Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prowler/Peeping Tom -warning

Options
  • 20-01-2011 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

I live in CP (last row). Yesterday morning at 08.25 a guy was standing on the waste ground behind the houses staring straight at my house (for 20 minutes). I logged the call with the guards. This morning he arrived again at the same time. The guards arrived this moring and spotted him but didn't manage to track him down. I have just called the station for an update to be told that somebody else has reported him in the last 20 minutes and that the guards are back up in Charlesland trying to hunt him down. Just a warning to all, please be extra vigilant. I don't know what his intentions are because he clearing wasn't trying to hide. Report any suspicious behaviour to Greystones Garda Satation:01 666 5800

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Although I am all for vigilance and keeping neighbors in the loop, just wondering why you have called him a prowler and peeping Tom. (Do you think he is casing the neighborhood or is a threat to kids?) A genuine thanks for posting, but I wouldn't mind a bit more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭daveco23

Had the same thing before Christmas a guy stood right outside my door for 10 minutes, then when I opened it and asked him what he wanted he started speaking a load of gibberish. He looked to be mentally ill rather than anything suspect. Nevertheless, I called the guards as he then tried to gain access into the creche down the road. Last I saw of him was the guards were leading him away.
    Description is tall, short black hair, between 25-30, country accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭cuddydale

The guards managed to catch the guy and cautioned him. he said he was watching the sun come up... which the guard said he didn't believe for one second! my neighbour reported another incident just before lunchtime today, this time he was walking up and down the street to the front (acting very strangely) I don't know what he is doing or his motives but given he was cautioned and told to stay away and yet he appeared again within a few hours. Just make sure you lock your doors and report anything suspicious. I am not scaremongering.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭neets

Thanks for the tip off. That's really creepy. I'm just a few doors up from you but out during the day so haven't noticed anyone. Really don't like the thought of him at the crèche. Has anyone brought it to their attention?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

cuddydale wrote: »
    Yesterday morning at 08.25 a guy was standing on the waste ground behind the houses staring straight at my house (for 20 minutes).
    Were you getting dressed in front of the window again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

I will be getting dressed at 07:30 sharp, tomorrow, refreshments will be supplied, get there early to avoid the rush.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

Huntthe wrote: »
    I will be getting dressed at 07:30 sharp, tomorrow, refreshments will be supplied, get there early to avoid the rush.

are you Male or Female ? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Lusty_Lips

Just be careful hun. some weirdos out there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭FluffyCat

Well if this guy has some mental issues then addressing that may be more helpful than ringing the gardai. He is clearly not in his full state of mind and I feel sorry for him.
    I think talking to him or trying to find out where he lives may be useful. He could just be experiencing an eposide and needs medical help.

Indeed, who's going to volunteer to go and give the fruitcake a hug and a pep talk.....anyone......anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

FluffyCat wrote: »
    Well if this guy has some mental issues then addressing that may be more helpful than ringing the gardai. He is clearly not in his full state of mind and I feel sorry for him.
    I think talking to him or trying to find out where he lives may be useful. He could just be experiencing an eposide and needs medical help.
    Good to see theres some decent folk about.

Huntthe wrote: »
    Indeed, who's going to volunteer to go and give the fruitcake a hug and a pep talk.....anyone......anyone.

My God I hope you of you guys never suffer from mental problems because what am I reading here is disgraceful

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

My God I hope you of you guys never suffer from mental problems because what am I reading here is disgraceful
    Yes, there's also an element of personal safety involved, what if this person has issues and acts out when you try to speak to him.

The last public incident of a man with mental issues in charlesland involved a woman getting stabbed.

Personally folks I would seriously recommend not approaching said person for you own personal safety.

The Gardai are there for a reason, if they believe him to be mentally unfit it is their responsability to notify the correct authorities.

Fluffycat that is appalling advise which jepordises general public safety. Would you approach the same man in a dark alley and ask him what he's doing?

On another note, did anyone watch the program on stalkers last night?

There's a lot of speculation flying around here. The guy could have mental health issues, however equally he could be in the full of his health and up to no good. I ended up getting punched in the face in a similar situation because I decided to talk to the person. I wish I had phoned the guards now. I don't blame the OP for calling the guards. They deal with incidents like thus all the time and can make contact with the relevant people should he need help or deal with it if his behavior is threatening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 likewhine

On another note, did anyone watch the program on stalkers last night?[/QUOTE]
    yeah it was very creepy and scary that poor women! And majority of police not using the stalker checklists wonder how the guards would deal with that????

Yes, there's also an element of personal safety involved, what if this person has issues and acts out when you try to speak to him.

The last public incident of a man with mental issues in charlesland involved a woman getting stabbed.

Personally folks I would seriously recommend not approaching said person for you own personal safety.

The Gardai are there for a reason, if they believe him to be mentally unfit it is their responsability to notify the correct authorities.

Fluffycat that is appalling advise which jepordises general public safety. Would you approach the same man in a dark alley and ask him what he's doing?

Common sense at last.

Fluffy if you wish to endanger your own life approching stangers up to no-good that is your right, although I sincerely hope you won't. Suggesting someone else should do it is irresponsible.

You are calling this guy a weirdo and nutcase and fruitcase when you know nothing about him. Thats disgraceful. You all have said you haven't and wouldnt approach him so you cant and shouldnt label the guy

Fluffycat, this isn't a question of morality or what we call the guy, the issue you have raised is now one of personal safety.

He may or may not be a weirdo, nutcase or fruitcase, either which way he shouldn't be approached. If he is displaying such behaviour as described above he is better off being reported to the Gardai who are specifically trained to deal with such circumstances.

I hope that you're not silly enough to approach such a person and if you do, i would sincerly hope that you don't get assulted/raped/murdered!

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Timothy Bryce

Everyone would be a lot safer if they just stayed inside with the doors/windows bolted. Under no circumstances should a stanger be approached regardless of the situation.

Oh I quit!! The issue I was trying to point out was that nobody should label anyone without knowing full facts but that seems to have been lost in translation.

I walking away from this so Good Luck all:)

• Advertisement

You are calling this guy a weirdo and nutcase and fruitcase when you know nothing about him. Thats disgraceful. You all have said you haven't and wouldnt approach him so you cant and shouldnt label the guy

FluffyCat, as I said in my previous post, I did exactly what you are suggesting a few years ago and I was punched in the face for being a 'good Samaritan'. Can I also add that after punching me in the face he proceeded to drop onto all fours and bit my friend on the backside. She had to get a tetanus. Sounds funny now but it was no joke at the time. I think you are being very naive. Speaking from experience, I think calling the guards was the best option rather than playing the amateur psychotherapist.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

Has this guy done anything particularly wrong or against the law? So he stared at your house, maybe he did it for a laugh, maybe his mates dared him to, i don't know and neither do you so don't demonize someone because your paranoid.

Laisurg wrote: »
    Has this guy done anything particularly wrong or against the law? So he stared at your house, maybe he did it for a laugh, maybe his mates dared him to, i don't know and neither do you so don't demonize someone because your paranoid.

No paranoia, it's suspicious activity, which is why the gardai should be called. If someone feels uncomfortable with this sort if situation they shouldreport it.

If he's not doing anything wrong then no harm done.

Maybe he has a sexual fetish for buildings or maybe he's an artist or an architect gathering thought.

Either which way it's suspicious. What would u do if there was someone out on the street peering into your house for a decent amount of time?

Laisurg wrote: »

Every person should be considered a threat to our safety. I asked a man for the time at a bus stop in greystones recently and he struck me with an umbrella. nobody can be trusted out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭JayMul

At least when WW3 happens everybody will be dead and we won't have to worry about this anymore.

Good useful comment there, excellent contribution!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

and off trails another thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

Every person should be considered a threat to our safety. I asked a man for the time at a bus stop in greystones recently and he struck me with an umbrella. nobody can be trusted out there.

this is what happens when people are afraid. Imagine if guns were legal! People Should be aware that these incidents aren't actually that common but get a lot of press when they do happen. Everyone Should be vigilant and not think the world is an innocent friendly place but neither Should we All walk around assuming every stranger is a threat. (sorry about the random caps, Phone's mad)

I agree somewhat with what you’re saying – it’s not right to be scaremongering. I’m just saying that people need to vigilant of strangers. I was walking over to Pizza Hut recently and a man stopped me just outside shouting hysterically about a woman who he’d just seen who had 3 cats in her car (?) and how it was madness. He was very threatening and aggressive – he looked relatively normal (if there’s such a thing) but he could have been capable of producing a weapon and assaulting me if I had said the wrong thing. I mean, if he’s going to approach shout at a complete stranger (who’s minding his own business) about such banal things then surely I should worry about my safety when graced with his presence. I saw him later that evening smashing bottles out on the road.

If you stop and look around, incidents like this are all too common these days regardless of where you live. Even the most 'normal-looking' of people could be dangerous is what I'm saying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

what i meant was that the person with the umbrella was obviously viewing everybody as a threat and that's why you were assaulted. But it's as a result of this assault, you are a little more likely to react similarly. Possibly not to the extent of actually assaulting someone but maybe more on edge like the second person you encountered. I could be wrong but I'd say random acts of decency are far more prevalent than the mad/bad ones. On a slightly different but similar note, has anyone encountered or heard of a man posing as an esb service man calling to houses in charlesland, trying to gain entry. No i.d. But persistent. (i know I'm contradicting myself here!)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement