Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BTEA Disability mess

Options
  • 20-01-2011 5:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi, I am a 2nd yr third level student. I currently recieve disability allowance and the maintenance grant of about 3,000. I never changed to BTEA, I didnt know I had to until the begining of the summer after 1st year when I was talking to another student. I rang the social welfare dept who confirmed this and said i would have to sign on for the summer this really scared me as i am unable to work and prone to periods of illness wihich i can not control. This is easier to maintain in college as much of my work can be done when i am able at weekends and nights.(I now know thru my own research today this was false) Anyway I didnt change payment and today I received a letter today asking me to inform social welfare of any changes in my circumstances. I will now tell them the whole story but;

I am worried that
    A)I wont get BTEA as im not in 1st year, and will be disqualified from disability as i did not tell them about my changes in circumstances and
    B)That if I am accepted onto BTEA I will lose my grant.

Can anyone advise me on what I can do and what they think the outcome will be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

schooler wrote: »
    Hi, I am a 2nd yr third level student. I currently recieve disability allowance and the maintenance grant of about 3,000. I never changed to BTEA, I didnt know I had to until the begining of the summer after 1st year when I was talking to another student. I rang the social welfare dept who confirmed this and said i would have to sign on for the summer this really scared me as i am unable to work and prone to periods of illness wihich i can not control. This is easier to maintain in college as much of my work can be done when i am able at weekends and nights.(I now know thru my own research today this was false) Anyway I didnt change payment and today I received a letter today asking me to inform social welfare of any changes in my circumstances. I will now tell them the whole story but;

I am worried that
    A)I wont get BTEA as im not in 1st year, and will be disqualified from disability as i did not tell them about my changes in circumstances and
    B)That if I am accepted onto BTEA I will lose my grant.

Can anyone advise me on what I can do and what they think the outcome will be?

If you are in receipt of disability allowance, you must notify DA, not the social welfare office, if you intend to take up an educational course. After you do so and permission is granted, you are then entitled to apply for the grant and you dont have to change to BTEA. However if you are cut off DA during your time in college, you will receive NO social welfare payment if you stay in college, other than the grant. You should contact DA and tell them you were not aware of the procedure and plead with them to give you permission. If you get BTEA (which I doubt, considering the qualifying conditions), you will not get any grant.

Advertisement