Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Agadir

• 20-01-2011 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭

What is peoples experience of Agadir, how did they find it. Is it ok for couples? Has anybody tried any all inclusive packages? Seems to be quite cheap. Is it easy to get out and about on excursions?

Thanks for any feedback

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭locky76

i was in agadir last march with my wife and it is quite pleasant however it islike they budgeted €1 billion to do it up and ran out of money after €700million.
    it has a jaded unfinished look to it but as a cheap beach holiday it's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

locky76 wrote: »
    i was in agadir last march with my wife and it is quite pleasant however it islike they budgeted €1 billion to do it up and ran out of money after €700million.
    it has a jaded unfinished look to it but as a cheap beach holiday it's fine.

Thanks mate,,did you find it much hassle over there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

I found women get hassle there- we were leered at allot. I went with my mum and sister and we all experienced the same thing. It seemed harmless but still felt very uncomfortable. We definitely didn't invite it and dressed very conservatively. It was easy to go on excursions etc which were very interesting but tbh I wouldn't go back because of the hassle. Also I didn't like the way people approached you in the shops and markets etc- there is no such thing as popping out for a quiet browse- BUT maybe some people would enjoy that.

That was ten years ago so maybe it has changed. Agadir is very touristy so maybe it's not as bad in other areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭locky76

MANUTD99 wrote: »
    Thanks mate,,did you find it much hassle over there?
    not really although we went to a souk and it was a pain in the hole because you couldn't look at anything without being harrangued for ten minutes to try and get you to buy something.

Thanks for the feedback.

I am just a little concerned that my OH would find it streesfull and not enjoy it.

It's quite cheap to do an all inclusive at this resort which I hope would be good quality. Has anyone ever stayed here?

http://www.riu.com/en/Paises/morocco/agadir/clubhotel-riu-tikida-dunas/index.jsp

My other hope then would be to have a couple of day trips to break up the time spent around the resort.

Any tips for good day trips?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭sophia25

I've stayed in that hotel three times. It's lovely and the staff are amazing. From the moment you arrive you are well looked after. They bring your bags to the room while you relax.

The pool area is stunning but the evening entertainment is well........they try. They have a cabaret show most evenings but you wouldn't be going for the night life.

Agadir is not the best resort but the complex is so nice there really is no need to leave it. There is a private beach and the security guards make sure you're not hassled.

I enjoyed the trip to Souk, the moroccan night and boat trip. As a woman though, I never left the hotel on my own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

I went to Agadir with my then bf about 2 years ago. Must say I loved it.

The food, people, souks and surf are amazing. We weren't the type of couple that would be content sitting by the pool all day, he is a surfer and I am just happy exploring. We rented a car from the airport, drove to Essaouira, to the north, for the amazing souk there. We then travelled down to Tiznit, strange little place, but lovely for having a look. We drove up to Marrakesh for a day. Drive is not for the faint hearted!!:D I loved it, but he hated it, he just felt claustraphobic the whole time. I loved the buzz and energy.

Only thing I will say is to be wary of what is acceptable there. Drinking and clothing. We managed to buy a few bottles from a restaurant to take back to the apartment with us and bought a few beers in a small shop, but as with many muslim countries, it is not something which is readily available.

I went to the souk on my own one day. I noticed straight away the huge change in how people approached me, as a lone female tourist. Its a little hard at first, but you do get over it. The minute my bf was around, it was with him they haggled as he was the man, i was left sidelined.

Have you ever been on holidays to a muslim country before? Many of the concerns we have for these countries, i.e. the constant bombarding when shopping or the leering are quickly dispelled.

sophia25 wrote: »
    I've stayed in that hotel three times. It's lovely and the staff are amazing. From the moment you arrive you are well looked after. They bring your bags to the room while you relax.

The pool area is stunning but the evening entertainment is well........they try. They have a cabaret show most evenings but you wouldn't be going for the night life.

Agadir is not the best resort but the complex is so nice there really is no need to leave it. There is a private beach and the security guards make sure you're not hassled.

I enjoyed the trip to Souk, the moroccan night and boat trip. As a woman though, I never left the hotel on my own.

Great info. Did you go all inclusive? I've never done it before, how does it work, is it set times when food is served and is alcohol free? My OH doesn't really drink that much and would only have cocktails so I'm hoping cocktails are included.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭hokeypokey

If you go, a trip to marrakesh is a must!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭sophia25

MANUTD99 wrote: »
    Great info. Did you go all inclusive? I've never done it before, how does it work, is it set times when food is served and is alcohol free? My OH doesn't really drink that much and would only have cocktails so I'm hoping cocktails are included.

I did go all inclusive and cocktails are included. Breakfast is served from about 7 - 10 buffet style. If you are too late there are pastries and coffee in bar then. Lunch opens about 12 -2.30. That's served in the restaurant beside the pool area and again buffet style. There's two dinner settings in the evening (get the late sitting) and is served in main restaurant. you get assigned your dinner table on day 1 for the week. Dinner is an event, the entertainment and waiters all line up to greet you on way in. The waiters are dressed in formal suits for dinner and there is usually a theme. There is always a roast meat, carved freshly for you, pizza, pasta fish salads etc. The desserts have to be seen to be believed and usually they have a chef making crepe suzettes etc on demand. They also have sculptures made each night based on the theme of the night. One tip was to spot a barman and give a fiver tip a day and you would never have to go to the bar, they'll keep you topped up. Tbh though the staff couldn't be nicer, it's a lovely hotel.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I was there a few years back with the missus, you get some hassle from the "lookie lookie" brigade but I accept that and just keep walking, if you let things like that upset you then it may irk.
    Perhaps you could split your holiday, we did a week in Agadir and a week in Marrakesh to split it up.
    I found haggling enjoyable and stuff there is dirt cheap, was not too impressed on the quality of the food but once you bulk up on breakfast (half board very popular) you will be fine.
    Lovely country, been back a couple of times since, nice people, deffo going back again.

Thank everybody for the feedback.

Just got home from travel agent after booking 1 week all inclusive

Advertisement