Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin West General Election 2011 [Mod note post #218]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

godscop wrote: »
    Yeah i saw Varadkar on Vincent Browne last night. Car crash tv. Delighted he was so bad. Having met him a few times he is so smug and arrogant. I am a publc servant so he wont be getting any vote from me.

BTW Godscop, don't forget this :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt_J_c447ro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I can't imagine he'll be allowed to stray too far from the party line though.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

BostonB wrote: »
    I think it comes back to what was said earlier, and I agreed with.

People are voting for change. Simply that. I think.

How much change can there be though? The deficit has to be brought down. the loan has to be payed back. The money can't be plucked out of the air, it has to be taken from somewhere, and all the parties can say what they like, but they're going to have to take it from somewhere and from someone.

One of my main issues with FG and Labor is that they seem to be so convinced their going to get in that they're not even trying. Their campaign slogan might as well be "We're Not FF - Vote for us"
    They keep saying they'll create jobs, and fix the health service and all the rest, but I'm not seeing any actual plans or details for how they're going to do this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 groovy train

I know Patrick Nulty well and i also know David Mc Guinness. Both are very honest and hardworking. Patrick lives in the corduff area and is very active in the local community. I know they both have helped local sports clubs with advice and finance. Patrick represents the community on the Blanchardstown Local Drugs Task Force. His priorities:
    • Supporting graduates and apprentices to complete their training and get back to work
    • Reforming our disastrous planning system
    • Fighting to protect Connolly Hospital
    • Campaigning to get Hansfield Station open
    • Delivering quality school sites and community facilities for Dublin West
    Good luck to the two of them they have and are putting the work in. Its a tough job but im sure they do it to make a change.

How much change can there be though? ....

You could pick different people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

I can't imagine he'll be allowed to stray too far from the party line though.

Not while we have the whip system.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

You could pick different people.

Well Duh!

I'm talking about on a national level, with a FG or Labor government, how much can they actually do differently given how much we're now tied to Europe.
    The only real difference there will be is where they're taking the money from, and we all know it's most likely going to be from the PAYE worker, so how exactly are FG or Labor or SF or indeed FF going to do it differently.

Well Duh!

I'm talking about on a national level, with a FG or Labor government, how much can they actually do differently given how much we're now tied to Europe.
    The only real difference there will be is where they're taking the money from, and we all know it's most likely going to be from the PAYE worker, so how exactly are FG or Labor or SF or indeed FF going to do it differently.

No need for that. It was your contention that theres little choice between them, because the same fundamental things have to be done. if I accept that, then the only thing left to choose is the people. Then I pick the people who didn't get us to this point or are associated with them.

If I look at policies. I am biased because of the failures of the Govt attempts to deal with the problem to date. I look at the FF policies with a jaundiced view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

I know Patrick Nulty well and i also know David Mc Guinness. Both are very honest and hardworking. Patrick lives in the corduff area and is very active in the local community. I know they both have helped local sports clubs with advice and finance. Patrick represents the community on the Blanchardstown Local Drugs Task Force. His priorities:
    • Supporting graduates and apprentices to complete their training and get back to work
    Good luck to the two of them they have and are putting the work in. Its a tough job but im sure they do it to make a change.

Excellent and well informed post "groovy train". I did some digging and done some emailing as promised.

David McGuinness also serves on Blanchardstown Local Drugs Task Force as to does Nulty and not only donates to and advises local sports clubs, he also serves on Corduff Sports Centre prior to becoming councillor and continues to serve there now.

McGuinness supported school sites and community facilities in Tyrrelstown by voting for 3 school sites, a parkland for Tyrrelstown with 3 million euro to develop it, an extension to the retail space there serving jobs and has pushed for better road infrastructure in the area (N2/N3 Link). Others in the council apparently voted against the latter.

OK I have also found:

CLonsilla One way system opened to two-way flow because David's vote passed the 2010 (local council) Budget and he made that the priority for securing his support. He did did actually advertise that fact at the time - I have been informed of that.

David recently sponsored a local schoolboy team recently.

*His leaflets say he is committed to Job Creation and Retention.
    *Educating our youth in the best quality facilities with full IT and literacy units.
    *Reforming our political system: Less politicians, less pay and expenses and more work.
    *Connolly A&E needs protection and the hospital needs further development to make it one of the best medical centres in the country.

The community voice is out today and there is a letter in it from a resident of the constituency about his and other councillors vote to support the junkets in the council. He has told me that he voted along with the rest that the junkets not be scrapped but open to anyone who wants to go on them and he simply does not want to go on them and has claimed no expenses at-all. He stated he would not vote to prevent others to go on these things as they can explain their own decisions if they want to go on them or not. Fair enough I suppose.

Right im off to the Clonsilla for a pint. Go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

CLonsilla One way system opened to two-way flow because David's vote passed the 2010 (local council) Budget and he made that the priority for securing his support. He did did actually advertise that fact at the time - I have been informed of that.

He got that done all by himself did he? Im sure the othes that voted for it had a part to play as well.

• Advertisement

FF was as bad before the last election and got in again because at the last minute they was promising this that and the other and people was getting money for everything. Now that they want some of that back, people are up in arms over it and calling it a shame. Its a case of want everything but not prepared to give some back.
    Like it or not FF have done the hard work in the start of the recovery and we all know the money has to be paid back . FG have given out about FF about job losses but they plan to cut jobs themselves and raise taxes.
    Its better the devil you know now FF have a new leader and fighting for their political future. They are not taking drastic measures just for the sake of it and remember they have family members affected by all this as well.
    Im no supporter of any political party and just go by whats on the table and the best option for me at the time. I believe a change in government at this moment would be a bad idea and could make things even worse.
    Who would be the best to represent us on the europe stage ,
    Martin?
    Gilmore?
    Kenny?
    Adams?
    Joe Higgins?
    Which one of them would stand up to europe with conviction ?

What about the finance minister?
    Lenihan?
    Noonan?
    Bruton?

Should we judge Irelands future on facts or promises made at election time ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Who is going to the General Election Canidates Forum in the Crowne Palza tonight at 8:00pm ?

All ten canidates have accepted the invites. So all you key board pundits can see the canidates up close and personel :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

I will be going, glad to see all 10 candidates will be present tonight. Should be a good debate, with Lenihan, Burton, Varadkar and Higgins dominating the proceedings. This debate will be crucial for who I will be giving first preference too. Can not wait for it, should be an interesting night.

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Who is going to the General Election Canidates Forum in the Crowne Palza tonight at 8:00pm ?

All ten canidates have accepted the invites. So all you key board pundits can see the canidates up close and personel :-)

Damn it talk about short notice, who organised this?

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Flimbos

Pat Dunne wrote: »

I can't make it unfortunately. Hope to read about it in this thread though!

Phoenix FM 92.5 will be broadcasting the debate live for anyone who can not make it tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

I'm here, waiting for it to kick off. Will drop a post in here every so often. There's a good turnout here.

They won't get many votes for their punctuality. All the big guns are here now so we should be ready to kick off soon.

Very interesting so far. Think Leo is put in front at the moment. Joan rolling her eyes while Paul Donnelly from SF talks :-)

• Advertisement

Finishing up now.

Arciphel wrote: »
    Very interesting so far. Think Leo is put in front at the moment. Joan rolling her eyes while Paul Donnelly from SF talks :-)

I think she has man issues.

Moment of the night has to be the Joan and Joe mix up. Joan showing she has a sense of humour.
    All candidates performed reasonably well, felt sorry for the Patrick, David and Kieran for getting left out at the start. Leo looked out in front at the start but really did not push on from there and let the others catch up to him. The independent Clemtine had a good start but then went fairly down hill from there (oil refinery in Dublin:confused:). Joe Higgins was typically well spoken without saying very much, always critical. Paul Donnelly comes across well as the man of the people, economics is not his strong point though. Roderic is ok but lacks a bit of personality, he made some valid points though. Lenihan looked tired at the start but gradually came into. Joan was tolerable to listen to and felt she expressed herself well. David and Paddy came into with a lot of energy and did well with only having a minute to speak. Kieran looks out of place and did not really seem that enthusiastic. While David and Patrick can distinguish themselves from their more senior party member, I do not think Kieran tries at all to be any different to Leo. He seems satisfied to be the number 2 candidate.
    Was surprised by the quite anti FG feeling in the room, a lot of attacks from the audience and the other candidates used that to their advantage.
    A good debate in all, some great questions from the audience. Felt a bit rushed, some of the questions should have got longer responses than 15 seconds. Cleared some things up for me, and feel I have better idea of how I will vote.

dtf wrote: »
    ....I think we have done OK in the last few years considering.....

Considering what? D.15 is bigger than some cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Sharrow wrote: »
    Damn it talk about short notice, who organised this?

Thats a pity, as I put a post on this well over a week ago and no one said a word http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70577335&postcount=214

To busy given out to one another :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

I know them both personally. Same primary school, Same community, three years apart but different parties.

But equally respected in that general area.

Polls wont do them justice. They will attract a younger vote.

gerryhorse wrote: »
    2vnrne1.jpg

I am a father of a kid in this photo attached. I’m affected by a loss of hours and increase in taxes but this young man did nothing on me. He has helped me with anti-social behavior with thanks to the community Gardi. I live in Mulhuddart and he is quite popular if not infamous as a school teacher here in Dublin 15.

I hate politics but I cannot allow people to knock this young man. He is trying his best and that’s what I want.

Here is a link to the football club’s website and they are extremely supportive and appreciative of him.

http://www.cordufffc.com/club-news/401/

Young Mr McGuinness getting some favourable mentions on this thread, mostly from new accounts though.

I would have thought that if this represented feedback from the campaign on the ground that it would begin to show up in the boards.ie vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Godge wrote: »
    Young Mr McGuinness getting some favourable mentions on this thread, mostly from new accounts though.

Given that the thread charter bans electioneering - it's a pity action hasn't been taken. One of the posters you quote only has 4 posts on boards.ie and all in this thread and pro a certain candidate? And none on any of the other D15 threads?

FF Litir Um Thoghacháin arrived today...waaay more information on it than the other parties..but it went straight into the recycling bin.

With 4 seats up for grabs in Dublin West...10 seems very very few candidates to be standing. There are 20-something running in Wicklow for 5 seats. My problem is that at the moment there are only 2 candidates I am happy for vote for, meaning I'm not using my vote fully. I just can't bring myself to put numbers beside the others.

Higgins would get a vote if he hadn't done what he did in 2009, but having been landed with an unelected councillor because Europe was the bigger prize, he won't. If he cared that much about the people of Dublin 15 he would never have run for Europe. So forgive me for not believing he wants to represent us now.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

athtrasna wrote: »
    Given that the thread charter bans electioneering - it's a pity action hasn't been taken. One of the posters you quote only has 4 posts on boards.ie and all in this thread and pro a certain candidate? And none on any of the other D15 threads?

I've had a closer look and banned that user for electioneering until after the election is over and deleted his posts. If you have any suspicions about posts please report them. We do rely on posters to help us, and that help is very much appreciated as it's not always possible for mods to read every post in every forum they mod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

athtrasna wrote: »

FF Litir Um Thoghacháin arrived today...waaay more information on it than the other parties..but it went straight into the recycling bin.

With 4 seats up for grabs in Dublin West...10 seems very very few candidates to be standing. There are 20-something running in Wicklow for 5 seats. My problem is that at the moment there are only 2 candidates I am happy for vote for, meaning I'm not using my vote fully. I just can't bring myself to put numbers beside the others.

Higgins would get a vote if he hadn't done what he did in 2009, but having been landed with an unelected councillor because Europe was the bigger prize, he won't. If he cared that much about the people of Dublin 15 he would never have run for Europe. So forgive me for not believing he wants to represent us now.

Share your view that it is difficult to find candidates to vote for. but will vote all the way down except FF because it is easy to find someone not to vote for. You might call it negative reverse voting but if I start by giving my lowest two preferences to FF and work backwards, it might be interesting where I end up with a number one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭dtf

Zaph wrote: »
    I've had a closer look and banned that user for electioneering until after the election is over and deleted his posts. If you have any suspicions about posts please report them. We do rely on posters to help us, and that help is very much appreciated as it's not always possible for mods to read every post in every forum they mod.

Is there any chance that you are going to ban any of the blatant anti-Fianna Fail posters too? It seems to me that the incidence of electioneering in favour of Fianna Fail candidates is minor when compared to the many obvious anti Fianna Fail posts

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement