Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with extral Hard Drive

Options
  • 20-01-2011 6:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Looking for any help possible please.

I have a Dell Dimesion 2400, upgraded to 1gb RAM, it's an old pc but works fine still. Only thing is i only have 80gb of memory so I bought a Samsung HM161GI 160 gb hard drive form ebay for a good price. It should be simple enough plug into usb and go surely but no. I plug it in and not much happens.:mad: Depending on the port (some don't recognise the device and in others the drive just beeps) nothing happens. I'm not sure if i need a driver or something, I've looked around for a driver but no luck with it. No matter what goes on it just doesn't seem to come up on my computer as it should.

Please help:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭GarRo247

It is possible with a computer that old it will have usb 1.0 instead of 2.0 and if that's the case your computer is too old and there isnt much you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Is that a portable USB drive in its own casing? A Google search shows it as a standard 2.5" SATA drive.

What operating system are you using?

If it is a portable drive, and it does not require its own power supply then there is a chance that it is dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 olafhd276

GarRo247 wrote: »
    It is possible with a computer that old it will have usb 1.0 instead of 2.0 and if that's the case your computer is too old and there isnt much you can do.

No it's usb 2.0. also the Hard disk is in a steel case and plugs in by usb and no external power either. it says if theres not enough power theres 2 plugs on the usb cable. It always lights up like its working and the light going red or green but nothing else

JDxtra wrote: »
    Is that a portable USB drive in its own casing? A Google search shows it as a standard 2.5" SATA drive.

What operating system are you using?

If it is a portable drive, and it does not require its own power supply then there is a chance that it is dead.

also i'm using windows XP. up to date on the updates too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

If its in its own casing might be best to take it out and plug it into the secondary drive slot in the computer case to see if anything is stirring.

Does it sound like it is spinning or are any other noises come out of it (like clicks?)

• Advertisement

If its in its own casing might be best to take it out and plug it into the secondary drive slot in the computer case to see if anything is stirring.

Does it sound like it is spinning or are any other noises come out of it (like clicks?)

It does sound like it's work, just i think it needs a driver. i'll try and take it outta the case and put it into the other drive slot...after me dinner

thanks for the quick responses

It's a 2.5" drive, so it won't fit in the second hard drive bay of the PC (if there is one).

Is the casing its in a genuine Samsung case?

JDxtra wrote: »
    It's a 2.5" drive, so it won't fit in the second hard drive bay of the PC (if there is one).

Is the casing its in a genuine Samsung case?

not that i belive. no samsung markings on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Try plugging it into the back USB slots on the PC.

The front USBs may not handle the required power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Moon54 wrote: »
    Try plugging it into the back USB slots on the PC.

The front USBs may not handle the required power.

Also try a different cable
    Sounds stupid, but I had the same problem last night (beeping drive and all!) with an old laptop sata drive that I'd thrown into a cheapo enclosure... Used the cable that came with it (one of those ones with an extra usb plug for more power) and it just wouldn't work... Stuck in a standard cable and used the same port and it worked perfectly

• Advertisement

If the case does not have Samsung written on it, then I don't know what you actually bought. The model number you listed is a laptop hard drive. Maybe it's a laptop hard drive inside some 3rd party casing?

resize-image.asp?image_id=32649

Thats the model number inside the casing so i assume its right.

I've near tried everything at this stage. sometimes it say's "Usb Drive Not Recognised" and sometimes it doesn't and in the Device Manager it just comes up as Unknown Device and clicking on that it says no drivers installed.

Advertisement