Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Out to Pfizer in Shanbally?

Options
  • 20-01-2011 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

Hi, Ill be getting a bus from Galway to Parnell Place in Cork on Monday, arriving in Cork around 18:30 for an interview at 8pm.

Are there buses from around there out to Pfizer in Shanbally around that time or would I be better off just jumping in a taxi?

How much would a taxi from Parnell Place to Shanbally be do you think? Bit short of cash at the minute. Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Reactor wrote: »
    Hi, Ill be getting a bus from Galway to Parnell Place in Cork on Monday, arriving in Cork around 14:30 for an interview at 4pm.

Are there buses from around there out to Pfizer in Shanbally around that time or would I be better off just jumping in a taxi?

How much would a taxi from Parnell Place to Shanbally be do you think? Bit short of cash at the minute. Thanks for the help.

Best bet get the 222 to Carrigaline and a taxi from there.

Or if you can get a 223 to Ringaskiddy! Not all of the 223 go that far though, you'd have to check in advance!

Good luck in your interview :)

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭dapto1

Hi, Ill be getting a bus from Galway to Parnell Place in Cork on Monday, arriving in Cork around 14:30 for an interview at 4pm.

There's a bus at 10 past 3 but it doesn't get in until 4, you wouldn't get there in time as it would be another 5/7 minute walk to Pfizer.

http://194.106.151.94/jplan/bin/query.exe/en?seqnr=1&ident=2x.022948187.1295536021&OK#focus

Taxi would be about 25 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Reactor

Thanks to you both, Ill try the 222 to Carrigaline so, would Shanbally be much of a walk from Carrigaline? Doesnt look too far on the map?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

you dont want to walk from carrigaline to shanbally ... Pfizer is a bit of a distance, narrow windy road, loads of dust, some cars passing.... better off jump in a taxi (safer) and you'll be there in time for the interview....best of luck.

ps. thought Pfizer laid off workers last year (I know a former GF of mine was told she was going to be cut .... lab analyst)

Thanks to you both, Ill try the 222 to Carrigaline so, would Shanbally be much of a walk from Carrigaline? Doesnt look too far on the map?

It's too far to walk to be honest, not due to the distance really but there is no footpath for at least half of the way, hard shoulder is a bit worse for wear and there is roadworks going on too at the moment :)
    Taxi from Carrigaline would be essential really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

No taxi's, just cabs in carrigaline, Owenabue 021 437 4666, or carrigdoun 021 4371111.
    When you get off the bus at the owenbue car park(ask driver) start to walk back up the street towards the Ulster Bank. O/bue cabs have a kiosk next to the bank. Between 5-10€ should be the fare. Best of luck with the job.
    PS a taxi fare from Cork bus station will be around €20.

Sorry my internet died for a few hours, thanks a million everybody, thats a massive help.

PCPhoto wrote: »
    you dont want to walk from carrigaline to shanbally ... Pfizer is a bit of a distance, narrow windy road, loads of dust, some cars passing.... better off jump in a taxi (safer) and you'll be there in time for the interview....best of luck.

ps. thought Pfizer laid off workers last year (I know a former GF of mine was told she was going to be cut .... lab analyst)

The original Pfizer plant is down to 2 plants now, used to be 4 in there. The Bio plant in Shanbally (more or less where ADM was) is being sold as since Phizer bought Wyeth they no longer need it as there is a similar facility in the Wyeth plant in Grange Castle Dublin.

The plant in Loughbeg next to the tablet plant was sold off to a Portuguese crowd a year or so ago and the long term future of the tablet plant isn't great as once the patent on Lipitor is up they won't be tabletting much.

None of that is secrets and I might not be 100% correct on all of it but it's all available on the online media anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

Buddy of mine's going for the same job. I was gunna give you bad directions to increase his chances lol ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

If you get really badly stuck by any chance let me know, im off now two days a week so ill be around on Monday if you did want a spin to shanbally..:D good luck with it

• Advertisement

Thankls a million for the offer Milly I think ill be alright though.

Okay new problem, Im getting into Cork tomorrow at 17:30 for a different interview, its in the north wing conference room of the main quad in UCC at 18:30, is an hour long enough to get from Parnell Place Bus Eireann to UCC? Should I hop in a taxi to be safe?

Half an hour gentle walk would be fine, it's about a mile at most.

Okay thanks a million everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

roundymac wrote: »
    Half an hour gentle walk would be fine, it's about a mile at most.

I reckon it would be a bit more if you don't know town - OP, get the number 8 or number 5 bus from town - both go right passed UCC...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

No 5 or 8 bus would save you a bit of effort all right.
    No.8 passes right outside the Bus Station. There's a 'standalone' bus stop where it stops just outside the Bus Station slightly to the left as you look at the river.

http://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Cork,+County+Cork&ll=51.899926,-8.466983&spn=0,0.006518&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=51.899941,-8.467157&panoid=7d8Dt8rtK-uA3Gtjk2gFfA&cbp=12,164.78,,0,10.78

If you're going to walk, simplest (but slightly longer) route if you don't know the city would be to follow the River outside the Bus Staion for as far as you can go. When the River veers away from the road at the Mercy Hospital keep walking straight, keeping to the right hand side of the hospital (See link). Go straight through the traffic lights ahead of you, down the narrow street at the other side of the road. This will take you to the south channnel of the river. Turn right and follow the river almost right up to the gates of the college. Prob a 30 min walk or so.

http://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Cork,+County+Cork&ll=51.898936,-8.483081&spn=0,0.006518&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=51.899094,-8.483118&panoid=v9-jbsAfl6sNL2r2qEshVg&cbp=12,200.65,,0,12.44

Citylink dropped me at the gate of UCC and I walked back afterwards so it was all good thanks.

Cork is such a lovely looking city to be honest, I never realised how totally unique it is, it has its own architectural style that reminds me of British cities in a good way, UCC aswell is a really interesting place, really hoping I end up moving down there now, Im badly in need of a change of scenery.

Leave us know how you got on, we're all nosey Fockers down here.:D

Advertisement