Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early Lease Termination/Noise Problems

Options
  • 20-01-2011 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭

Looking for a bit of advice.
    Just got the keys for a new apartment today. Had viewed the place a week before with my girlfriend and all seemed perfect. On arriving today though (all excited!), the neighbours were in the apartment upstairs and the sound insulation is so bad that we could hear every word they spoke, even just idle chat! I'd imagine if we could hear them that clearly, then it probably works vice versa. This ,for me, takes away a large portion of the privacy I'd expect, not being able to have a private conversation without the neighbours being able to hear seems unacceptable to me.
    So I guess my main question is, do I have any ground for complaint or possibly terminating the lease early? I really can't see myself living in that kinda situation for any length of time.
    Cheers for any help or advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

You should act immediately if you wish to discontinue the lease.
    There is usually some short form of period where you can change your mind in any contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

Zamboni wrote: »
    You should act immediately if you wish to discontinue the lease.
    There is usually some short form of period where you can change your mind in any contract.

I don't remember anything about being able to get out of the contract early, but if it's true that would be perfect.
    Have a meeting in the local threshold office tomorrow morning so hopefully there's some law about sound levels or even the peaceful enjoyment of ones home.

Advertisement