If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Stand with in-built speaker?

Options
  • 20-01-2011 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭

Hi Lads,

I currently own the 32PFL5405H and BDP3000 Blu Ray Player. I'm looking for something to give the sound a little more umph than the TV. I've seen Sony etc do a neat TV stand with virtual surround sound speakers built into it, do you have any of these in any more affordable brands?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi Stuart.

Your best best would be to look at a sound bar and there are quite a few options.

The best one that I can think of, which produces a very good all-round sound is the Boston TVEE 20. (£249.95)

The real benefit of this over any of the other sound bars is the added twist of a wireless sub. This means that the sub can be positioned in the room, without the need for wires.

Most sound bars, like the Sharp HTS400 (£149.95) is just a bar and while it does provide good sound, it can't produce the depth that the Boston produces as the sound is only coming from that small shallow cabinet.

We do offer you a Boston for £239.95 including delivery and as always, we offer the pricebeat so if you can get it delivered for less anywhere else, let us know.

I hope this helps, but let me know if you need anything else.

ATB

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

Hi Dave,

I've previously bought a 32PFL5406H/12 TV off the guys in the Philips shop. I've got the Philips BDP3000 as mentioned below.

I'm looking at upgrading the TV in size - 42 or 47 inch, for 500-650euro range. Do you know if Philips do any speaker kits to add onto this arrangement. I ideally just want a Blu ray surround sound system, but they start about 400 euro and I've already got the Blu Ray player. I'd also like to keep everything the same brand, instead of having 3 remotes for different components!

Another quick question, do HDMI switchers or splitters degrade the quality at all? I've seen some good value LCD TVs (47inch, 50hz at around the 650 mark) but with only 1 rear HDMI slot.

Thanks for your help and would hope to do business!

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hi Dave,

I've previously bought a 32PFL5406H/12 TV off the guys in the Philips shop. I've got the Philips BDP3000 as mentioned below.

I'm looking at upgrading the TV in size - 42 or 47 inch, for 500-650euro range. Do you know if Philips do any speaker kits to add onto this arrangement. I ideally just want a Blu ray surround sound system, but they start about 400 euro and I've already got the Blu Ray player. I'd also like to keep everything the same brand, instead of having 3 remotes for different components!

Another quick question, do HDMI switchers or splitters degrade the quality at all? I've seen some good value LCD TVs (47inch, 50hz at around the 650 mark) but with only 1 rear HDMI slot.

Thanks for your help and would hope to do business!

Stuart,

in reverse order!

Some HDMI switches do give issues - they are generally not quality issues but what are known as handshaking issues - ie it can take longer for the image to appear (or sometimes they don't work at all!) if you are going to buy one - make sure you buy a good quality one - and if you are looking at a 47" with only one HDMI - I would possibly recommend that by the time you add a decent quality HDMI switch you could get a 46/47 inch with 2 or 3 HDMI's.

On the sound bar front - I agree with you most of them have DVD or BR built in when most people already have DVD/BR - I would recommend the Boston Acoustics TVEE which we are doing at £229.95 which is a completely mad price!

This is simple and just takes the audio from your TV and makes it sound M U C H better! and you dont even have to get an extra remote as it learns your TV volume remote and reacts to that!

Finally the sub is compact and wireless so it's easy to install and looks smart.

Have a look at it here: http://www.bostonacoustics.com/TVee-Model-20-P422.aspx

We only have a couple of these left at this mad price so give me a shout if you would like to pop an order in,

ATB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Thanks for the reply John,

Any good prices on TVs in that budget also? Feel free to PM if they are too low for public consumption!

Thanks for the reply John,

Any good prices on TVs in that budget also? Feel free to PM if they are too low for public consumption!

Stuart,

we do the Philips 47PFL3605H at £549.95 / €649.99

http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/4/47pfl3605_93/47pfl3605_93_pss_aen.pdf

Full HD, 2 HDMI inputs and a 2 year warranty as standard.

Keep me posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Advertisement

Hi John,

I just popped you a PM yesterday regarding the TVee Model 20.

Regards,

Stuart

Hi Richersounds,

I've PM'd a few times regarding the Boston Tvee Model 20.

I'm going to buy this Philips today unless I get a reply. Just looking for a good price on the BS TVee and your recommendation between the two.

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/5037810/art/philips/hts5110-12-home-cinema-sy.html

Thanks,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi Stuart.

I have a Boston TVEE for you.

If you want to go ahead with this one, keep let me know and I can have it you for the weekend.

The Philips certainly has the looks and the added feature with the DVD playback, but the little flat speakers on that Philips aren't as good as the Boston.

It depends really on if you need the extra features on the Philips. The Boston is all about sound quality and the wireless sub is a really nice touch as you can drop it anywhere in the room.

Let me know which way you're tempted.

ATB

Dave

Hi Stuart.

I have a Boston TVEE for you.

If you want to go ahead with this one, keep let me know and I can have it you for the weekend.

The Philips certainly has the looks and the added feature with the DVD playback, but the little flat speakers on that Philips aren't as good as the Boston.

It depends really on if you need the extra features on the Philips. The Boston is all about sound quality and the wireless sub is a really nice touch as you can drop it anywhere in the room.

Let me know which way you're tempted.

ATB

Dave

And what Dave forgot to say is that we will do the TVEE at £219.95 for keeping you waiting...

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Hi Lads,

Great work on getting one of the Tvee's, even better work on the price!

Can you PM me the delivery cost to Dublin and a contact number for me to talk through payment with someone over the phone.

Thanks again guys,

Stuart

• Advertisement

Hi Lads,

Great work on getting one of the Tvee's, even better work on the price!

Can you PM me the delivery cost to Dublin and a contact number for me to talk through payment with someone over the phone.

Thanks again guys,

Stuart

Stuart,

delivery will be just £12.99 (and it's a mighty box believe me!)

If you PM me your contact number I'll get the guys to give you a shout, both to save you the spends and to save you the hassle of trying to get through as the phones are pretty busy..

Keep me posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Hi John,

PM sent with details. Awaiting call.

Stuart

* please ignore

Hi Dave/John,

Got a voicemail last night but won't get a chance to call you back during working hours this weekend. Tuesday is fine for delivery.

Thanks again

Hi Again,

Received the TVee Model 20 today. Got one (might not be so) simple question/problem.

I think I mentioned in another thread, that I have the 42PFL5405 TV. Now... to my surprise, the L/R connections on the back of the TV are inputs, not outputs. The TV has SPDIF coaxial out, as well has an out via the headphone jack. You guys might be able to do a little research into the connections on the back of this TV and suggest something.

The connections are detailed on page 58 of this:
    http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/4/42pfl5405h_05/42pfl5405h_05_dfu_eng.pdf

Is there something I got pick up fairly cheaply to a) convert coaxial out into a L/R stereo or b) split the headphone jack out into L/R connections. I currently can only use the TVee to hear whatever I'm watching on UPC, and not from whatever I'm playing through the tv, which was the intended purpose. Preferably something I can pickup in a AV/Maplin type shop down South.

Thanks again,

no worries, bought a 5 euro cable. Thanks!

no worries, bought a 5 euro cable. Thanks!

Stu,

apologies for the delay getting back to you - I meant to ask the guys to check something for me today - but I forgot :o

What I did want them to check was if the scart is a 2 way jobbie - this would allow you to use the scart output to feed the Audio from the TV into the TVEEE (you know what I mean :o)

What do you think of the sound?

Keep me posted..

ATB,

John Mc

What do you think of the sound?

Very impressed with the sound in general, however it's a tad annoying the way I've turned off the tv speakers, and the Tvee has "learned" my remote control command, yet my tv says "tv speakers are not switched on, please go to settings" (or something to that effect) whenever I want to turn the Tvee up and down. I've come to the workaround or turning up and down my UPC box to control the general sound coming out of the Tvee. I think a universal remote might be the way forward in the future for this issue though.

I'm also noticing a slight hum coming from the subwoofer even at low volumes, any ideas?

Thanks,

Very impressed with the sound in general, however it's a tad annoying the way I've turned off the tv speakers, and the Tvee has "learned" my remote control command, yet my tv says "tv speakers are not switched on, please go to settings" (or something to that effect) whenever I want to turn the Tvee up and down. I've come to the workaround or turning up and down my UPC box to control the general sound coming out of the Tvee. I think a universal remote might be the way forward in the future for this issue though.

I'm also noticing a slight hum coming from the subwoofer even at low volumes, any ideas?

Thanks,

..mmm that remote this is supossed to be a feature :eek:

....Not sure about the humming sub - they should be very quiet, of course there will be some small noise but it shoud be minimal - if it proves annoying just drop me a PM or a mail & we'll get you sorted.

Thanks again,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.