Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Share: Notice Required.

Options
  • 20-01-2011 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭

I share a house with one other person who has told me a few times since before Christmas that they will be moving out early this year around March time. They have told me repeatedly that I will get a months notice which is perfectly fine. However, recently I was told that they will be moving out mid month but are giving me 4 weeks notice all the same. Again I have no major issue with this. My concern is around the rent, do they owe a full months rent or if they leave mid way (but have still given 4 weeks notice) can they get away with splitting the months rent?:confused:
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

From the sounds of it they are saying:

I will be gone in 15 days, but I will pay 30 days rent.

Just ask them...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

From the sounds of it they are saying:

I will be gone in 15 days, but I will pay 30 days rent.

Just ask them...

Thanks for the quick reply but they told me that today they are giving me one months notice (i.e. from today, well this evening) and will be gone in 30 days. That 30 days is over 2 weeks before the end of that month though and so thats where I'm confused and seeking clarification. Is the 30 days from this evening the months notice OR should the months notice run for an actual calander month and take them up to the end that calander month? I just want to be sure because if I was asking them to leave I'd work it from the start to end of any given month not just give a random 30 days notice.
    I did say this to them (there has been no bitterness though which is nice) and they said that they were shocked at what I was saying that that the 30 days was the notice and that they had never been asked ever before to give a calander months notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Sounds like they have given loads of prior notice, if they are now giving you the 4 weeks that is plenty, regardless whether it ends in the middle of a month, thats not too relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

Notice does not have to run by a calender month, a months notice is considered 30 days, which doesn't have to be from the first of a month to the end of a month.

If they're leaving mid month just take a half months rent off them. simples!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

a months notice is a months notice weather its the first the fifteenth or whenever.

they pay until they move out thats all they are obliged to do.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

A lot depends on the status this person has. Are they a co-tenant a sub tenant or a licencee?
    The old common law rule is that notice must expire on a gale day i.e. a date that rent is due. If someone wants to leave they have to give sufficient notice expiring on a gale day. A tenant cannot split rent due periods down into a number of days. A letting is in whole periods of a week or a month according as the rent is paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Thanks for all of your replies.

The tennant is a house share with owner occupier and rent is always paid by the month and they always moved in on the first of the month. Also whenever I had asked someone to leave in the past I had always given a calander months notice so I just wanted to check with other people.

There has been no tension or acrimony with us over this which is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The tennant is a house share with owner occupier
    Then you are the owner and they are a lodger.

Unless there was something specific set out at the start, only reasonable notice needs to be given.

It is a modest concern that they are only giving 10 days notice that they will only be paying half rent.

Advertisement