Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More Mobile Broadband Fantasy

Options
  • 20-01-2011 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭

Seanad Adjournment Debate last week

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/seanad/2011/01/13/00009.asp
    Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources (Deputy Eamon Ryan):
    I am glad to be present to reply to this matter. I may not have all the details the Senator seeks, but it is right and proper of her to inquire on behalf of her constituents on the Inishowen Peninsula and raise the wider policy issue, on which she has been a strong leader, particularly in regard to the integration of communications systems, North and South. She has been right to persist in this regard. I regret that I was unable to come to the House sooner to discuss the matter with her.

The Government’s stated policy objective is to achieve the closure of the analogue terrestrial television network by the fourth quarter of 2012. This means the smooth transfer from analogue to digital will be achieved by 2012. The closure of analogue television networks is happening on a worldwide basis. The deadline is mid-2015 but Europe has set 2012 as the deadline for the switch-off of analogue systems. We have to and will meet that deadline.

The closure of the analogue television network will free up spectrum to develop new business initiatives. It is anticipated that the lease of this spectrum could be worth in excess of €2 billion to Ireland and in these difficult economic times the Government wishes to ensure Ireland reaps the rewards of this spectrum at the earliest opportunity.

Is he mad? €2Billion? Comreg's grossly over inflated value is €150M

Real universal Fibre is worth a lot more than €2M to the economy and would cost about the same as Mobile LTE rollout at 800MHz, €1.5B

The cost of doing "proper" Mobile 4G / LTE nationwide is about €1.5B, but it's not the worth. Most of the equipment is made overseas. Most of any profit goes overseas and the value to the Economy generally over existing 3G/HSPA is minimal as it's not going to be Broadband.

Senator Cecilia Keaveney: I thank the Minister for his detailed reply.
    He didn't actually answer your question though.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭clohamon

It is anticipated that the lease of this spectrum could be worth in excess of €2 billion to Ireland

I suppose if you add together all the revenues of the MNOs and content providers unto eternity it comes to a big number, so why not €2bn or €20Bn or €200Bn; the forecast is so vague and qualified it doesn't really matter.

She was right to ask about the switchover though, the pair of them will be watching a lot more TV soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I'd already been told that Moville will have DTT/Saorview.

Well, not long to go now. I hope the New crowd ban Mobile from being called Broadband and rename NBS the NIS

Ryan no longer Minister for String and Bean cans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

watty wrote: »
    Ryan no longer Minister for String and Bean cans.

We've never had a minister for communications in this last government.
    Hopefully we get a minister that has a clue in the next one...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

watty wrote: »
    I'd already been told that Moville will have DTT/Saorview.

Well, not long to go now. I hope the New crowd ban Mobile from being called Broadband and rename NBS the NIS

Hey watty, you seem to be reliably informed regarding Moville. What will be happening with some of the other relays in Inishowen? I.e. Malin and Clonmany, the next biggest two?

• Advertisement

This has all I know:
    http://www.techtir.ie/tv-radio/Irish-DTT-Sites

Sponge Bob may or may not know more.

Advertisement