Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Place to take pictures

• 20-01-2011 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

hey I'm getting into photography and I'm wondering were's the best place to go & take good photographs, my camera is a Canon 500D SLR. I live in Dublin & can drive any were is a good place to go to.

I've been going to parks to take pictures, I like taking landscape photographs along with urban photos too. But I'm open to new places to go to take pictures.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I was in Dublin City myself yesterday taking pictures. I was only after some simple bridge/reflection shots while there but, if you want Urban/Street head over to Temple bar. Great thing around there is , nobody cares about you standing in the middle of the street blatantly snapping random people. Other areas of the City you may have to be more subtle.

Head down the docklands for some scenics maybe, boats, sea, sky ... plenty of gulls about for practicing your more sporty shots/panning, wildlife. Dublin is a sandbox of great photographic potential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Botanic Gardens, Phoenix Park, St Stephen's Green are all good locations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

Bull island's a great haunt for photographers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Howth Hill, Killiney, Dalkey, Dun Laoghaire ... all good spots too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

In front of your lens is the logical place.

I know that sounds glib but it's true. There are good photo's everywhere, the trick is to train your eye to see them. Have a wander through the Random Thread and see how many good shots are of very ordinary things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Not if you live in Navan, with no transport!

I guess that's why I do all those abstract macro shots.

but OP said: "I like taking landscape photographs along with urban photos too" - Only so many of those you'll get in the average tiny Irish town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

If you want to do stuff like flowers/water/scenery, Botanic Gardens in Glasnevin is nice, and Dollymount->Howth is all lovely. Actually, while you're up around Bull Island, you could hop over to St Annes park which is full of all sorts of interesting people on any weekend afternoon.

Personally I'm not too sure about The Phoenix Park. I've been out there twice recently and not much "jumped off the shelf" compared to the spots along the Northside coast.

If you want to take interesting "urban" pictures, you could try Ballymun. It's going through a lot of changes and there's an interesting story on every turn. Though I wouldn't go prancing around up there with a camera around my neck unless I could handle myself, which I can't ... so I don't. hehe

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

condra wrote: »
    Personally I'm not too sure about The Phoenix Park. I've been out there twice recently and not much "jumped off the shelf" compared to the spots along the Northside coast.
    you have to go there at the right time of day. a nice morning with ground mist, and it's magical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭hmboards

you have to go there at the right time of day. a nice morning with ground mist, and it's magical.

Couldn't agree more. It's a wonderful place just after dawn with the deer and the mist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

CabanSail wrote: »
    In front of your lens is the logical place.

I know that sounds glib but it's true. There are good photo's everywhere, the trick is to train your eye to see them. Have a wander through the Random Thread and see how many good shots are of very ordinary things.

Never a truer word spoken (typed!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

surprised no one mentioned this, but head on down to the Poolbeg peninsula. You have the beach, the ESB chimneys, the lighthouse, Howth head and a fantastic view of the whole city if you walk out the great south wall a bit.

Directions from O'Connell St. here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Here's my list: Scoured from this forum and other places so if you recognise your text below, then yes, i did copy and paste it :)

I should start to call this my bucket list because i'm not getting anywhere near any of it so maybe that would focus my mind.

Anyhow, here goes - and in no particular order:
    • Dun Laoghaire - (Incl Peoples Park)
    • Powersourt gardens up from Eniskerry village
    • Sally Gap
    • Botanic Gardens
    • The deer in the Pheonix park
    • Howth (Howth is absolutely fantastic if the sun is shining. Go up to the Hurdy Gurdy museum on Abbey Street and walk to the railings - you have the whole of Howth below you.)
    • Balbriggan
    • UCD
    • Trinity
    • Sandymount - Off the beaten track in Sandymount, and up towards Poolbeg, is always a great spot / Sandymount seafront area is nice too. Also, it is possible to take a walk to the Lighthouse there.
    • Grand Canal
    • Anywhere west of Ranelagh Bridge makes good photos
    • Dalkey/Killiney are always worth a look. Dalkey town is nice, and then a nice walk up Killiney hill, to have a nice view out over the bay.
    • Dun Laoghaire and Sandycove are beautiful too, all the way along the coast - the pier in Dun Laoghaire, the 40ft for the people swimming, etc
    • Car park of the digital hub on thomas street. loads of old industrial stuff, and some weird contraptions (permission for going in?)
    • Clontarf - Bull Wall is great.
    • Connolly Station is fab also.
    • Mount Usher Gardens is worth a look in Wicklow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

nowayout1 wrote: »
    hey I'm getting into photography and I'm wondering were's the best place to go & take good photographs, my camera is a Canon 500D SLR. I live in Dublin & can drive any were is a good place to go to.

I've been going to parks to take pictures, I like taking landscape photographs along with urban photos too. But I'm open to new places to go to take pictures.

Go to photowalk.ie. Go out with people. Check out for photowalks occasionally posted here.

There's also a google map floating around with locations on it - think its in the expeditions thread (or used to be - I have not been around for a while.

Look at the random threads. see what you don't always see that's in front of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭anto2

Asia ! Its like shooting fish in a bowl here .I was back in Dublin in May and places like Grafton St and Temple bar are great for people shots .
    I have also just recently bought a Canon D500 .I find the colours very rich with that camera .

Advertisement