Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How far should we be in chemistry?

• 20-01-2011 8:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭

I'm in 5th year atm and we seem to have covered very little in chemistry. We are using Chemistry live. We have discovery of the atom, the periodic table, Chemical Formulae:Bonding and we've just started trends in the periodic table. I might be totally wrong, but I feel like we're not going to get anything finished at this rate :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

You need to go quite slowly in Chem tbh, the shít chapters you're doing now are key in getting to grips with more complicated, kinda surprised you haven't done at least some titrations by now though.

Dont worry, Organic is a really long (And hideously important) section but it doesn't take THAT long to actually cover it, aside from it and acid/base and redox titrations, there isn't that much on the course that takes particularly long to cover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

Understanding the basics in chemistry is crucial. Once you've become comfortable with the periodic table and the different concepts of moles, ions, bonds, etc., you will cruise past the last ten chapters. There's no point in bombing it through the book and saying you've done everything if you haven't really understood most of it.

Chemistry Live is a good textbook, maybe if you feel more comfortable with the material you could do some reading ahead on your own?

Have you done any experiments? As long as you do all the titrations and o-chem stuff you shouldn't have to worry about not being prepared for the exam.

Going at this rate might shave off a few revision weeks at the end of 6th year, but you should get the course finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

We've only done the anions and the benzoic acid one with the recrystallization. Its just that we are doing these things so slowly, but we keep having to go back because she explains it badly/wrongly the first time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Finished Organic Chemistry now, bar 1 experiment I think, cartiography or something, think splittinof colours in the ink, anyway doing that after pres...
    Stochiometry #2 to do (after pres as well) and going over Thermochemistry again now, missed it last year with broken ankle, then I think we're done.
    Did spend a bit on first few chapters though, just trying to get to grips with chemistry, bonding especially and PT to some extent VITAL.

Love organic chemistry :)
    Must learn titrations and test for anions... done them all though :)
    Actually fly through stuff towards end of 5th year start of 6th I thought..

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭conormccarthy92

6th year , due to finish the course by this day week according to my teacher ! thank god

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭patar

I'm in 5th year atm and we seem to have covered very little in chemistry. We are using Chemistry live. We have discovery of the atom, the periodic table, Chemical Formulae:Bonding and we've just started trends in the periodic table. I might be totally wrong, but I feel like we're not going to get anything finished at this rate :(

Hey I'm in fifth year aswell, and we're also using chemistry live... yeah it does seem like you're kinda far behind. we've nearly finished the acids and bases chapter...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

You're a bit behind but not by much. The course is short enough that you'll still be finished on time by next year with time to spare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

I also think we're moving rather slowly, at least in comparison to the other subjects. We've done:
    The Mole Concept
    Rates of Reactions
    Acids and Bases
    Volumetric Analysis
    Radioactivity
    Atomic Theory
    Arrangement of Electrons in the Atom

And we're currently about half way through The Periodic Table.
    Are we going slowly or normally?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Yeah I'd a feeling we're a bit behind. See I don't know if I can count some of the chapters because they are just history.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

We're moving quite fast, i'm on the chapter after acids and bases (volumetric analysis), but our teacher said he aims to finish the course before christmas next year. Haven't many experiments done, but we're doing the titrations now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭EverybodyLies

6th year , due to finish the course by this day week according to my teacher ! thank god

:eek: We're not due to finish until April!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I also think we're moving rather slowly, at least in comparison to the other subjects. We've done:
    The Mole Concept
    Rates of Reactions
    Acids and Bases
    Volumetric Analysis
    Radioactivity
    Atomic Theory
    Arrangement of Electrons in the Atom

And we're currently about half way through The Periodic Table.
    Are we going slowly or normally?

Slightly more than us, we have gone in order so far, just about to finish radioactivity. But we haven't even brushed on the mole and stuff.

A lot of teachers skip ch 5 as it it can be a lot to take in I guess, but it's one of the more tedious iv been told.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

So now that it's the end of the year how is everybody fairing now?
    We are half way through Oxidation and Reduction; volumetric analysis.

So Chapters 1-15ish.

Which isn't too bad, my teacher said she never covers the options, but I want to cover them myself this summer before the mocks next year I think, does anybody have any idea which of the options is easier? :)

Advertisement