Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

50th Birthday - What Cake to Make??

Options
  • 20-01-2011 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭

I've to make a cake for my boyfriends mothers 50th this weekend and really havent a clue what to make!

She doesnt like chocolate cakes or anything to heavy, so that rules out my specialties of terrys or mint chocolate cheesecakes!

I know she likes vanilla slices and eclairs and those kind of cakes, but my pastry skills wouldnt be the best to be honest,

Anybody got any ideas of what I could make??

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

If you have a swiss roll tin, bake three layers using a simple genoese sponge.

Let cool, square them off, then make a simple syrup with equal parts sugar to water, and some spirits if you like. Brush onto the first layer, then spread on a thin layer of a berry jam. Spread with a thin layer of whipped cream, then cover with mixed berries: strawberries, raspberries, etc. Cover the berries with whipped cream, and repeat for one more layer. Dust the top with icing sugar and decorate with more whole berries at one corner.

The idea is that it's similar to a vanilla slice, so it should appeal to her tastes.

Advertisement