Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Synthetic Diamonds

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

There is such a thing as tarnishing so thats why people would rather buy good quality rings/good quality diamonds for that reason to avoid tarnishing and the likes. Is it not a nice thing for something to last for eternity?

If they were a good investment, yes, but diamonds are not a good investment, at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

To hell with diamonds. Buy that bitch a neutron star.. bitches love neutron stars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

FatherLen wrote: »
    having a wank is easier and quicker than going out and finding someone who is willing to have sex with you but in no way is it better. the real thing always wins
    :D LUL, I thought people would be giving you the thumbs up big time for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

phill106 wrote: »
    Do me a favour, if you are a man and about to propose, try out a synthetic diamond in a ring. Let me know how that works out for you!

If you're that afraid of her, maybe you shouldn't marry her?

The base metal for that process is Mercury isn't it? I may be wrong...
    Platinum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Wibbs wrote: »
    The world production of gem quality annually is 12 tonnes.

I make that about 2 milligrams per capita. Putting aside all the other reasonable points about cartels, and ignoring production scalability, that's not exactly a vast amount.

One carat is 200 milligrams. It would therefore take 50 years of production to give every woman on earth a one carat stone, even assuming the 12 tonnes was composed entirely of one carat stones.

"Diamonds are forever" kind of screws with the long term viability of the business model.

DeBeers will have to branch out into LOX.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Nevermind_

Saw an interesting documentary on discovery about "super diamonds"

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/series/naked-science/3896/Overview

Basically if the methods to manufacture synthetic diamonds continue to develop at the pace scientists believe they will, diamonds will become used in the manufacture of thousands of everyday items.

The idea that your smartphone may actually be made of superdiamond is not beyond the realms of possibility.

Silicon chips automatically shut off when they are heated beyond a certain temperature. Super Diamonds, on the other hand, are not affected by heat. Computers will be able to operate more quickly and under more severe conditions. All mobile phones and hand-held devices will become faster, stronger, and cheaper because of this innovation.

http://www.prlog.org/10537242-scientists-create-super-diamonds.html

http://www.jamesallen.com/news/DiamondIndustry/super-diamonds-grown-in-days-february-18-2010.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Lumen wrote: »
    I make that about 2 milligrams per capita. Putting aside all the other reasonable points about cartels, and ignoring production scalability, that's not exactly a vast amount.

One carat is 200 milligrams. It would therefore take 50 years of production to give every woman on earth a one carat stone, even assuming the 12 tonnes was composed entirely of one carat stones.

"Diamonds are forever" kind of screws with the long term viability of the business model.

DeBeers will have to branch out into LOX.

95% of the earths population cannot afford them, can barley feed themselves and their children, probably more.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

To hell with diamonds. Buy that bitch a neutron star.. bitches love neutron stars

Buy me one of these neutron stars and I'll be your bitch!

If I was given a synthetic diamond ring, I don't think I'd be bothered... I'd probably be more fascinated with how it was made, to be honest. Also less money on overpriced jewellery means more money for other things, like amazing holidays! Then again I'm not too pushed about the whole marriage thing in the first place

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

There is such a thing as tarnishing so thats why people would rather buy good quality rings/good quality diamonds for that reason to avoid tarnishing and the likes. Is it not a nice thing for something to last for eternity?
    I'd put good money you have silver jewelry and that shít tarnishes if you look at it sideways(the good stuff does anyway). Of course the trend towards silver was also an industry led thing. Gold was too expensive so people bought a few pieces of quality stuff in their lives. Making silver more fash opened up the market. I don't mind high quality/content silver TBH. Can look good. White gold I really dont see the point though. Platinum at the mad money it is? Hell make it outa high grade stainless steel and be done with it. Same effect and more robust.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Fishie wrote: »

If I was given a synthetic diamond ring, I don't think I'd be bothered... I'd probably be more fascinated with how it was made, to be honest. Also less money on overpriced jewellery means more money for other things, like amazing holidays! Then again I'm not too pushed about the whole marriage thing in the first place
    Marry me now. I got this ring in an xmas cracker. The highest quality plastique it is. Collapsed star to follow.... :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Travel to poor African nation of choice, kill local, cremate them and have the ashes turned into a diamond. Best of both worlds.

I'd put good money you have silver jewelry and that shít tarnishes if you look at it sideways(the good stuff does anyway). Of course the trend towards silver was also an industry led thing. Gold was too expensive so people bought a few pieces of quality stuff in their lives. Making silver more fash opened up the market. I don't mind high quality/content silver TBH. Can look good. White gold I really dont see the point though. Platinum at the mad money it is? Hell make it outa high grade stainless steel and be done with it. Same effect and more robust.

I have to admit I love white gold :) It does look different to silver and I love the look of it.
    Rose gold and yellow gold though, that stuff you can keep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

RichieC wrote: »
    95% of the earths population cannot afford them, can barley feed themselves and their children, probably more.

Barley? Wheat you talkin' bout Willis?

bluewolf wrote: »
    I have to admit I love white gold :) It does look different to silver and I love the look of it.
    Rose gold and yellow gold though, that stuff you can keep
    Funny I'd be the opposite. :) Though I agree you can tell white gold from silver and ditto for platinum. Silver to my eyes has a grey undertone with some brown thrown in. White gold is more "silver" and platinum is much more silver with blue undertones, though the latter doesnt look too far off high polish stainless steel. My eyes are fecked though so....

• Advertisement

Funny I'd be the opposite. :) Though I agree you can tell white gold from silver and ditto for platinum. Silver to my eyes has a grey undertone with some brown thrown in. White gold is more "silver" and platinum is much more silver with blue undertones, though the latter doesnt look too far off high polish stainless steel. My eyes are fecked though so....

Are you walking around with a jeweller's glass in your eye :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Diamond Rings are classic examples of Veblen Goods, in that the appeal increases the greater the price is. The idea that having a more expensive ring somehow confers social status among women.

If I was intending propose and marry someone who had an unhealthy pre-occupation with the ring and specifically how much it should cost, I would seriously have to consider having her as a life partner.

Just my 2c

foxyboxer wrote: »
    Diamond Rings are classic examples of Veblen Goods, in that the appeal increases the greater the price is. The idea that having a more expensive ring somehow confers social status among women.

If I was intending propose and marry someone who had an unhealthy pre-occupation with the ring and specifically how much it should cost, I would seriously have to consider having her as a life partner.
    Just my 2c

Are you sure about that :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Yes most of my jewellery is silver. Some gold. I like both but prefer silver. It doesn't look as cheap and is easy on the eye. You can wear a lot of silver and wouldn't look cheap but wearing a lot of gold might. Combining a bit of silver and gold isn't too bad. A little bit of it is always more when it comes to accessories like that when going out and about.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭bowsie010

Why stop at synthetic diamonds? How about the simulated pearl? Or the created ruby?

All admirable stones in their own way I find.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Fishie wrote: »
    Done.

You can collect it anytime next week.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The base metal for that process is Mercury isn't it? I may be wrong...
    Mercury 198 + 6.8MeV gamma ray \to 1 neutron + Mercury 197 (half-life 2.7 days \to Gold 197 + 1 positron)
    goose2005 wrote: »
    Platinum.
    LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Mercury 198 + 6.8MeV gamma ray \to 1 neutron + Mercury 197 (half-life 2.7 days \to Gold 197 + 1 positron)

LOL

omg, its 6.9MeV gamma ray

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

diamonds wouldn't be expensive if we didn't value them so much - we only value them because their shiny

give a synthetic diamond to any girl and unless she works in a jewellers or something I'd put any amount of money on it she'd never know the difference (or for that matter pick out an inperfection:rolleyes: in a normal one)

diamonds shouldn't be expensive but they are because we think we have too spend so much on them for wedding and engagement rings - the number of people saying that you have to spend a months wages on a wedding ring just shows where diamonds get their value from..

diamond is a brilliant substance - hardest known substance know to man and all that - if it wasn't shiny though it'd only cost a fraction of the price and I doubt there'd even be a market for synthetic diamonds...

personally I'd buy a synthetic diamond any day of the week and present it to anyone as a real one but can you imagine the trouble you'd get into when the woman finds out somehow that it's a "fake" diamond (and of course there'll be no telling her that it's actually better than a real one)

and then you have collectors and valuers and the likes who of course are going to say that a natural one is better because it is and i'm so posh I'm going to go out and spend 1000000000 euro on this diamond because it is the purest diamond ever found (and once again no telling them that the one your holding is synthetic and is even purer and has less imperfections again)

once you get in the market for expensive goods like these sense doesn't come into it

just like why anyone would have to spend 1000 euro on a handbag by gucci when you can get one that looks almost identical in penny's for a tenner..

they rich and powerful tell you that you need the luxury item and must pay so much money for it and we listen because we want to be rich and powerful and we think by following and listening like sheep we'll somehow be happier with our luxury items because we spent so much money on them

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

even jewellers cant tell the difference, they are essentially real. i'd never want to buy a mined one anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

John Logie Barid onetime attmpted to produce an artificial diamond by embedding two copper rods and a piece of coal in concrete and connecting it across the main electricity supply line for Glasgow :eek:
    RichieC wrote: »
    A Cartel controls diamond value, their rareness is artificial.

Just like the housing market

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    ..but can you imagine the trouble you'd get into when the woman finds out somehow that it's a "fake" diamond

If she doesn't have any spectrometers I wouldn't worry about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭iguana

However they are not allowed be used in the jewellery business cos companies like De Beers enjoy their cartel too much.

The company I bought my wedding rings from sells synthetic diamond jewellery. If I'd wanted an engagement ring I'd have gotten it from there. And they have a synthetic emerald ring that I have my eye on as treat for myself if I ever make 5 figures from my writing.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Crucifix wrote: »
    If she doesn't have any spectrometers I wouldn't worry about it

a drunken slip of the tongue either ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

even jewellers cant tell the difference, they are essentially real. i'd never want to buy a mined one anyway.

the chemical & physical properties are near impossible to tell the difference, however there is one very easy way to tell the difference. Synthetic ones are much smaller, like grains of sand :D Since they only end up coating cutting tools, generally, there's no need to go to the greater expense and time of making them any larger.

There's a vial of them sitting on the shelf here somewhere ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

Only if she isn't a chemist :)

I don't want a big old carbon ring, if i did i'd get a pencil for my engagement ring!!!

Gimme a rare stone any day!

tatabubbly wrote: »

Eh? What do you think the "rare" stone is made of?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

tatabubbly wrote: »

How about some Jadeite?

http://listverse.com/2007/12/02/top-10-rarest-gems/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    John Logie Barid onetime attmpted to produce an artificial diamond by embedding two copper rods and a piece of coal in concrete and connecting it across the main electricity supply line for Glasgow
    You just don't get that level of mad scientist anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Guill wrote: »
    I want a rock that some guy has broke his back to get out of the ground, i want it to have at least the blood of 7 people on it and i always like to know how little the labourers got paid to do this work.
    Maybe you can get a certificate to say the workers in the synthetic factory are on minimum wage, work in cold conditions, and have no safety features in place so on average 2 guys die every week, if there are no accidents they sacrifice one just to make the stone feel a little bit more "special".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,422 ✭✭✭positron

Couple of years back, when I was looking to buy an engagement ring - I first bought the 'Blood Diamonds' DVD and watched it with her. That reaffirmed her dislike for diamonds & DeBeers. A while later, while on transit in Dubai, we went ring shopping and she picked a beautiful sapphire stone mounted on a lovely platinum ring, which worked out around 800 euro, (a lot of that is cost of platinum), and she's been getting compliments on it ever since.

Seriously, everyone should read/watch "Blood Diamond" before they spend a penny on these supposedly rare stones!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

the chemical & physical properties are near impossible to tell the difference, however there is one very easy way to tell the difference. Synthetic ones are much smaller, like grains of sand :D Since they only end up coating cutting tools, generally, there's no need to go to the greater expense and time of making them any larger.

There's a vial of them sitting on the shelf here somewhere ;)

ah but that is changing, they are making them larger and selling them for cheaper than real diamonds. I imagine they could sell them for really cheap but are not stupid and don't want to flood the market with them, which would ruin their business.

Natural diamonds have flaws, but artificial ones are perfect

and somehow wiminz are supposed to want the flawed ones

marketing genius

Is fruit grown in a greenhouse synthetic fruit? (although not quite the same thing) I don't see why there is much discussion on them terms and how they were made, should just be the cost and perhaps the better quality of the synthetic variety.

• Advertisement

Is fruit grown in a greenhouse synthetic fruit? (although not quite the same thing) I don't see why there is much discussion on them terms and how they were made, should just be the cost and perhaps the better quality of the synthetic variety.

Not the best analogy, tbf. Hothoused fruit rarely tastes a fraction as good as that which grows seasonally in it's natural environment.

Shop bought blackberries; blandness defined.
    Blackberries picked from the riverbank in late summer; amazing mouth orgasms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

That'll do for me thanks!!!!

I don't want something everyone else has, i want my ring to be unique..

iguana wrote: »
    Not the best analogy, tbf. Hothoused fruit rarely tastes a fraction as good as that which grows seasonally in it's natural environment.

Shop bought blackberries; blandness defined.
    Blackberries picked from the riverbank in late summer; amazing mouth orgasms.
    95% magical/wishful thinking. I'd put good money you(or most of anyone else) couldn't tell the diff.

95% magical/wishful thinking. I'd put good money you(or most of anyone else) couldn't tell the diff.

On the blackberries? Seriously, any blackberry I've ever bought tastes awful. I don't know why but they taste of nothing. But every time I eat the ones I pluck wild I literally cry out at the taste. If I ate bought blackberries in a blind taste taste I wouldn't guess they were the same fruit, they have nothing but looks in common with the wild fruit.

I'd be shocked if anyone couldn't tell the difference, that said, I'm a supertaster, and a fairly strong one, so I'm often surprised by what people can't taste.

My mam has bought some synthetic diamond jewellery from QVC over the years and loved it. She says she can't tell the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Are synthetic diamonds also called simulated diamonds?
    Just checking ebay here and the simulated diamonds show up as being cubic zirconia. These are different than proper synthetic/ simulated right?
    Confusing. I'm looking for lab made carbon copies of diamonds (pardon the pun).
    Also, anyone got any links to good sites selling them?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'd prefer a synthetic diamond, though I don't like rings with stones in general (prefer band rings).

If a guy went out and spent 2 months wages on a ring for me I'd probably refuse to marry him on the grounds that he's needlessly profligate. I mean; you'd get a new kitchen for the price of an engagement ring, and a kitchen's a hell of a lot more useful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

kylith wrote: »
    If a guy went out and spent 2 months wages on a ring for me I'd probably refuse to marry him on the grounds that he's needlessly profligate. I mean; you'd get a new kitchen for the price of an engagement ring, and a kitchen's a hell of a lot more useful.

I'd also rather a new kitchen.

Though if a guy did present me with an engagement ring out of nowhere I'd probably be too delighted to worry about the stone's provenance!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

My engagement ring has real diamonds and is worth thousands.
    My wedding ring has small synthetic diamonds and is worth very little (about 300/400)

I love my engagement ring more than anything, because it was my mothers, and also due to it's unusual shape.

Couldn't give a fiddlers about real v fake diamonds or monetary value though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

i actually had a chat with my GF about this one drunken night (i am a fairly political guy and i'm wary about diamonds and their trade funding wars) and she seemed to kinda agree, so either synthetic or an old ring from an antique(Sp) shop. although that'd be weird knowing someone elses finger was in your fiances ring

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Aurum

I suppose the primary reason people prefer natural diamonds is because they are rarer. Even though diamonds are currently stockpiled there is definitely a finite supply. Some people also like the fact that they are wearing something that has taken billions of years to form, and to develop into its current sparkly state. They will also hold their re-sale value better than synthetics (though diamonds that aren't purchased at cost value probably aren't the best investment choice.) I suppose its comparable to owning a very good copy of a Cezanne, and an actual Cezanne. Aesthetically, the differences may be minuscule, they're equally decorative, but one is the real thing and the other isn't. And you know that it isn't.

• Advertisement
Advertisement