Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin West General Election 2011 [Mod note post #218]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

I was on the Labour Facebook group yesterday and found this in the image gallery? I looked this morning and it is still there.

If you do not believe me, check it out on FB for yourself :eek:

2mxq5nl.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

dtf wrote: »
    Is there any chance that you are going to ban any of the blatant anti-Fianna Fail posters too? It seems to me that the incidence of electioneering in favour of Fianna Fail candidates is minor when compared to the many obvious anti Fianna Fail posts

don't know if you are referring to me.

However, the point I was making, if you read my post, was that it was curious that there were a number of new posters on this thread pushing Mr. McGuinness but that this support or groundswell was not reflected in either the boards.ie vote or around the constituency. The mods obviously noted this as well. In fairness, there is at least one longer-term poster campaigning steadily on this thread for him posting again this morning (futile in the long run if you ask me).

I don't see the anti-FF posters (who you may class me as one) as comparable. There is a definite anti-FF public opinion out there reflected in opinion polls showing the support as low as 10% in Dublin, satisfaction with the Government as low as 4%, numerous radio calls, numerous posts on messaged boards, numerous national and local opinion polls and also in the boards.ie vote.

The fact is FF have destroyed this great country and lots of people recognise this.

Godge wrote: »
    . In fairness, there is at least one longer-term poster campaigning steadily on this thread for him posting again this morning (futile in the long run if you ask me).

I can do/think/say/argue what ever I like as long as it's balanced and fair and not completely one sided and the mod's have surely checked back on me and they too agreed.

I can have any view I like.

Your problem is this - you hate that someone express's an alternative view to you. I know Fianna Fail are largely responsible for the mess this country is in, only a fool would say otherwise. Specifically the parliamentary party, cabinet etc. The majority of which haven't the bottle to face the electorate again and good riddance to them.

DAVID MCGUINNESS has had not hand, act or part but perhaps his running mate cannot say as much. I can think for myself and I am no sheep; I don't need to follow the consensus, narrative or opinion many people have.

PS: I hate RTE but I don't hate Charlie Bird ;) Don't throw out the baby with the bath water. YYYEEEEESSSSSS :D

I can do/think/say/argue what ever I like as long as it's balanced and fair and not completely one sided and the mod's have surely checked back on me and they too agreed.

I can have any view I like.

Your problem is this - you hate that someone express's an alternative view to you. I know Fianna Fail are largely responsible for the mess this country is in, only a fool would say otherwise. Specifically the parliamentary party, cabinet etc. The majority of which haven't the bottle to face the electorate again and good riddance to them.

DAVID MCGUINNESS has had not hand, act or part but perhaps his running mate cannot say as much. I can think for myself and I am no sheep; I don't need to follow the consensus, narrative or opinion many people have.

PS: I hate RTE but I don't hate Charlie Bird ;) Don't throw out the baby with the bath water. YYYEEEEESSSSSS :D

Don't have a problem with you at all. You are entitled to have any view you like. The issue I was raising was the sudden rush of support from the new posters. I mentioned you as an exception. I am entitled to my view that you are a bit like don quixote tilting at windmills but off you go.

As for the argument that David McGuinnes is not Brian Lenihan or a cabinet minister and therefore the rest of FF should be let off I would only say this:

Haughey, Burke, Flynn, Reynolds, Ahern, Cooper-Flynn, Lawlor, O'Dea, Cowen, Lenihan (and the father before him), numerous councillors, at what point do we draw the conclusion that it was the party that is responsible for producing these individuals who were either liars, incompetent or corrupt rather than just saying it was only that one or this one and one bad apple. In my opinion, the time has come to say enough of FF and no more letting the party off for the failings of so many of its individual components. Imagine saying that a car has no proper engine, no doors, steering wheel, seats or windows but has a really nice wing mirror so you should buy it. That is the same as saying FF is to blame for destroying the country but you should vote for David McGuinness as he is only young and new.

That is the same as saying FF is to blame for destroying the country but you should vote for David McGuinness as he is only young and new.

It is true, do you not agree that he had no part in this? I mean really?

OK the party are largely responsible for lack of governance and WILL NOT get back in to power of the foreseeable future; that we can both agree on.

Out of the whole of Dublin west we only have really two new candidates in to politics and no one on the radar following them (The new independent maybe another if he is around after the election). We should dismiss one of them so easily unless you have something on him other than the fact he is a member of FF. Being a member of FF is not illegal.

DmcG is not only young and new, but he has an exemplary reputation in Mulhuddart and Corduff without no political dynastic links at-all.

With that last point in mind, you mention (Haughey, Burke, Flynn, Reynolds, Ahern, Cooper-Flynn, Lawlor, O'Dea, Cowen, Lenihan (and the father before him), numerous councillors,)

They have all had the opposite back ground than that of David McGuinness.

In summary: Can a new breed of individual not have a genuine and positive contribution to politics? Must they be prejudged? Could you be wrong?

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

However, the point I was making, if you read my post, was that it was curious that there were a number of new posters on this thread pushing Mr. McGuinness but that this support or groundswell was not reflected in either the boards.ie vote or around the constituency. The mods obviously noted this as well. In fairness, there is at least one longer-term poster campaigning steadily on this thread for him posting again this morning (futile in the long run if you ask me).

I don't think it's fair to say what is or isn't being reflected around the constituency. I mean from what I've seen and heard from people I could say there's no support for Leo Varadkar in the constituency, but he's likely to win the first seat comfortably. Even the boards.ie vote doesn't accurately represent what's going on in the whole constituency. There's only been about 400 votes on it, compared to however many are eligible to vote in the constituency.

I don't think it's fair to say what is or isn't being reflected around the constituency. I mean from what I've seen and heard from people I could say there's no support for Leo Varadkar in the constituency, but he's likely to win the first seat comfortably. Even the boards.ie vote doesn't accurately represent what's going on in the whole constituency. There's only been about 400 votes on it, compared to however many are eligible to vote in the constituency.

Allot of people have told me from the Clonsilla, Coolmine, Roselawn area that this fella is arrogant.

That does not mean they will not vote for him but I haven't met one person that is voting for him.

The people who do vote for him will not be seen on boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

The people who do vote for him will not be seen on boards.ie

Not true. I will be voting for Leo, and Kieran. The reason is simple...I got my payslip last month and it was ravaged by the effects of the last budget. I am taking home less than what I was in 2006 despite "earning more". My standard of living has dropped no end and barely a day goes by when I don't worry about money.

I used to rate Burton...but the last few months she has gone down so much in my estimation. And as for Nulty, got a letter in the door a few weeks ago "your local candidate for Waterville" and my first reaction was "who the hell are you". I also think Labour are doing themselves untold damage this week with all these negative ads...

I've already said why I'm not voting for Joe, and the reasons for not voting FF or Greens are there in black and white on my payslip. SF economic policies make no sense...and with only an Independent I have never heard of left in the field...my vote has to go to FG.

Varadkar is confident, not cocky IMO. I've dealt with him a fair bit on Management Company stuff and he actually gets it because he lives in a managed development himself - as does a huge proportion of the electorate in D15. Dennison is quiet and humble from what I've seen.

This is not the election to vote locally, IMO, we need to vote nationally to save our country. I genuinely see FG as the best chance the country has. And while it may not be the easiest thing for me to do personally, I will be voting 1 & 2 FG.

If McGuinness is such a good man - what the hell is he doing in FF? Standing for the Party means he must be proud of his party. And how anyone can be proud of the legacy of last 11 years of FF led government is beyond me.

athtrasna wrote: »

If McGuinness is such a good man - what the hell is he doing in FF? Standing for the Party means he must be proud of his party. And how anyone can be proud of the legacy of last 11 years of FF led government is beyond me.

Great question.

Many people asked it. The answer was simple.

In 2008 there was only one opening and that was FF - Independent's in Dublin 15 never have and most likely never will get a foot hold.

FG, Labour and Sinn fein already had candidates and in most case's they had second individuals in place. FF did not when Margaret Richardson retired. This was an opportunity.

Why is this so important? Well, Joe Higgins and Joan Burton were both born in 1949 and will most likely not run in five years time, nor too will BL in my opinion. The two aforementioned have successors lined up in Ruth Coppinger and Patrick Nulty respectively while Dennison is there in case Varadkar decides to become a Doctor again :)

So, if you want in to politics and you want to be considered for election by the people, this was the strongest option no doubt.

ps: good discussion now thanks god.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭godscop

Not true. I will be voting for Leo, and Kieran. The reason is simple...I got my payslip last month and it was ravaged by the effects of the last budget. I am taking home less than what I was in 2006 despite "earning more". My standard of living has dropped no end and barely a day goes by when I don't worry about money.

I used to rate Burton...but the last few months she has gone down so much in my estimation. And as for Nulty, got a letter in the door a few weeks ago "your local candidate for Waterville" and my first reaction was "who the hell are you". I also think Labour are doing themselves untold damage this week with all these negative ads...

I've already said why I'm not voting for Joe, and the reasons for not voting FF or Greens are there in black and white on my payslip. SF economic policies make no sense...and with only an Independent I have never heard of left in the field...my vote has to go to FG.

Varadkar is confident, not cocky IMO. I've dealt with him a fair bit on Management Company stuff and he actually gets it because he lives in a managed development himself - as does a huge proportion of the electorate in D15. Dennison is quiet and humble from what I've seen.

This is not the election to vote locally, IMO, we need to vote nationally to save our country. I genuinely see FG as the best chance the country has. And while it may not be the easiest thing for me to do personally, I will be voting 1 & 2 FG.

Patrick Nulty has lived in Blanchardstown all his life. He lives in Greenridge Court. Its a couple of minutes walk to Waterville !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭dtf

I don't see the anti-FF posters (who you may class me as one) as comparable. There is a definite anti-FF public opinion out there reflected in opinion polls showing the support as low as 10% in Dublin, satisfaction with the Government as low as 4%, numerous radio calls, numerous posts on messaged boards, numerous national and local opinion polls and also in the boards.ie vote.

This is all true, and thankfully all are free to express this opinion. However my question refers to the fact that the pro Fianna Fail posters are being censored on the basis that they are only recently registered to boards.ie, which I think in the context of the General election is not altogether unusual as many are attracted to boards for the first time to discuss the election, however any of the longer established posters with very obvious anti Fianna Fail leanings are allowed continue posting.

Phantom FM right now :D

A candidate is on in 3 minutes. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭godscop

Phantom FM right now :D

A candidate is on in 3 minutes. :P
    Who's on ?

godscop wrote: »
    Who's on ?

Too late, it's over now.

godscop wrote: »
    Patrick Nulty has lived in Blanchardstown all his life. He lives in Greenridge Court. Its a couple of minutes walk to Waterville !

I gathered that from the address on the letter, but that doesn't mean that he has had anything to do with Waterville. I have lived in our cluster since it was built 7 years ago and this is the first I've heard of him. I've been actively involved in our own management company and the inter-development meetings within Waterville so if he was calling himself a Waterville candidate, he should have been around, but he wasn't.

This is all true, and thankfully all are free to express this opinion. However my question refers to the fact that the pro Fianna Fail posters are being censored on the basis that they are only recently registered to boards.ie, which I think in the context of the General election is not altogether unusual as many are attracted to boards for the first time to discuss the election, however any of the longer established posters with very obvious anti Fianna Fail leanings are allowed continue posting.

Surely if you want to discuss politics your first port of call would be politics.ie? Or even the politics forum on boards?

The red flag regarding some of the new posters is that the only thing they had posted on with all the boards fora was this thread. And obviously the only thing they care about in Dublin 15 is what a good job certain candidates are doing. The Dublin 15 board is surely a community board with a whole load of topics so why confine all their posts to this thread if they are genuinely community minded?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

But that's the same reaction all the candidates will get in different areas. Like I said before, if I didn't see Varadkar on RTE every other day I'd have no clue who he is, and as an actual elected representative of this constituency that's not a good thing. At least the newer candidates have less reason to be known to people outside where they live.

My main issue with all the anti FF stuff is that I feel that not being FF is not a good enough reason to vote for someone and I think that a lot of candidates, especially FG, seem to be running their campaigns on the idea that that is a good enough reason to vote for them. I find it insulting to our intelligence that they're not even trying to convince me why I should vote for them specifically and not just not vote for FF.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Is there any chance that you are going to ban any of the blatant anti-Fianna Fail posters too? It seems to me that the incidence of electioneering in favour of Fianna Fail candidates is minor when compared to the many obvious anti Fianna Fail posts

If you really believe that there is censorship at play here, you are welcome to contact the moderators by PM, or any of the admins (list is at the bottom of the forum front page) and we can review the moderation of this thread and decide if you have a case.
    Until then, do not question moderation any further in the thread, it's just disrupting the thread.

The time to introduce yourself to your neighbours is not three weeks before you want their vote IMO. Whatever about a Castleknock or a Swords candidate (if there was one) coming into the area, he only lives across the road! Yes that road is the dividing line between LEAs and so we wouldn't have had the option to vote for Nulty in the locals, but we have still worked with Coppinger and Dennison on issues affecting the general area, because they are the ones who answered the emails sent to all councillors in Castleknock and Mulhuddart.

And as for voting for FG because they are not FF - I'm voting FG because I've read their stuff, their jobs policies, their financial stuff and even their manifesto and IMO it's the best shot we have of getting our country back to work, and back to having a future. I am now an informed voter, because I have to be. Apathy in the past has helped bring us to our current position, this time we need to be informed and involved and think about the bigger picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭dtf

Gaspode wrote: »
    If you really believe that there is censorship at play here, you are welcome to contact the moderators by PM, or any of the admins (list is at the bottom of the forum front page) and we can review the moderation of this thread and decide if you have a case.
    Until then, do not question moderation any further in the thread, it's just disrupting the thread.

Of course there is censorship. A poster has just been banned for expressing an opinion in favour of a candidate. Rightly or wrongly that is censorship.

• Advertisement

Of course there is censorship. A poster has just been banned for expressing an opinion in favour of a candidate. Rightly or wrongly that is censorship.

What individual/poster was it.

Great question.

Many people asked it. The answer was simple.

In 2008 there was only one opening and that was FF - Independent's in Dublin 15 never have and most likely never will get a foot hold.

FG, Labour and Sinn fein already had candidates and in most case's they had second individuals in place. FF did not when Margaret Richardson retired. This was an opportunity.

Why is this so important? Well, Joe Higgins and Joan Burton were both born in 1949 and will most likely not run in five years time, nor too will BL in my opinion. The two aforementioned have successors lined up in Ruth Coppinger and Patrick Nulty respectively while Dennison is there in case Varadkar decides to become a Doctor again :)

So, if you want in to politics and you want to be considered for election by the people, this was the strongest option no doubt.

ps: good discussion now thanks god.

That is a very strange answer to the question.

In effect what you are saying is that if you are in politics to promote yourself you look for where the vacancy is regardless of the policies or ideas.

However, most of those who get involved in politics are there for the ideas or the policies and therefore don't take into consideration who is ahead of them in the line or where the opportunity is. There are plenty of other ways to help the community, the country or your political party of choice if there are already excellent candidates from your party in place in your constituency.

It goes without saying that the person who is in politics to advance themselves is more likely to change with the wind and forget where they came from. Maybe McGuinness is well suited to FF. Remember Bertie Ahern had one aspiration in life - to become Taoiseach. He had no idea or vision of what he wanted to do when he got there. One thing that makes me very wary of those who look like they would run for any party.

P.S. You have probably moved Lenihan ahead of McGuinness in my bottom two preferences now. Lenihan might have been the most incompetent finance minister ever but I think his health problems show he wasn't in politics just for the power or the opportunity to run for office.

That is a very strange answer to the question.

In effect what you are saying is that if you are in politics to promote yourself you look for where the vacancy is regardless of the policies or ideas (No you said that, I stated it may be as simple as that).

However, most of those who get involved in politics are there for the ideas or the policies and therefore don't take into consideration who is ahead of them in the line or where the opportunity is. There are plenty of other ways to help the community, the country or your political party of choice if there are already excellent candidates from your party in place in your constituency (What if someone simple want's to run for election and put their name forward to the public? Yes there are many ways to contribute but there is also running for election).

It goes without saying that the person who is in politics to advance themselves is more likely to change with the wind and forget where they came from (I doubt he will ever forget he is from Corduff :P). Maybe McGuinness is well suited to FF (maybe maybe's). Remember Bertie Ahern had one aspiration in life - to become Taoiseach. He had no idea or vision of what he wanted to do when he got there (Bertie Ahern was always a creep in my book). One thing that makes me very wary of those who look like they would run for any party (That's your assumption based on my answer and has no basis in fact, however the community voice has it on record as to how he actually got in to politics, you took the hook line and sink).

P.S. You have probably moved Lenihan ahead of McGuinness in my bottom two preferences now. Lenihan might have been the most incompetent finance minister ever but I think his health problems show he wasn't in politics just for the power or the opportunity to run for office.
    (Meanwhile back on planet earth.......)

IN EFFECT in your little head.

Godge you interpret every answer in to your single minded and narrow minded way way of thinking. I simply gave an answer based on logic and not on principal, policy or any other motive.

One of the most effective means that an individual can serve their country is to put them selves forward for election. Perhap dmcg fully supports the policy set out by FF? Listening on Phantom FM today he certainly does subscribe to his party leaders position totally.

Did you read the community voice during the local elections? If so, research on google. You will find dmcg got in to politics whilst working as a volunteer at election time under local and long time councillor Margaret Richardson, but you would not know that because you are ill informed or not informed at all, in fact you must not have paid much attention in the locals at-all, while I did ;)

What I stated in my previous post was my personal opinion from the outside in, keeping in mind I am aligned with no party what so ever.

You on the other hand see the negative in every situation/opportunity. You are a knocker and you will knock anything that does not sit right with you.

Any answer provided to you will result in more questions and more assumptions until it fits your pre-set opinion.

Here is a tip for you that I have recommended to others. Phone the candidate or candidates that you have issue with. It really is that simple.

PEACE OUT. :P XXXXXXX

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

And as for voting for FG because they are not FF - I'm voting FG because I've read their stuff, their jobs policies, their financial stuff and even their manifesto and IMO it's the best shot we have of getting our country back to work, and back to having a future. I am now an informed voter, because I have to be. Apathy in the past has helped bring us to our current position, this time we need to be informed and involved and think about the bigger picture.

I am interested in knowing which FG policies have convinced you to go this way.

Interesting enough I take the opposite view, from what I have read of the FG policies

FG have proposed to raise the VAT rate by a further 2% (killing off any recovery in the retail trade).

FG also want to cut children's allowance by 7.5%.

FG want to impose water charges on all domestic users.

Their proposal to sell of the state assets including the ESB, the Ports and Forestry is seriously questionable, (even the Tory’s in the UK have baulked at this one).

Their future treatment of the banks seems to no different to Fianna Fail's and certainly their handling of the banking crisis in the past was highly questionable to say the least.

I would find it impossible to support any party that wanted this!

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭richardjjd

What's surprised me is the last of canvassing - I live in Tyrrelstown and while we've had lots of leaflet drops, not one candidate, or representative, has knocked on the door yet. I tweeted each of the candidates inviting them to visit (politely!). Leo Varadkar and Joan Burton were the only two to respond: both said they had crews here over the past two weeks. Joan Burton said that she'd definitely be in Tyrrelstown before the 25th.

Are other parts of the constituency having the same experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

WoodVale, Whitestown, Sheepmore and WillowWood have not had any canvasser or candidates so far.

Sharrow wrote: »
    WoodVale, Whitestown, Sheepmore and WillowWood have not had any canvasser or candidates so far.

You are wrong about this area as I myself live here and those two have been and so too has Whitechapel. Yes, by DMCG (his girlfirend lives in whitestown).

You must have been out or hiding, ;)

I can tell you too that Donnelly has also covered here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Nope being a stay at home Mam I've been home and there hasn't been any canvassers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Sharrow wrote: »
    Nope being a stay at home Mam I've been home and there hasn't been any canvassers.
    My parents are in Willow Wood and they have had 2 different parties knock on their door. SP and FG I think they told me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Specially for Godge and chucknorris, a little reminder: Dont get sucked down to the lower levels.

picture.php?albumid=56&pictureid=3813

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement