Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Age of first years this year

Options
  • 20-01-2011 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi everyone, just wondering what age most people were starting 1st year in ucd this year? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

I turned 19 in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Lottie127

Dont worry. She looked 18, she was asking for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Remember, ignorance of the law is a valid excuse

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭stop

wdq3V.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

^^^^^^ Take a bow sir ^^^^^^^

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭partyndbs

20 got kicked out of michaels at xmas of 6th year was meant to do my lc in 2008 so worked till september then had to go back to fifth yr..hha

I was 17 (22 now) when I started. There were a few of us at that age starting but it seems to be decreasing more and more now due to TY and "gap yah".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Tuty_Fruity

19 and a half :P

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

Turning 18 in two months. I feel that I've missed out on something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

Same as every year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

I was 19...guy in my class has the same birthday and he turned 17 the same day!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

I was 17 when I started, 22 now. It definitely feels like an eternity ago now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭CrazyBiscuit

Most are 18/19. There is the odd 17 or 20 year old with the exception of more mature students though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I worked it out a while ago, that the average age of a first year entering UCD was 18 and 1.6 months or so.

The academic year that enter university should have started school age 4 (on first of September the year they entered). This makes the average age of a student 14 years after that, 18 years and 6 months old in September. I would estimate roughly 2 thirds of students do TY, so about a third will be a year younger. Meaning we end up with students being about on average 18 and 1-2 months or so.

That doesn't take into account mature students or repeat students, so I guess it could more accurately be described as students who are sitting the LC for the first time. (obviously minus 3 months). I figure mature students probably damage the figure too much to put in, like if we take them into account we get a figure that is actually useless, repeat students are a large percentage. I don't count them cause I don't want to.

The 66% of students taking TY is based on the fact that 75% of schools offer it, but most schools that don't aren't necessarily large university feeders. A significant percentage of those that do, offer it to a relatively small percentage of the class size. And a significant percentage of those that remain, offer it optionally. 66% is based on that plus my own experience of my mates in college.

If anyone has any facts that can correct that, increasing its accuracy, I'd be pumped.

(I recently read that the average age for the loss of virginity in Ireland was also 18 and 1 month. Which would be great if true.)

errlloyd wrote: »
    I worked it out a while ago, that the average age of a first year entering UCD was 18 and 1.6 months or so.

The academic year that enter university should have started school age 4 (on first of September the year they entered). This makes the average age of a student 14 years after that, 18 years and 6 months old in September. I would estimate roughly 2 thirds of students do TY, so about a third will be a year younger. Meaning we end up with students being about on average 18 and 1-2 months or so.

That doesn't take into account mature students or repeat students, so I guess it could more accurately be described as students who are sitting the LC for the first time. (obviously minus 3 months). I figure mature students probably damage the figure too much to put in, like if we take them into account we get a figure that is actually useless, repeat students are a large percentage. I don't count them cause I don't want to.

The 66% of students taking TY is based on the fact that 75% of schools offer it, but most schools that don't aren't necessarily large university feeders. A significant percentage of those that do, offer it to a relatively small percentage of the class size. And a significant percentage of those that remain, offer it optionally. 66% is based on that plus my own experience of my mates in college.

If anyone has any facts that can correct that, increasing its accuracy, I'd be pumped.

(I recently read that the average age for the loss of virginity in Ireland was also 18 and 1 month. Which would be great if true.)
    You never took into account percentage of people doing the leaving cert who went into UCD, mature students, repeat students, people transferring into first year from different colleges.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Ruski wrote: »
    You never took into account percentage of people doing the leaving cert who went into UCD, mature students, repeat students, people transferring into first year from different colleges.

I actually pointed that out myself, but sure its all grand like. No worries.

errlloyd wrote: »
    I actually pointed that out myself, but sure its all grand like. No worries.
    Oh, right. I kinda skimmed through it. I'll make sure to read things carefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

partyndbs wrote: »
    20 got kicked out of michaels at xmas of 6th year was meant to do my lc in 2008 so worked till september then had to go back to fifth yr..hha

Not only is that horseshít, but you said you went to Blackrock and Clongowes elesewhere.

Good to have you back D.R!

eh that wasnt me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

I was 17 starting here - recently turned 18 :)

• Advertisement

4 years in blackrock then i went to clongoes im smokin pot but its not as if my mom knows

irsh rap is terrible i dont care how sum pov in ballymun grew up...ur life is dull and boring...why wud i want to hear your music lol

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

I was 24...

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

I was 17, turned 18 a few weeks later. I was the youngest, most of my class were 19, even 20+!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

I logged on purely to thank your posts, fad :D

OT - was 18 when I started first year.

Fad wrote: »

He is actually quoting a song there. By a **** rapper by the name of Nucentz i think.

It was popular on bebo about 3 years ago. I was like a northside/southside kind of song.

EDIT: Found it If you go to 1:43 you will see the line there.

He is actually quoting a song there. By a **** rapper by the name of Nucentz i think.

It was popular on bebo about 3 years ago. I was like a northside/southside kind of song.

EDIT: Found it If you go to 1:43 you will see the line there.

Wow, I have a new found respect for him, and you for posting that..... it's..... AMAZING.

Not entirely sure WHY it exists, but it is BRILLIANCE.

Edit:The story about Michael's is still bollocks... >_>

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Slippers

I moved back to Ireland at 17 but went back to fifth year instead of sixth so did the leaving certificate at 19. Then I repeated. So I was 20 at the start of First Year (2003/04). I will be 28 in March but this year my modules are five from Third Year and one from Second Year.

Fad wrote: »

its lyrics from a song

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

its lyrics from a song

One I'm pretty glad I never knew about!

• Advertisement

One I'm pretty glad I never knew about!

It was a massive bebo viral around 2005-2006. You philistine, cannot appreciate the classics! ;)

Advertisement