Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sub 75min half marathon

123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

am 30min run, pm 30min run
    got a light massage earlier for an hour.
    total miles:8.5

miles for the week:30
    shoes:nb 1080

6miles today with one mile at 6min pace in the middle.
    hamstring a little tight.
    shoes:brooks
    miles this week:36

Friday rest day:just wanted to get this race out of the way.

So Saturday I woke up early and headed down to Donore to pick up my number.Did a nice warm up with ritchie Healy and Alan O broen before the race.Legs felt heavy but good.
    Race gun went and pace was steady at the start,I was back in about 12-15th position but only 10metres of the front after 800m.
    I was relaxed and feeling good I passed 1k in 3.05.After this we headed onto the road and I began to pick of a few runners till I was up in 5th or 6th place.Just before 1k Vinny Mulvey upped the pace and Alan O brien followed,they pulled away and no one gave chase.
    When I hit the road I became a little uneasy,was I going to fast or should I just push on or settle,these problems set in when you havn't raced in a good while and being fit.
    So just before 2k I decided to take up the front and push on the pace just before the downhill.On the downhill Bernard Roe came past and Paul Fleming(mr consistant)I tucked in behind and as we hit the first steep hill I made a move,well looking back now it was a pathetic move as halfway up the hill my legs turned to lead and Paul and Bernard went past.
    I was thinking negative now and feelign sorry for myself but the positive was the lads seemed to be struggling against the wind and hills.
    couple of glances behind and with about 400m to go soem guy was gaining and could hear people shouting for him.
    With the line in sight I put the head down and just went all out,slowly what was probably an 9-10second gap on Bernard finished up around 2-3seconds and I had pulled well clear of whoever was chasing me with 400m to go.Nice finish and very happy with the race.
    Miles today:11
    Shoes:race;mizuno ronin training;asics landreth(yes a new pair again)

13miles easy today.Decided to sign off on my training log for now.
    The half marathon is further down the road and sub 75 I think I could run now so maybe 72-73 will be the aim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Well be sure to start another one,I've really enjoy reading this one.
    What you think with a top 5 finish and what you're too good for us now :D

• Advertisement

Ok so have decided to start back my training log as loosing a little bit of motivation.
    Since Dore I ran Clonliffe 2mile in 9.48 which was ok.
    I had 10days in Lanzarote training but been sluggish since i got back.
    Session yesterday was terrible and did nice 11miles today.
    Running Dunshaughlin next Saturday.
    so starting tommorow the log will begin with a new title.
    Any ideas for a good title?

Nice time in Clonliffe, you pipped my mate by a second :D

Regarding motivation, is there a chance you overdid it in Spain? if so maybe 3/4 days of easy is what you need.
    I'll see you up at Dunshaughlin.

Woddle wrote: »
    Nice time in Clonliffe, you pipped my mate by a second :D

Regarding motivation, is there a chance you overdid it in Spain? if so maybe 3/4 days of easy is what you need.
    I'll see you up at Dunshaughlin.

That was a mistake as I would have been same tiem as Paul Duffy from Sportsworld(think thats his name)
    Phil was more than a second behind me for sure.

Didnt overtrain in lanzarote but think the sun took it out of me.slight niggle with adductor now so limping a little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Good to see your log back, So any plans to take to the track this summer, think I spotted you in the steeplechase in the nations a couple of yeas ago?

Didnt get out for a run till 9pm last night,was hit and miss if i went but glad i got out in the pissing rain and slogged around for 50minutes.

very aprehensive about todays session after last sat.
    Anyway session went well and averaged 73 seconds per 400m off 100m jog recover(40-45secs)
    nice cool down over to polo grounds to have a look/stretch and then jog back home.
    Heffsarmy was there and few others of Boards.
    Mileage this week:15

• Advertisement

9miles today,went down to watch graded meet.Good to see Colin Costello back running well 3.47 1500m easing up and Dave Campbell back racing after a year of injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

Good to see your training log back in action. Don't skimp on those running shoe details!

todays run was 40minutes with 4 x 100m strides.
    shoes:new balance 1080
    Little niggle in my right hamstring and adductors still tight(not to myself ''never do lunges ever again'')

Dunshaughlin 10k tonight:

went out way way way too fast:3k split 9.27
    5k split 16.27
    Finished up in a pb around 33.52
    Silly way to run a race,was nice meeting a few Boardsies tonight.
    total miles:10

Nice meeting you this evening, I'll be sure to pop up next week for the racers.

65mins easy today,body wasn't likeing me today :(

left the run till 8pm.all the lads int he club where coming in as I was going out.legs still heavy and sore(quads mainly)
    ran 55mins @ 7min pace
    Have a flush out session tommorow but Saturdays session is mental.

Gorgeous day for a session int he polo grounds.Ran 6 x 600m in 1.47,1,47,1.46,1.46,1.47,1.46,1.44(1min recovery)
    Felt good considering legs still bit tight from the race.
    total miles 8

havn't been updating my training lately.
    Mainly been 30-1hour runs and last wed did my first I.M.R.A race of the year finishing 3rd.uphill was a struggle with my lower back.

Bit of bad news on Thursday(won't go into it on here)but hadnt ran since wed.

I had a 7mile tempo to do last fri so decided to run the half today and do 7miles in the middle of the half today @ clontarf.
    5.30,5.25,5.20,6.15,5.30,5.25,5.20 and back to 6min miles.(pb 76.36)
    was great to get a win.Hamstrings and hips very tight after.
    Weekly mileage 50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

havn't been updating my training lately.
    Mainly been 30-1hour runs and last wed did my first I.M.R.A race of the year finishing 3rd.uphill was a struggle with my lower back.

Bit of bad news on Thursday(won't go into it on here)but hadnt ran since wed.

I had a 7mile tempo to do last fri so decided to run the half today and do 7miles in the middle of the half today @ clontarf.
    5.30,5.25,5.20,6.15,5.30,5.25,5.20 and back to 6min miles.(pb 76.36)
    was great to get a win.Hamstrings and hips very tight after.
    Weekly mileage 50

Nice time and good win there TW2. What happened with the 06:15 in the middle?

• Advertisement

trainign been up and down of late.just want to get this 5mile race out of the way Saturday and get ready for the National half in September.

today was 3mile warmup 8 x 400m average 74 recovery 30seconds
    previous weeks mileage was 65miles.
    tommorow 45mins thursday 40mins(with 6mins @ 75%)friday 30mins(4 x 100m strides)
    Saturday 65mins recovery run.

finished up 17th in todays 5mile race.
    race report here: http://amphibiankingkev.blogspot.com/2011/07/5mile-race-series.html

Sunday 80min run
    monday rest
    tue 8 x 200m in 33/34 was just a flush out session
    wed 30min run am 30min pm
    thursday 25mins 6.50 pace 20mins 5.50 pace 25mins 7min pace
    friday 30mins am 15mins pm
    sat 6 x 1k average 3.20 recovery 90secs

Sunday run of 90mins with club.felt tired from long day at work and session saturday.
    Distance covered 12.5miles shoes asics landreth

Monday:15min run

Tuesday:track session 2 x 400m times 72,73 2 x 800m times 2.27,2.25 2 x 400m 70,71 1 x 800m 2.25 2 x 400m 72,72
    recovery avarage 38-42 secs on 400m reps and 72-75 secs on 800m reps.
    shoes:brooks st5/brooks glycerin

wed:30mins am and 30mins pm
    Thursday:15mins warm up and running drills followed by 1mile 5.50 2mile 6.10 3mile 5.50 4mile 6.10 5mile 5.50 6mile 6.05 7mile 5.48 8mile 6.02
    cool down 10mins jog and stretching.
    shoes:brooks glycerin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

wed:30mins am and 30mins pm
    Thursday:15mins warm up and running drills followed by 1mile 5.50 2mile 6.10 3mile 5.50 4mile 6.10 5mile 5.50 6mile 6.05 7mile 5.48 8mile 6.02
    cool down 10mins jog and stretching.
    shoes:brooks glycerin

What had you out as far as Greystones?

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    What had you out as far as Greystones?

I was helping out a talented triathlete who is getting coaching from a friend who wanted to see where is fitness levels are at.
    lovely area to run.

Advertisement