Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin West General Election 2011 [Mod note post #218]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Also anyone know what the deal is with the posters up on ESB pylons?

5476174453_a117acc58c_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

Sharrow wrote: »

HAZARD.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Shock tactics. LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭dirtynosebeps

PS: The new Facebook counter on the elections is on 61,000 votes. Impressive.
    122,104 and rising very fast.

RTE Radio 1 announced on twitter that Lenhian has been returned.

• Advertisement

TEdublinWEST All 118 boxes open in #dubw. Tallies Burton on 22.8%, Varadkar 19.6%, Higgins 18.9%, Lenihan 15.3%, Dennison (FG) 7.6% #ge11

• Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭ongarite

TEdublinWEST All 118 boxes open in #dubw. Tallies Burton on 22.8%, Varadkar 19.6%, Higgins 18.9%, Lenihan 15.3%, Dennison (FG) 7.6% #ge11

Looks like no drama or excitement based on those numbers.
    All the top 4 candidates will comfortably get a seat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

ongarite wrote: »
    Looks like no drama or excitement based on those numbers.
    All the top 4 candidates will comfortably get a seat.

Yes, tallies suggest that Dennison is too far from Lenihan to pass him as others get eliminated or donate surpluses. In order:

Burton
    Varadkar
    Higgins
    Lenihan
    Dennison
    Nulty
    Donnelly

not sure of order after that. Did O'Gorman tally ahead of McGuinness?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

Godge wrote: »

not sure of order after that. Did O'Gorman tally ahead of McGuinness?

so far yes, 1.5 - 1.3. chucknorris lost early!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

McGuinness tallied 1.6% ahead of O'Gorman.

• Advertisement

burton elected on first count. i'm glad to see voters using common sense in that F.G. wont be a single party government.
    also on a good note. turn out was 82.3%. i must applaud everyone that used their constitutional right to vote. well done.
    p.s. it was really funny watching this live as the returning officer left out varadkar till it was brought to his attention.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Slightly dissapointed we didn't get a more exciting result :D It's basically as you were.
    Still, I think it's good that there's 4 different parties there. Seems a good representation.

As for those Sinn Fein posters on the pylons, that's illegal. You're not allowed put posters on traffic signs, or anything like phone poles or electricity poles. Basically you can put them on lamp posts and they're supposed to be a certain height above the ground.

So basically about 90% of posters in Dublin West are illegal.

Lenihan/McGuinness have 7044.

There are 10,000 other spare votes (not needed to elect Varadkar or Higgins) between Burton surplus, Dennison, Donnelly, Nulty, O'Gorman, Ess?. There would have to be a 70% transfer rate to one of Nulty/Dennison to deny Lenihan. That is extremely unlikely to happen as not everyone will have voted all the way down the list.

Dreadful performance by McGuinness, made no impact at all, vote of 623 reflects family, friends, neighbours and party members.

I'm not a massive fan of Joan but I'm delighted she topped the poll over Varadkar. <SNIP>that he is.

I'm not a massive fan of Joan but I'm delighted she topped the poll over Varadkar. <SNIP>that he is.
    couldn't agree more, i'm sure he thought he was gods gift to all the local voters. maybe this will be a wake up call for him. i'll also like to add , if you all thought F.F. were bad you aint seen nothing yet. mark my words and remember i told you so in a year or so.
    turnout revised downwards to 68.5%. blame the national broadcaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

. i'll also like to add , if you all thought F.F. were bad you aint seen nothing yet. mark my words and remember i told you so in a year or so.

What does the above mean?

Care to enlarge on your "theories" above.

You've just said a few soundbites (even though you could barely call them that) that gives no information whatsoever.

What are you saying exactly?

couldn't agree more, i'm sure he thought he was gods gift to all the local voters. maybe this will be a wake up call for him. i'll also like to add , if you all thought F.F. were bad you aint seen nothing yet. mark my words and remember i told you so in a year or so.

I agree on both points. I personally feel that FG ignored certain areas of Dublin West completely during this campaign. Clearly under the impression that they'd have enough support to get in without having to bother about some areas.

As far as FG being in power, I agree it'll be worse than FF. I expect half my family to be out of work in a few months once they get their hands on the civil service. More will be affected once they abolish the HSE.
    As is always the case there will be some people that will be quite happy with what the government are doing because it's not affecting them directly. I for one am depressed and pretty anxious over what's going to happen to me and my extended family once FG start swinging the axe.
    I hope that in 6 months to a year when things aren't any better than they are now, and in some cases will be worse, I hope everyone who voted for FG because they wanted to punish FF will remember that, and will have no right to complain.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I agree with the sentiments about Varadkar. I always have the impression that he doesn't actually care about the constituency, but rather that he's looking at the bigger picture as a future FG leader and possibly Taoiseach. He knows has to get elected somewhere, but representing the constituency is an inconvenience for him and he's more interested in getting his face on tv.

Varadkar elected on the second count

Zaph wrote: »
    I agree with the sentiments about Varadkar. I always have the impression that he doesn't actually care about the constituency, but rather that he's looking at the bigger picture as a future FG leader and possibly Taoiseach. He knows has to get elected somewhere, but representing the constituency is an inconvenience for him and he's more interested in getting his face on tv.

I heard a story that a few of the estates around where he actually lives wanted to get ramps put in on the road up to Tescos to stop people from speeding. They went to Varadkar thinking he'd help them get it done and he basically told them there was no need for it and wouldn't do it.

Now if you look at practically every other estate in West Dublin where there's a through road there's ramps on them because the local people asked for them. Not in Roselawn though. And if he doesn't care about what his own neighbours want how can we be expected to believe that he gives a stuff about people in Whitestown or Corduff or Tyrrelstown or anywhere in the constituency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

I heard a story that a few of the estates around where he actually lives wanted to get ramps put in on the road up to Tescos to stop people from speeding. They went to Varadkar thinking he'd help them get it done and he basically told them there was no need for it and wouldn't do it.

Now if you look at practically every other estate in West Dublin where there's a through road there's ramps on them because the local people asked for them. Not in Roselawn though. And if he doesn't care about what his own neighbours want how can we be expected to believe that he gives a stuff about people in Whitestown or Corduff or Tyrrelstown or anywhere in the constituency.

Eh, well we have ramps on the Roselawn Road (where Tesco is located) already so your story is fiction. We also have speed restriction things on Delwood Road cause people in Delwood and Brompton (beside Tesco) don't want ramps.

You may have heard from other people, but it is complete nonsense and just mud-slinging without any credibility.

Also, if he does not care about his own neighbours, he would not get the votes. He has and I bet if you look at these areas, their number ones would mostly be to Leo. He is extremely popular in the local area, which is reflected in the voting. Look at the facts before you listen to stories.

Do you know the area at all? There ARE speed ramps on the Roselawn Road.

This story has no substance whatsoever.

Do you know the area at all? There ARE speed ramps on the Roselawn Road.

This story has no substance whatsoever.

There aren't any on the road from the Clonsilla road are there? I know there's ones on the road in from the Castleknock road.

Anyway, I heard it from someone who lives up that way. I apologise if there's no truth in it, but the person I heard it from has no reason to make up stories about Varadkar.

Anyway, even if that particular story isn't true, it doesn't change the fact that FG didn't bother to even leaflet some areas and that Varadkar has been virtually anonymous as a TD in the majority of Dublin West since his last election to the Dail.

and over 6,500 people gave Lenihan a number 1, I have to admit I am shocked by that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

There aren't any on the road from the Clonsilla road are there? I know there's ones on the road in from the Castleknock road.

Anyway, I heard it from someone who lives up that way. I apologise if there's no truth in it, but the person I heard it from has no reason to make up stories about Varadkar.

Anyway, even if that particular story isn't true, it doesn't change the fact that FG didn't bother to even leaflet some areas and that Varadkar has been virtually anonymous as a TD in the majority of Dublin West since his last election to the Dail.

Okay, well at least you admit it is not true. Eh, it obviously does change the facts. You can't use a false story to back up your point ;)

Varadkar has been very prominent since the last election, locally and nationally. We are pretty unique as each of our TDs and even Joe Higgins have very big profiles and none of them have been anonymous.

I think you have quite the bias against Leo, and it is pretty obvious as you used a false story against him and even with it being pointed out that is not true, you maintain your stance. None of what you say is reflected in voting numbers and facts, just "stories" and your opinion.

Have a think about this "story".

Could you really see a politician giving an outright no to a potential voter be cause he thought there was "no need for them".

No politician would do this. They may not get the job done but they would tell the constituent that they would try assist them with their issue.

Again I reiterate - no substance to this story.

Joe Higgins elected on the third count. Lenihan looking fairly safe for the last seat.

Who did you ask up that way? Was is the Varadkar family who live along the exact part of the road you mention, where his dad is a GP who retired in the last year? Sounds like you made it up to be honest. One possibility is it is a neighbour who doesn't like the Varadkars or didn't like the cars over the years visiting the GP practice and made up the story.

zaph you know my sentiments on this guy, so much so it got a me a yellow card to which i've no regrets, right i could've been worded better but whats done is done.
    this guy came knocking on my door re. speed ramps in my estate just before christmas. a while back i mailed him asking him about the outcome. he denied knowing anything about this and referred to a request from years back until i reminded him of our conversation. he then said in the end that not enough people wanted them. T.B.H. i dont think he does enough for the area, most things seem to be half hearted in that he tried his best.
    here's his reply to my original mail.
    "Thank you for your e-mail. Traffic calming has not been approved for Castleknock .... There was a scheme back in 2003 for the Rise, Grange, Drive etc. but it did not meet with sufficient support from residents. There was a lot of division. Some people wanted ramps, others did not, some wanted the ...... closed off at the ......., people in neighbouring estates did not. The council has not pursued it since then and won’t until residents get together and agree on a plan that a clear majority of residents will support."
    then when i reminded him of his visit before christmas.
    "Understood. We got a fairly favourable response to survey (2/3 or more) but we still have a lot of gaps to fill in as very few actually came back to us."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭thomasj

Well in fairness can't the same be said of lenehan? (in terms of community v national)

Joan was my number 1 preference, at least she was active in some way in Dublin 15

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement