Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comhaltas student

Options
  • 20-01-2011 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

I'm in the process of doing an essay for college on the contribution of Comhaltas to Irish music and it's general history and functions.

For part of it I'm just gonna have a few individuals I know who play traditional instruments to give their own opinions on the organisation and that. What I'd also love is to have a student or past student of Comhaltas answer a few little questions too, just on their positive or negative opinions.

I don't listen a whole lot to trad music myself, so would anyone know if there are any current popular trad bands who would have any members that would have learned through a comhaltas course?

If I could get in touch with maybe a decent name on the trad scene connected with Comhaltas that would be incredible. Otherwise any students of comhaltas would be great to get in touch with.

Thank you in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Futurecrook

Most popular groups will have at least a few members who have been involved with comhaltas. Tom Doorly from Danu for example is a member of Comhaltas and still teaches for them. If you're looking for someone new, all the members of the band Ciorras (the one that was put together on the Lorg Lunny show on TG4) have been/are still very involved with Comhaltas. They've been involved as students, teachers, committee members and one of them is on the ard comhairle which is pretty much the governing body of Comhaltas.

I've been involved since I was ten. Started out going to lessons then started teaching for my branch instead and joined the committee to help run it. There are tonnes of people you could talk to and I could put you in touch with as many as you want really. Feel free to send me a PM about it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Another good site to maybe get some answers to yer questions would be The Session, just look it up in Google, register and join in on the discussions, or post a new one. Good luck.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Advertisement