Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Synthetic Diamonds

• 20-01-2011 3:02pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Inspired by the engagement ring thread.

Synthetic diamonds are better ( fewer flaws) than natural diamonds as far as I'm aware and are also cheaper yet people still don't by them.

If I ever want to buy diamonds I will buy synthetic ones.

So what's up with all the people buying natural diamonds, are they a bit slow?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,983 ✭✭✭Degag

Synthetic diamonds are better ( fewer flaws) than natural diamonds as far as I'm aware and are also cheaper yet people still don't by them.

Because if the wimmins ever found out, there would be war.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

The real value of Diamond is it's not abundant in supply

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

having a wank is easier and quicker than going out and finding someone who is willing to have sex with you but in no way is it better. the real thing always wins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

a good diamond is like a good women.

Very Rare

Very Beautiful(naturally)

and

Very expensive

If you had loads of plastic synthetic ones you could not appreciate there beauty or would end up with a kerry katonia or Katie price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

Do me a favour, if you are a man and about to propose, try out a synthetic diamond in a ring. Let me know how that works out for you!

• Advertisement

Very Rare

and

Very expensive

If you had loads of plastic synthetic ones you could not appreciate there beauty or would end up with a kerry katonia or Katie price.

They're not plastic, they're all compressed carbon

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Very Rare

and

Very expensive

The only way to tell the difference between synthetic ones and natural ones is that a synthetic one is more than likely too perfect to be a natural one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I remember watching a great way to make'em on mythbusters once.

it involved a lot of Dynamite...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

I thought synthetic diamonds were more expensive and only made for industrial applications?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

red menace wrote: »
    The real value of Diamond is whatever DeBeers decides it is
    FYP Diamonds, except for exceptional(and usually strongly coloured) ones weren't particularly valued before about 100 years ago(rubys, emeralds and sapphires held much more cache. Rubies are still more valued carat for carat than diamonds). Then the hype grew around them. It's all about advertising and keeping deBeers and their cronies in the supply chain in business. It really is one of those conspiracies that's actually true. :D

They rigidly control the supply. Diamonds are not that rare. Much of this talk of "blood diamonds" is more about them controlling the supply and keeping the price up, than any humanitarian concern. I wouldnt be looking to closely at their official diamond mines on that score. I dont see the locals actually digging them out getting rich.

TBH I always found them bloodless weak looking yokes.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Very Rare

and

Very expensive

Synthetic diamonds are identical to the real thing except fewer flaws. They're so good they have to be etched microscopically. Moreover, diamonds aren't rare it's just for years DeBeers created false demand by controlling the market.

What's hilarious about diamonds is they're only expensive because it's what we expect. If diamonds were cheap (which is perfectly possible) no one would want one.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Kryptonite engagement ring or GTFO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

phill106 wrote: »
    Do me a favour, if you are a man and about to propose, try out a synthetic diamond in a ring. Let me know how that works out for you!

i guarantee you, you or your the moth that you were giving it to couldnt tell the dam difference. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

They are a bit dull when you think about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

From wikipedia:
    Gem-quality diamonds grown in a lab can be chemically, physically and optically identical to naturally occurring ones, although they can be distinguished by spectroscopy in infrared, ultraviolet, or X-ray wavelengths. The DiamondView tester from De Beers uses UV fluorescence to detect trace impurities of nitrogen, nickel or other metals in HPHT or CVD diamonds.[88]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Wibbs wrote: »
    FYP Diamonds, except for exceptional(and usually strongly coloured) ones weren't particularly valued before about 100 years ago(rubys, emeralds and sapphires held much more cache. Rubies are still more valued carat for carat than diamonds). Then the hype grew around them. It's all about advertising and keeping deBeers and their cronies in the supply chain in business. It really is one of those conspiracies that's actually true. :D

They rigidly control the supply. Diamonds are not that rare. Much of this talk of "blood diamonds" is more about them controlling the supply and keeping the price up, than any humanitarian concern. I wouldnt be looking to closely at their official diamond mines on that score. I dont see the locals actually digging them out getting rich.

TBH I always found them bloodless weak looking yokes.

1948, that was the year De Deers started the "Diamonds are forever", but the Ad Agency basically paraphrased it from the book "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes".

Basically the whole diamond ring being demanded for an engagement ring is a sign of exactly how gullible society is the impact a strong advertising campaign can have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

jaysus, learn something new everyday.

Still I imagine bringing this up to a random everyday women who likes jewellery would result in them scoffing at you for being a killjoy nerd and proceeding to continue the love for wrongly expensive rocks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Nothing is more cultured than a synthetic diamond :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭Guill

I want a rock that some guy has broke his back to get out of the ground, i want it to have at least the blood of 7 people on it and i always like to know how little the labourers got paid to do this work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Where is the information that synthetic diamonds with equivalent properties are cost-effective compared to their natural counterparts?

I googled briefly but got nothing other than a bunch of coloured yokes that look pretty nasty.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Lumen wrote: »
    Where is the information that synthetic diamonds with equivalent properties are cost-effective compared to their natural counterparts?

I googled briefly but got nothing other than a bunch of coloured yokes that look pretty nasty.

google shows they sell at 30-50% lower and as for thoe coloured ones, saw one for 23 grand and the synthetic was 7

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

google shows they sell at 30-50% lower and as for thoe coloured ones, saw one for 23 grand and the synthetic was 7

think they meant manufacturing costs :-P

think they meant manufacturing costs :-P

Well it costs like a billion to make a mine so...

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Its one of those things I have never understood. We can't make Gold, so I get why thats valuable to a certain degree, but we can make diamonds, so the whole rarity things goes out the Window right away.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Crucifix wrote: »
    From wikipedia:
    Yea and you'll note the name of the monopoly company on the "fake" detector.

Very Rare

and

Very expensive

Naw I'd say diamonds are like tarted up dangerously blonde dolly birds. Its all about the lighting, they're not rare, they're way overpriced for what you end up with and you really dont wanna see one in the rough.
    phill106 wrote: »
    90% of women(or men) wouldnt have a clue about the difference. Saying a diamond is the highest quality gem is like saying a Tag Heuer is the highest quality watch. Its all about advertising. I can pretty much guarantee that if you gave the vast majority of people a rhinestone ring they'll not spot it, never mind a synthetic diamond. In any event if I did get engaged and the woman in question turned down say a ruby ring because "diamonds are forever" or some bs, I'd scrape her off as a moron TBH.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

90% of women(or men) wouldnt have a clue about the difference..

Same goes for most real diamonds, barring say a significant size difference in the stone itself.

The up-selling that goes on in jewellers and the amount of people who fall for it is astonishing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Does that eliminate the whole "blood diamond" thing? Is there any mining involved like?

I've always had a bit of an ethical issue with diamonds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

This thread reminds me of a story called The Diamond Maker by H.G. Wells

A fella decides to make diamonds by putting coal and dynamite in a sealed tube and firing it into a furnace. Great read though if you have time :)

bluewolf wrote: »
    They're not plastic, they're all compressed carbon
    The only way to tell the difference between synthetic ones and natural ones is that a synthetic one is more than likely too perfect to be a natural one.
    I remember watching a great way to make'em on mythbusters once.

it involved a lot of Dynamite...
    Synthetic diamonds are identical to the real thing except fewer flaws. They're so good they have to be etched microscopically. Moreover, diamonds aren't rare it's just for years DeBeers created false demand by controlling the market.

What's hilarious about diamonds is they're only expensive because it's what we expect. If diamonds were cheap (which is perfectly possible) no one would want one.
    Yea and you'll note the name of the monopoly company on the "fake" detector.

Naw I'd say diamonds are like tarted up dangerously blonde dolly birds. Its all about the lighting, they're not rare, they're way overpriced for what you end up with and you really dont wanna see one in the rough.

90% of women(or men) wouldnt have a clue about the difference. Saying a diamond is the highest quality gem is like saying a Tag Heuer is the highest quality watch. Its all about advertising. I can pretty much guarantee that if you gave the vast majority of people a rhinestone ring they'll not spot it, never mind a synthetic diamond. In any event if I did get engaged and the woman in question turned down say a ruby ring because "diamonds are forever" or some bs, I'd scrape her off as a moron TBH.

Jesus folks. 5 replies to one innocent quote.

Yes diamonds like people are carbon not plastic. Sorry,

They are rare though and will always be,

My quote was a joke to there beauty but hay

give me a cubic zirconian anyday..... Its cheaper on the wallet and hard to tell the difference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

Read that HG Wells story and agree it's very good. With regards the synthetic diamond, tbh I'd rather have one of those, if they're as nice as the real thing and half the price why wouldn't I? TBH though I really like saphires or emeralds, doesn't seem to be fashionable at the moment though so they're more pricey.

Excluding coloured ones, because that's just turning a bug into a feature.

Most of the opinions on this thread are based on the "fact" that it's possible to make a diamond that looks natural (or better) for less money.

Where can I buy a synthetic, colourless, round cut diamond of (say) 1 carat, and for how much?

Honestly, I'd like to know.

edit: apparently the answer is diamond-coated cubic zirconia. Cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

Or just watch Blood Diamond and she mightn't even want a real diamond then

Excluding coloured ones, because that's just turning a bug into a feature.

Most of the opinions on this thread are based on the "fact" that it's possible to make a diamond that looks natural (or better) for less money.

Where can I buy a synthetic, colourless, round cut diamond of (say) 1 carat, and for how much?

Honestly, I'd like to know.

edit: apparently the answer is diamond-coated cubic zirconia. Cool.

This is the only one I know of off hand, though they sell it as a finished product
    http://www.apollodiamond.com/

They are rare though and will always be,

Not really

they are not rare, supply exceeds demand :p
    diamonds are stockpiled and sold in small amounts to keep prices up arent' they

there is a diamond star discovered not too far off that is 10 billion trillion trillion carats heh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Also, if they run out, they can make more :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

wes wrote: »
    Its one of those things I have never understood. We can't make Gold, so I get why thats valuable to a certain degree, but we can make diamonds, so the whole rarity things goes out the Window right away.

Well we can. It's just in no way cost effective. Point still stands though.

This is the only one I know of off hand, though they sell it as a finished product
    http://www.apollodiamond.com/

Cool, more specifically...

https://www.shopapollo.com/orderonline_6.html

About $1000. With natural diamonds of similar spec might cost $1600.

They don't list anything over about 1/3 ct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

strobe wrote: »
    Well we can. It's just in no way cost effective. Point still stands though.
    The base metal for that process is Mercury isn't it? I may be wrong...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

A Cartel controls diamond value, their rareness is artificial.

you're being taken for a ride.

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    Not really
    Exactly. Diamonds overall are actually quite common as a gemstone. http://www.diamondcuttersintl.com/myths-about-diamonds-1/ read number 2 myth. It puts their "rarity" in proportion. For the moby users "There are really enough diamonds to give each man, woman and child in the United States a whole cupful.".

A large coloured stone with few imperfections is rare, yet deBeers tells us colourless is the way to go. Of course as its the more common. Find a red diamond and name your price. The vast majority sold are half and one carat glassy yokes that as far as nature is concerned are two a penny. The world production of gem quality annually is 12 tonnes. That's 12 tonnes of the yokes a year. They're about as rare as farts in a vegan household. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Exactly. Diamonds overall are actually quite common as a gemstone. http://www.diamondcuttersintl.com/myths-about-diamonds-1/ read number 2 myth. It puts their "rarity" in proportion. For the moby users "There are really enough diamonds to give each man, woman and child in the United States a whole cupful.".

A large coloured stone with few imperfections is rare, yet deBeers tells us colourless is the way to go. Of course as its the more common. Find a red diamond and name your price. The vast majority sold are half and one carat glassy yokes that as far as nature is concerned are two a penny. The world production of gem quality annually is 12 tonnes. That's 12 tonnes of the yokes a year. They're about as rare as farts in a vegan household. :D
    12 tonnes isn't a whole lot for worldwide production. Almost 2600 tonnes of Gold is mined per year in comparison.

Cool, more specifically...

https://www.shopapollo.com/orderonline_6.html

About $1000. With natural diamonds of similar spec might cost $1600.

They don't list anything over about 1/3 ct.

oh there is some gemisis or something similar as well. Wonder how many places make them and how artificially high the prices are

Yea true, but you're not paying a 500 quid for a carat of gold either.

Yea true, but you're not paying a 500 quid for a carat of gold either.

Much more than 500 isnt it! But anyway yeah, also although pretty I can't fathom why people want them so much. As the DeBeers man said, intrinsically thy have no value, they only fill a psychological void.

As the DeBeers man said, intrinsically thy have no value, they only fill a psychological void.
    yep as created by the same debeers man.

Well now. I am truly facenated... Never really thought about it till now...but truly facenated..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭starlit

There is such a thing as tarnishing so thats why people would rather buy good quality rings/good quality diamonds for that reason to avoid tarnishing and the likes. Is it not a nice thing for something to last for eternity?

There is such a thing as tarnishing so thats why people would rather buy good quality rings/good quality diamonds for that reason to avoid tarnishing and the likes. Is it not a nice thing for something to last for eternity?

That's why you should buy synthetic, better quality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

My girlfriend makes them :)

Synthetic diamonds are all but indistinguishable from real ones.
    However they are not allowed be used in the jewellery business cos companies like De Beers enjoy their cartel too much. 90%+ of the world's supply of real diamonds are locked away (mostly in Holland) in order to keep the price artificially high, just cos women like shiny things.
    One of the great all time scams.

Real and fake diamonds can also be coloured (or decoloured) to most colours using a variant of the manufacturing process. There is however a risk of totalling messing it up and turning the diamond an even worse shade of the colour if its not done perfectly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement