Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cat5e points

Options
  • 20-01-2011 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭

anyone know the going rate for adding extra data points in a office
    theres space in coms cabinet runs are all under 30 meters and he looking for double outlet plates
    whats the per point price these days for cabling and punching

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭beanie10

€60 per point/ €120 per double + vat

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭dubsuperstar

Good guide price above but if you where getting more than a handful of points installed, look for a considerable discount. Its as easy to pull 4 cables to a location as it is to pull 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Randyleprechaun

Good guide price above but if you where getting more than a handful of points installed, look for a considerable discount. Its as easy to pull 4 cables to a location as it is to pull 8.

Yes, if you have 8 boxes of cat 5e!!!!! If not you'll have more than 1 pull

Come on man...thats amature stuff. Pull 8 x 30 mtr lenghts out of the one box then pull them all in. As I said.....''if you where getting more than a handful of points'' you would need more than 1 box of cable anyway;)

Come on man...thats amature stuff. Pull 8 x 30 mtr lenghts out of the one box then pull them all in. As I said.....''if you where getting more than a handful of points'' you would need more than 1 box of cable anyway;)

Fair enough, that was a bit amateur of me, but I doubt you would be offering any discount unless you are adding a quite large amount of points, i.e. you wouldn't price to do 10no and then offer discount to do 20no. You'd simply multiply by 2.

Now if you were asked to price 10no and then asked for discount to do 80no or 100no, that's a different story!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Come on man...thats amature stuff. Pull 8 x 30 mtr lenghts out of the one box then pull them all in.

Sure thats amateur stuff aswell.

Try installing 5000 Cat 6 points then,aswell as several kilometers of fibre and 50 pair multi core......all in 1 building..;)

paddy147 wrote: »

Try installing 5000 Cat 6 points then,aswell as several kilometers of fibre and 50 pair multi core......all in 1 building..;)

Nice one!!!!

Did a building once before(me & 1 other guy), about 3500 cat 5e points, we pulled them all, terminated them both ends and did all the testing. I never want to see another data point ever again...!!! LOL

Nice one!!!!

Did a building once before(me & 1 other guy), about 3500 cat 5e points, we pulled them all, terminated them both ends and did all the testing. I never want to see another data point ever again...!!! LOL

I enjoy it all,from comms room build,to laying cables,fibre and multi cores,to terminating,and final complettion and patching the hubs and switches.After all its my livelyhood.:)

110 cross connect frames are a bit of a pig to work on,unless you have very slim fingers.Multi punch is the best punch tool ever invented.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

Nice one!!!!

Only the two of ye, how long did that take.

Months I assure you.

That's why I don't ever want to see any of that stuff again!!!!

• Advertisement

Months I assure you.

That's why I don't ever want to see any of that stuff again!!!!

Suppose prob wouldnt be as bad if you where in a big crew

Not if youre only trying to achive a point count of 8 points.

If we are in the bussiness of biging up ourselves. The current project I am running, we have installed over 35,000 Cat6a points and 42,000 cores of OM3 fibre.
    All in one building;)

If we are in the bussiness of biging up ourselves. The current project I am running, we have installed over 35,000 Cat6a points and 42,000 cores of OM3 fibre.
    All in one building;)

OM3 fibre is that multi-mode ?

maxfresh wrote: »
    OM3 fibre is that multi-mode ?

Yes - it will allow you transmit 10Gb over a distance, which would vary a little depending on manufacturer of cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Well you can actually pull 8 runs from 4 boxes in one go. More practical from 8 of course alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

All in one building;)

I have 9 Cat6a points in my house, and I use them all, had to split one of them recently, my 10 port 100/1000 switch is maxed out too.

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Well you can actually pull 8 runs from 4 boxes in one go. More practical from 8 of course alright.

Pulling in looms of 48 cables in along trays can be fun and also a complete pain in the nutts,especially when using Systimax Cat6,as it really likes to kink and twist back up on itself the minute its pulled out of the box.

Its an absolute pig to work with and pull in a loom,if working overhead on cable tray or basket.:mad:

Have you worked with the new large drums of Cat 6 and also Cat10 yet?

Now they really are a stress tester indeed.:pac:

Pulling in looms of 48 cables in along trays can be fun and also a complete pain in the nutts,especially when using Systimax Cat6,as it really likes to kink and twist back up on itself the minute its pulled out of the box.

Its an absolute pig to work with and pull in a loom,if working overhead on cable tray or basket.:mad:

Cat 10 Paddy? Never heard of that, do you mean Cat6A 10gig? id like to think im fairly well up on my cable and industry standards, but have never seen or heard of Cat10. The biggest cable ive used in Cat7 FTP.

Cat 10 would be after my time:), as i have not been on a site in 4 or 5 years now i think.

Cat 10 Paddy? Never heard of that, do you mean Cat6A 10gig? id like to think im fairly well up on my cable and industry standards, but have never seen or heard of Cat10. The biggest cable ive used in Cat7 FTP.

No,Cat 10,quite a thick and bigger cable,when compared to Systimax cat 6.It was a one off special order job that we did for a large American financial transaction company in Blanchardstown,and they wanted that (future proofing).so thats what they got.Big ba5tard of a drum to work with and we had to install alot of it.

The frames for the comms room were even bespoke to take the volume of cables and the weight of them too.

This company had and have no problem in spending money like its going out of fashion.:D

• Advertisement

The last time i even used cat 5 was last year for the pc to tv, one for pic one for audio,

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Cat 10 would be after my time:), as i have not been on a site in 4 or 5 years now i think.

Used to love working with the old cat 3,so simple,small and easy to work with,but at the same time,so easy to catch and ripp off a sharp corner on a cable tray.:(

Those days are long gone though.

No,Cat 10,quite a thick and bigger cable,when compared to Systimax cat 6.It was a one off special order job that we did for a large American financial transaction company in Blanchardstown,and they wanted that.so thats what they got.Big ba5tard of a drum to work with and we had to install alot of it.

The frames for the comms room were even bespoke to take the volume of cables and the weight of them too.

This company had and have no problem in spending money like its going out of fashion.:D

Ahh very good, will have to do some research into that, do you know manufacturer of cable? What kind of speeds do they hope to acheive over this cable, surely cant be better than 10GB?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭liveandnetural

aaaagh lads don't be hijacking me thread talking about bygone tiger days of thousands on cats on trays and ladders...its all over

50 euros a point seems to be the going rate to run and punch down with a 50 minimum

on another note
    maybe i am wrong but why bother with cat6 most office jobs are more than happy with 5e

aaaagh lads don't be hijacking me thread talking about bygone tiger days of thousands on cats on trays and ladders...its all over

50 euros a point seems to be the going rate to run and punch down with a 50 minimum

on another note
    maybe i am wrong but why bother with cat6 most office jobs are more than happy with 5e

Systimax Cat6 gigaspeed has more twists in the pairs than Cat5e(especially orange pair) and can send more information faster and is less subject to interference and cross talk.You also must keep the twists in the pairs right up to the where the 4 pairs thread through the plastic jackets,and then these jackets are clipped into the back of the patch panel and then the pairs are punched down.You have to keep the twists in the pairs through the plastic jackets,otherwize Systimax will not pass or certify the work and instalation.You also cannot cross 1 pair over the other in the jacket or when terminating/punching down onto the back of the patch panel.

Same goes for the outlet/module end too.

Thats why.

on another note

Cat5e = 100mb and Cat6 = 1GB, thats the main difference.
    As you say most offices will quite happily work well with Cat5e and in fact intel and microsoft only uses Cat5e for all workstations.

Advertisement