Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Precast Concrete Flooring

Options
  • 20-01-2011 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi I am in the munster area and was just wondering if anyone has any idea of prices for precast concrete flooring. Am only at the very early planning stages! would love some feedback on pros and cons too
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Deemol wrote: »
    Hi I am in the munster area and was just wondering if anyone has any idea of prices for precast concrete flooring. Am only at the very early planning stages! would love some feedback on pros and cons too
    Thanks

depends on thickness, and I assume you would be using hollowcore slabs? not wide slabs. on average, a thickness of 200mm (which is most common) would be anywhere from €28-32/m.

Pros - sound proof, vibration proof when walking/jumping on, can take underfloor heating best, quick installation
    Cons - more expensive than traditional joist/boarding (but not as much as previously), you need to place another layer of insitu concrete as either a structural screed or a screed for the UFH pipework, you need a suspended type ceiling for underneath not a traditional slab to joist fixing, will need to get engineer to make sure the foundations and walls can carry the extra weight load.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭bigmanhole

excellent reply from bruschi

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

I went for precast wideslab flooring, the installation was very quick, as was the installation of the metal frame suspended ceiling underneath, other pros - you can build internal block walls upstairs as opposed to timber stud walls (great for sound proofing and hanging pictures etc). Handier for the Blocklayers to build the rising external walls from inside. Wet room floors (if you like that kind of thing) can work better with the screed floors beneath them as opposed to the timber joists. Precast floors and stairs would have a better fire rating than timber.
    Cons - might need to plan out your toilet layouts well in advance and leave notches in the slabs.
    Might be some more pros on these websites

www.moyloughconcrete.com
    www.mcgrathquarries.ie
    www.whelansgroup.com/precast.php
    www.duconconcrete.com
    www.concast.ie
    www.wright.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Deemol

Thats excellent, thank you so much for your reply's, a lot to be thinking about!!

Dee

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Deemol wrote: »
    Thats excellent, thank you so much for your reply's, a lot to be thinking about!!

Dee

personally, I would (and did) go for precast slabs. makes things so much better, in lot of ways. the main drawback is the finances, but as relative to other things involved in a build, it is a small percentage in comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭soldsold

You could add flood flooring to the list above, really good to deal with on my build, great at communicating, measuring, drawing, delivering, installing and pricing!.

Would highly recommend hollowcore, and there is a boards member lurking around that does the metal ceilings at a decent rate apparently.

Its so easy to keep building when you have 8 inches of concrete to work off, and the soundproof rating of 52 for 8 inch wideslab (no holes in the slab) is pretty impressive.

Just make sure you wrap the slab with solitex membrane to avoid draughts and heat loss where the slab meets the walls below.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭moan 77

add Hickey precast to that list, i used them, and Mick is a sound man, i gotn plenty of advise on other aspects of the build from him and you'll get no b/s from Mick <SNIP>

Mod edit: Can you PM the OP with the contact details please as we dont allow that info to be posted on a public forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

Priced Ducon, Gleeson's in Tipperary and Mike Cronin for my job and while all were in the ballpark pricewise, Ducon were hungrier for the job and I must say that their representative is an absolute gent to deal with. One thing to be aware of is the need for either a bank draft or electronic transfer of money in full on the day before delivery.

Advertisement