Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another question

Options
  • 20-01-2011 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭

hi, my girlfriend is learning to drive at the moment and i was just wondering if anyone knows anywhere quiet around the city where i could take her, to get her used to the car and its controls, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭cookie75

Down by the Marina on Sunday mornings very quiet traffic wise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

blackpool shopping centre is great after closing, you have all the white lines and everything for practicing on...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Sunday morning again, behind Smyths toy shop off the Kinsale road roundabout, there's a huge car park with plenty of spaces to practise parking, and lots of normal sized roads running between units to teach her normal driving co-ordination too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

Thanks a lot

Plenty of brake clutch practice before you go anywhere ;) Brake clutch, brake clutch, brake clutch, brake clutch.............. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Mahon Industrial Estate at the weekend is good. The place will be dead. There's a good stretch of mostly straight road with small roundabouts at either end for easy turning. Lots of empty car parks down there too if ye wanted to practice parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭pixie_dust

Greyhound track was always a good spot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Half way down the Skehard road on the right is good, where they used to do the driving tests before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

pixie_dust wrote: »
    Greyhound track was always a good spot

+1 there's a big open area and then the actual car parking area which is pretty tight for when she gets a bit more used to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

cookie75 wrote: »
    Down by the Marina on Sunday mornings very quiet traffic wise

Too narrow, nowhere to escape. Had a few tips from learners on this road. Not worth the trouble, it's an advanced route IMO, trees, dangerous slopes and water ~ too much for beginners.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Sunday morning again, behind Smyths toy shop off the Kinsale road roundabout, .

Yes but watch out for HSE EMT vehicle deployments ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭themonboys

Eastgate , Little Island, stay up this end as there wouldn't be a sinner there in the evening times. You got speed ramps, yield signs, parking spaces and when she gets better she can go further out into the estate itself for the roundabouts and a bit more traffic.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Cork,+County+Cork,+Ireland&ll=51.902977,-8.368363&spn=0.004793,0.008991&z=16

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

themonboys wrote: »
    Eastgate , Little Island, stay up this end as there wouldn't be a sinner there in the evening times. You got speed ramps, yield signs, parking spaces and when she gets better she can go further out into the estate itself for the roundabouts and a bit more traffic.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Cork,+County+Cork,+Ireland&ll=51.902977,-8.368363&spn=0.004793,0.008991&z=16

+1 Found this place great when I was learning to drive, also if you're lucky enough to get a test down in little island, this will be part of your test.
    Not sure if you can still pick a place to take your test, but would advise little island, it's much much easier than b-town.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

+1 Found this place great when I was learning to drive, also if you're lucky enough to get a test down in little island, this will be part of your test.
    Not sure if you can still pick a place to take your test, but would advise little island, it's much much easier than b-town.
    I think someone mentioned that they arent conducting tests there anymore as the back log is lessened .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

correct, wilton is the only route now. and such a busy spot too its crazy.. you never seem to be able to pick up any speed at all but good for testing the stop starts !

Advertisement