Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting into development

Options
  • 20-01-2011 3:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

Am looking for some advice from you kind folks
    I have worked in Software Test for several years
    I want to get into development, particulary from a Web Design/java dev focus. dont have any coding experience except some HTML/XML
    I was told that w3schools is a good place to start and was wondering if ye guys had any more recomendations, and maybe books I could use ?
    Ultimately I want to get into Java development so any advice here would also be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭namelessguy

Hi Guys

Am looking for some advice from you kind folks
    I have worked in Software Test for several years
    I want to get into development, particulary from a Web Design/java dev focus. dont have any coding experience except some HTML/XML
    I was told that w3schools is a good place to start and was wondering if ye guys had any more recomendations, and maybe books I could use ?
    Ultimately I want to get into Java development so any advice here would also be appreciated

The Sun website may be a good place to start. They also run courses and online exams which would get you certified. Maybe back to college part-time?

I should also point out I work in Ops and not Development but I'm in a similar position and went the Sun route before getting the current job and after 3+ years here am now doing a part-time course aimed at development.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

The Sun website may be a good place to start. They also run courses and online exams which would get you certified. Maybe back to college part-time?

I should also point out I work in Ops and not Development but I'm in a similar position and went the Sun route before getting the current job and after 3+ years here am now doing a part-time course aimed at development.

Thanks for taking the time to reply , I will check it out

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭namelessguy

No problem, there's also alot of stuff on iTunes University.

I've recently downloaded Programming Methodology. They taped an introductory module on software engineering / programming in Stanford university. It uses Java.

Advertisement