired.average pace was 7.28 per mile.
    Day off work tommorow so fartlek in the park:D

Tue:10miles
    asics nimbus

Ran 2.5miles home yesterday evening and felt like crap.

So todays run was a fartlek session but I knew after 3 or four efforts I was best off just running and leave my efforts for another today.
    to my suprise the run got faster but today showed how a runner can kid themselves they are fit when they are not.

Run went as follows:mile1 7.16 mile2 7.01 mile3 6.40 mile4 6.46 mile5 6.30 mile6 6.38 mile7 6.15 then easy .7 of a mile cool down.
    Total:7.7miles

Ttoal miles so far this week: 29
    Mizuno Rider

Nice easy run @ 7.45 pace into work
    Total was 4miles
    Forgot how it is to run easy,will have to start slowing down soem of my runs
    as the body isn't ready for it.
    hour run after work,hope the wins dies down:eek:
    shoes:mizuno rider

first evening run past 7pm.Ran very relaxed and didn't bother looking at pace.Ran on roads and grass!!
    Run was 11.5miles and average pace was 7.24minutes per mile.

Shoes:wave rider
    Total miles so far this week:44.5miles

• Advertisement

4miles easy this morning,was an active recovery day.Pace was 7.35 per mile.tough coupld of days coming up.got a massage on hamstrings and calves.

Total weekely milegage:48.5
    shoes:Puma

Ran 2mile warm up 7.30 pace and 2mile 6.30 pace followed by 2miles 6.10pace and 1mile 7.30 pace
    total 7miles
    shoes:asics tarther
    total miles:55.5

Ran 15.5miles today average pace was around 7.10-15 but we ran Kilmashogue-ticknock in between.
    ran too hard early on and suffered but the session will bring me on.
    Back to the phoenix park next Sunday for me :)

weeks total miles:71

Nice steady run in the park,had abit of company which always helps.The body knows it done a hill session yesterday as a little tired.
    Ran 9miles as follows 1mile:7.44 2mile:7.38 3mile:7.11 4mile:6.56 5mile:6.50 6mile:6.55 7mile:6.39 8mile:6.48 9mile:6.19
    average pace was 7min per mile.
    Weighed myself today and 12stone 12 pounds so a loss of 11 pounds since I started back 4 weeks ago.
    shoes:wave rider
    surface:90% grass

Total miles:9

4miles steady @ 6.50 pace.8-10 miles later but not feeling great today.Lack of energy and tired :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

4miles steady @ 6.50 pace.8-10 miles later but not feeling great today.Lack of energy and tired :(

Your training has really cranked up the last couple of weeks so probably not too surprising you are feeling a bit of fatigue. Any ideas what you max weekly mileage will be? Have you decided which half you are going to race? Can't see 75 minutes being too hard hard for you to achieve!

I have started week 4 of a 10 week base which will go up to 90miles by week 10.
    Then I have 3 weeks of hills and 2 weeks of anerobic phase.
    Half Marathon looks like the Strawberry half in wexford.Would have loved to run achill but doesnt seem to suit timewise.
    I think timewise i can go abit quicker than 75minutes for the half but talk is cheap.I will know alot more when I start to run sessions and race again.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

Your training seems to be based on the Lydiard system, do you approach all your new training phases this way...just getting back training myself, might take this approach.

hey heffsarmy I usually try adapt something similar but never stick to it.usually after 5-6 weeks I just want to race and forget how important the base phase is.
    The more I have been talking to runners lately i relaise how important miles are and session are only the final piece in the jigsaw.
    I can send you on my programme if you want to have a look.its based on my pb's and vo2max

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

I think the base phase is important as it helps prevent injuries when hitting the faster stuff, if you don't mind sending me on your program that would be great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭lizanne83

thirstywork… Sub 75 no bothers to you… you're mad determined and very fast PB's as it is… the return from injury is the only hesitation… so you need to return really slowly - but there's your problem; you'll just lash back into it! :p

Will follow the log. Keep up the good work - and don't forget the bike for cross-training and much needed leg-rest while cranking up the miles... and lay off the partying and late nights!!! *Sleep=training* My-lecture-is-done!!! :cool:

Cheers for that lizanne and typical I havn't slept in over 36hours,bad case of insomnia.
    Anyway yesterday evening did 10miles after my morning run @ 7.09 pace
    mile1:7.13,7.14,7.03,7.34,7.20,7.30,7.11,6.53,7.22,6.55 and 6.29
    shoes:nike vomero,wont be wearing them again as my calfs was sore during run,too much movement in the show.
    Today due to lack of sleep I met up with kev for a run in park.ran real easy and just chatted away,ran 11miles @ 7.24 average pace
    mile1:7.29,7.29,7.31,7.40,7.30,7.30,7.33,7.31,7.23,6.56 and 6.51
    shoes:asics tarther
    recap tue:14miles
    wed:11

total so far this week :34miles

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

That's great progress in the last few weeks.
    Sounds like you have a great selection of shoes!!! There's a couple in there that I never heard of before. What are the tarther like? How far would you race in them?

very happy with the last few weeks but just want to keep it steady now.
    The tarther Id say could be used up to the marathon distance although the soleI wouldn't be a big fan of.I think my next shoes are going to be the Brooks Glycerin or ghost.

15.5 mile run in phoenix park today,had company for first 10miles which was great.
    splits mile1:7.15,7.25,7.00,7.51,7.30,7.11,7.12,7.04,6.40,6.46,6.49,6.54,7.03,7.09,6.48,6.42,6.24,6.16,
    average pace 6.59 per mile.
    hydrated during run.
    total so far:49.5miles

Late evening run in phoenix park tonight ran 5.5miles @ 7.35 pace
    Hamstring abit tight so tommorows out and back run going to be replaced with a steady 70minutes.
    shoes:asics sky speed

total miles:55

Ran saturday evening 8miles steady 7min pace
    Today i ran the Debra half marathon and finished second,took the wrong path but happy enough with the run.good blow out on the hills.
    Total miles for the week:79

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Well done on a great training week and placing in half marathon. Nice one, things starting to go well for you.

Mon:ran 6.5 miles at 8min miles,my legs and gleuts where so sore from the downhills on the race.
    Shoes:Mizuno rider

Tue:7miles not sure what pace was as had no watch.Not as sore as yesterday !!!
    shoes:etonic praya

• Advertisement

WED:Started running tonight in phoenix park and was going to turn around after 10minutes as I just had a crappy day and didnt want to run.
    So I decided to hit the roads for a change as I was on the paths int he park anyway.
    Headed down towards Croke Park and back up through the city centre along the luas tracks.Started to get into a nice rhythm.Pace started at 8min miles and by the end of 15miles I had averaged 7.08 min miles.
    Think I over did the layers as never sweated so much on a run.

Legs seems to be just getting over last sundays race/hills
    Will decide on Friday if I will runa 10k race.If I do then I will revert back to training for 4-5 weeks and get the head down.

total:15miles
    total so far this week:28.5miles
    shoes:asics sky speed

Advertisement