Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thumbnail fine - Picture not.

• 20-01-2011 5:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, could very well be in the wrong place .If so troll away!

My mother wiped our memory card the night of my debs. She was trying to delete a picture my friend took and managed to wipe the whole camera. Mothers should not be allowed near camera i know.

Brought it to the chemist and got them on a disk. Some recovered, some lost, yet the main one ( me and my date ) which is needed to eternally remind my mother and her mother that their children went to a debs. IS there, in the thumbnail. However when i click into it a grey line runs across the bottom cutting the bottom half of the picture off.

Thumbnail is fine, consider bringing it to a better shop ? or hope there is one of the two of us on my uncles camera. Just his is a film one. Nice camera however in this day and age i don't see why he still insists on film...

any help appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

SDTimeout wrote: »
    ... Nice camera however in this day and age i don't see why he still insists on film...

There's little chance of all the shots being deleted off a film camera for a start :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

There's little chance of all the shots being deleted off a film camera for a start :)

:D Touché. You are sadly talking to a member of the facebook generation I'm afraid where USB is often the saving factor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

So is it a digital, or film camera.

Open to correction, but I believe JPG's can have embedded thumbnails, this part of the file (along with the top portion of the image) may be intact, and the rest lost, which might account for the behaviour you are seeing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

lads and lassies ... read the post.

the OP is hoping that the uncles (film) camera will have pics of the two of them together.

digital file appears to be corrupted - either the shop didn't recover/scan it properly...or you need to try do an image recovery (have a search for the many threads on here about the subject)

its important that the card is not used after images were deleted for recovery to work properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Well... this has been an eventful day from studying / the leaving cert.

If you don't mind i'd like to post this here just in case it happens anyone else.

Here is the original file.

image0051s.jpg

So through a program called JPEGsnoop ( mods delete if not allowed name programs! ) i managed to resize the thumbnail to an appropriate size and quality. Then through various flicking around and realligning some bottom parts of the photo through piant ( i hear the laughs ) then resized.

7631219d872974a6587a366c07976c6dae8814a.jpg

Now it's just a case of making that to a decent quality. Something called upscaling. Any help at this final furlong greatly appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

Actually there is. Try opening a film camera with an exposed film in it which hasn't been rolled back properly into the cartridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Before you take any more photos with the camera and card have a look at this How-to from GavinZac on how to recover deleted photos from a memory card. --> Link

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

mdebets wrote: »
    Actually there is. Try opening a film camera with an exposed film in it which hasn't been rolled back properly into the cartridge.
    strictly speaking, you're wrong. there's a difference between deleting and overwriting.

I had a hard drive fail on me and I used a program called GetDataBack to recover all of the content on it.

The hard drive was essentially dead, though, so I needed somewhere else to store the files, and had to return the drive to Argos, but still, I got everything back that I had lost. I'm sure the program would work with a memory card.

Could be worth a shot?

Advertisement