Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Large Breed Trainer, South Kildare/Offaly/Laois

• 20-01-2011 2:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭

Hi guys
    My sister, about 5 weeks ago, got a St Bernard puppy Buddy. She is hoping to keep him as indoors and has been trying to train him herself. However it is a very busy house, 3 mad boys (10, 6.5, 3.5), mum and dad work full time, though dad has shifts, plus when he's not there my mum or brother babysit for her.
    The issue here is that the training isn't consistent and as such he isn't getting it. (Both behaviour and toilet training) Now what he does is cute, but in 6 months when he's the big beautiful monster he's meant to be, it won't be so cute. Example he got up on the kitchen table, she tried to get him down, he smacked her with his paw :-) He likes to jump up. I know funny now. In a smaller dog it wouldn't be such an issue but as he is going to be so large his behaviour has to be good or he will quickly become a nightmare, whether actual or perceived.
    So I said I'd ask here for recommendations for a good trainer that will not only train him but also them in how to treat him. It must be someone who uses positive reinforcement and does not insist the dog stays with them.
    Thanks a million.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I would recommend this lady in the Kildare area:

http://www.dogwise.ie/about.html

I really hope your sister realises exactly the type of dog shes has gotten and the size and strength of him too once he matures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Thanks Andrea. The breeder was very thorough. She had to visit a couple of times to meet the breed at all different sizes and ages, and they spent a lot of time ensuring my ssiter understood the ramifications of the decision.
    Hopefully training now will head off any issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

http://www.happierhoundsdogtraining.com/

Alison is just outside of Abbeyleix and comes highly recommended.

Advertisement