Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin West General Election 2011 [Mod note post #218]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

thomasj wrote: »
    Well in fairness can't the same be said of lenehan? (in terms of community v national)

Joan was my number 1 preference, at least she was active in some way in Dublin 15

I totally agree that Lenihan is the same, but we all knew what to expect from him. Varadkar gets a lot of positive press, both here and in the national media, but to me he always comes across as being completely self-serving. I trust him about as much as I trust Lenihan.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Okay, well at least you admit it is not true. Eh, it obviously does change the facts. You can't use a false story to back up your point ;)

Varadkar has been very prominent since the last election, locally and nationally. We are pretty unique as each of our TDs and even Joe Higgins have very big profiles and none of them have been anonymous.

I think you have quite the bias against Leo, and it is pretty obvious as you used a false story against him and even with it being pointed out that is not true, you maintain your stance. None of what you say is reflected in voting numbers and facts, just "stories" and your opinion.

The fact that the story may not be true only proves my statement about him not caring about his neighbours is not right. I said in my second comment that it doesn't change the fact that he and FG did not even bother to leaflet certain areas of Dublin West. They clearly felt that some areas weren't worth them bothering about. As someone in one of these areas is it any wonder that I may have a biased view towards him?
    I pointed out a few weeks ago that of the 3 TD's for Dublin West in the last government I had never heard of Varadkar do a single thing for my area. I also pointed out that this is probably true for all areas of one or another of the TD's.
    I don't want to say where I live, but I can say that Bruton and Lenihan have both been active in getting things done in my area whereas Varadkar has been practically invisible since the last election, other than his constant appearances on the TV.

So, the story I told may not be true, and I hold my hands up to that, but it does not change the FACT that in some areas Varadkar has done nothing over the last 5 years, and did nothing to even try to win our votes this time around.

Also the fact that Joan Burton topped the polls in Dublin West proves that Varadkar isn't as popular in the entire constituency as he may be in Roselawn or Clonsilla.

Also, you accuse me of being biased towards him, but given your praise of him you could be accused of being biased towards him too. Just because you're being positive about him doesn't make it unbiased.

Godge wrote: »
    Who did you ask up that way? Was is the Varadkar family who live along the exact part of the road you mention, where his dad is a GP who retired in the last year? Sounds like you made it up to be honest. One possibility is it is a neighbour who doesn't like the Varadkars or didn't like the cars over the years visiting the GP practice and made up the story.

I'm not going to name names here, and I've already said that there may be no truth in it, but I had no reason to doubt the person that told me. I've apologised if it is a made up story, but as I pointed out that doesn't change the fact that he's been practically invisible in a lot of areas in Dublin West and that FG as a whole made no effort whatsoever to win votes in some areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

The fact that the story may not be true only proves my statement about him not caring about his neighbours is not right. I said in my second comment that it doesn't change the fact that he and FG did not even bother to leaflet certain areas of Dublin West. They clearly felt that some areas weren't worth them bothering about. As someone in one of these areas is it any wonder that I may have a biased view towards him?
    I pointed out a few weeks ago that of the 3 TD's for Dublin West in the last government I had never heard of Varadkar do a single thing for my area. I also pointed out that this is probably true for all areas of one or another of the TD's.
    I don't want to say where I live, but I can say that Bruton and Lenihan have both been active in getting things done in my area whereas Varadkar has been practically invisible since the last election, other than his constant appearances on the TV.

So, the story I told may not be true, and I hold my hands up to that, but it does not change the FACT that in some areas Varadkar has done nothing over the last 5 years, and did nothing to even try to win our votes this time around.

Also the fact that Joan Burton topped the polls in Dublin West proves that Varadkar isn't as popular in the entire constituency as he may be in Roselawn or Clonsilla.

Also, you accuse me of being biased towards him, but given your praise of him you could be accused of being biased towards him too. Just because you're being positive about him doesn't make it unbiased.

Well have you asked him or sent an email asking what he done in your area? Since I don't know where you live, I can't say whether he has or has not, so have you asked?

Leaflets and knocking on doors is not a reflection on work done, that goes for all politicians. Some of the cutest hoors in politics are experts are doing that but doing very little otherwise.

As for certain areas in D15, well, having grown up in and lived in many parts of D15, I can say that there are some estates where people assume they are entitled to everything, pay little or no tax, get everything handed to them on the plate and scrounge for life. So yeah, I can imagine someone who is expecting people to work and contribute would not be very welcome or popular there.

As for certain areas in D15, well, having grown up in and lived in many parts of D15, I can say that there are some estates where people assume they are entitled to everything, pay little or no tax, get everything handed to them on the plate and scrounge for life. So yeah, I can imagine someone who is expecting people to work and contribute would not be very welcome or popular there.

Wow, I can see why you're such a big fan of Varadkar now. Well done.

• Advertisement

Well, not really

Well have you asked him or sent an email asking what he done in your area? Since I don't know where you live, I can't say whether he has or has not, so have you asked?

I have done my research for this election yes. I know who's been active and who hasn't.
    Leaflets and knocking on doors is not a reflection on work done, that goes for all politicians. Some of the cutest hoors in politics are experts are doing that but doing very little otherwise.

My points about lack of canvassing by FG was in relation to the campaign run for this election. I did not imply that his lack of effort now was in anyway related to his previous lack of effort while he's been a TD.

You're basically saying there that people in certain areas of D15 are all the same. If I live in a certain area that must mean I pay for nothing and get everything given to me? And as such I'm not worthy of Leo Varadkar or FG's time?
    I have worked since I was 16, as have my brothers and sisters. My parents have worked and payed tax for the last 40 years. We pay our bin charges, our mortgage, we pay every single tax that has been placed on us, we get no help from anyone. I wasn't entitled to any grants for 3rd level, we're not entitled to medical cards or any other social welfare help. Not one of us has ever claimed a penny from social welfare. We are not scroungers. To assume that just because I may live in a certain area means I'm a certain way is offensive and ignorant on your part.
    Also, to imply he wouldn't be welcome or popular somewhere like that is offensive too. You think that we're not smart enough to look at the party policies and the individuals records and come to our own conclusions?

That said we may soon have to start claiming benefits because once FG start swinging their axe half of my family are going to be out of their jobs.

Lastly, I think you're taking this all a little too personally. You like Leo, good for you. Not everyone does though, and having an opinion on him that differs from yours does not make me wrong, it does not make me a scrounger and it doesn't warrant this much discussion, especially at this point in time when our opinions don't matter anymore.

You're basically saying there that people in certain areas of D15 are all the same. If I live in a certain area that must mean I pay for nothing and get everything given to me? And as such I'm not worthy of Leo Varadkar or FG's time?
    I have worked since I was 16, as have my brothers and sisters. My parents have worked and payed tax for the last 40 years. We pay our bin charges, our mortgage, we pay every single tax that has been placed on us, we get no help from anyone. I wasn't entitled to any grants for 3rd level, we're not entitled to medical cards or any other social welfare help. Not one of us has ever claimed a penny from social welfare. We are not scroungers. To assume that just because I may live in a certain area means I'm a certain way is offensive and ignorant on your part.
    :confused: A lot of info there. Relax, I never assumed anything about your taxes or job or whatever, read my post, so need for the family history. Save the outrage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

Probably the same reason I am - Varadkar is an enemy of those who suffer from a genetic predisposition to unemployment. I grew up in a disadvantaged area of West Dublin and there are many people there who suffer from this terrible affliction. Cocky or not, Varadkar oozes competence, and by comparison with whomever is wielding the Irish flag on behalf of SF this time, or that blatant liar and marxist Joe Higgins, he is in my eyes someone who can really change these places for the better.

:confused: A lot of info there. Relax, I never assumed anything about your taxes or job or whatever, read my post, so need for the family history. Save the outrage.

Why did you feel the need to mention "certain areas of D15" if that's not what you were implying?

You know what, never mind. This is a pointless exercise, especially now the election is over.

Line drawn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭dirtynosebeps

genericguy wrote: »
    Probably the same reason I am - Varadkar is an enemy of those who suffer from a genetic predisposition to unemployment. I grew up in a disadvantaged area of West Dublin and there are many people there who suffer from this terrible affliction. Cocky or not, Varadkar oozes competence.
    while i have no time for either F.F. or F.G. ,as the saying goes " better the devil you know than you dont". i totally disagree with your statement on varadkar being competent. but thats my own personal opinon to which i'm entitled to.
    anyone one can offer the sun,moon and stars to get your vote but at the end of the day it's what's delivered that counts. F.G. only have their own agenda at heart. i have seen these broken promises and lies before and i can tell you here and now what F.G. have promised and what they will deliver will be two completely different things. even before i cast my vote yesterday i was blantantly lied to by varadkar. what they say in their manafesto and what they will deliver will be completely different , joe public will fall for it and by then it will be to late. what i mean by this is their 5 point plan. they will make major changes and tell you " but that was part of the manafesto ,you must've read it wrong or misundertood what they actually meant". again i say come back here in a year or so and tell me i was wrong, t.b.h. i wish you would but that wont happen.
    part of the health programme is they want to introduce a system similar to the dutch. up until recent days this has been proven to be very costly , in-effective and ill-advised.
    F.G. 2011 manafesto
    http://www.finegael2011.com/pdf/Fine%20Gael%20Manifesto%20low-res.pdf
    Public Transport
    Nationwide Bus Competition: We will completely overhaul the bus market in Ireland by introducing competitive tendering for all bus routes in the country as soon as practicably possible. More operators will provide more routes and services to the public and at a cheaper cost to the taxpayer and passenger.
    Definition of privatisation.
    changing something from state to private ownership or control

paddy power here i come ;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

Public Transport
    Nationwide Bus Competition: We will completely overhaul the bus market in Ireland by introducing competitive tendering for all bus routes in the country as soon as practicably possible. More operators will provide more routes and services to the public and at a cheaper cost to the taxpayer and passenger.
    Definition of privatisation.
    changing something from state to private ownership or control

Privatisation of these services is what we need. And the Dutch health system works. It's expensive to implement, but it works. The HSE costs us {SNIP} every single year, and it doesn't work. Your gripe makes no sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Zaph wrote: »
    I agree with the sentiments about Varadkar. I always have the impression that he doesn't actually care about the constituency, but rather that he's looking at the bigger picture as a future FG leader and possibly Taoiseach. He knows has to get elected somewhere, but representing the constituency is an inconvenience for him and he's more interested in getting his face on tv.
    Zaph wrote: »
    ....Varadkar gets a lot of positive press, both here and in the national media, but to me he always comes across as being completely self-serving. I trust him about as much as I trust Lenihan.

Same here.

My general opinion is that, Varadkar will do whats best for him, regardless of who else it effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭dirtynosebeps

genericguy wrote: »
    Privatisation of these services is what we need. And the Dutch health system works. It's expensive to implement, but it works. The HSE costs us our <snip> every single year, and it doesn't work. Your gripe makes no sense.
    not yet it doesn't but it will when they raise our taxes to pay for these. i agree the H.S.E. needs a major over haul but i dont think any party has done their homework on the cost factor. it's great putting things on paper but actually delivering in a cost effective way will be completely different.

I can't say I'm familiar with the Dutch health system but I know in Canada everyone has "free health care" regardless of income. However, they have to pay massive taxes to cover this, which would again boil down to the people that actually work paying for those that don't.

At the end of the day we have no money. Anything that is going to cost money to implement is going to mean taking money from somewhere else.
    They say they'll save money by streamlining the civil service to the tune of 30,000 jobs. OK, now their wage bill isn't as big, but that's 30,000 people no longer paying tax, and a large proportion of them will probably have to claim unemployment to tide them over until these jobs that they promised us are created. Those that don't sign on will probably emigrate and be paying their taxes to someone else's government.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

I'm not a massive fan of Joan but I'm delighted she topped the poll over Varadkar. <SNIP>that he is.

It would crack me up if Kenny got his own back on Leo now ;)

Sharrow wrote: »
    and over 6,500 people gave Lenihan a number 1, I have to admit I am shocked by that.

He got a few from us and Clement the 2 :)

thomasj wrote: »
    Well in fairness can't the same be said of lenehan? (in terms of community v national)

Joan was my number 1 preference, at least she was active in some way in Dublin 15

I disagree, Lenihan has played his part in the area and would help you to the best of his ability considering he had a tough job as the finance minister as well.

All Higgins has done is swap and change where he wants to stand and chased a few bin trucks.

I havent seen Joan in my area but have heard that she has worked hard for people.

Leo in my opinion is all about Leo and is trying to get to the top as quick as possible and only cares about the castlenock areas . I remember years ago that the D15 community council went to the councillors etc about local issues and Leo came out when he was looking to be elected and made out that those issues was his . I havent seen or heard of him doing anything of worth for anyone in D15 but that doesnt say that he hasnt.

It would crack me up if Kenny got his own back on Leo now ;)

Was Leo one of the rogues that tried to oust him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Theres a difference between making noise and actually getting things done.

• Advertisement

Was Leo one of the rogues that tried to oust him?

Not just one but the ringleader ;) Leo is only Loyal to himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

I disagree, Lenihan has played his part in the area and would help you to the best of his ability considering he had a tough job as the finance minister as well.

All Higgins has done is swap and change where he wants to stand and chased a few bin trucks.

I havent seen Joan in my area but have heard that she has worked hard for people.

Leo in my opinion is all about Leo and is trying to get to the top as quick as possible and only cares about the castlenock areas . I remember years ago that the D15 community council went to the councillors etc about local issues and Leo came out when he was looking to be elected and made out that those issues was his . I havent seen or heard of him doing anything of worth for anyone in D15 but that doesnt say that he hasnt.

Everything panned out as expected.

Joan topped the poll, Leo had ago at vote management (fairly good one too), Higgins as I predicted Thursday had a major surge prior to the election and Lenihan got the fourth seat as expected.

If Joan worked closer with Nulty he may have threatened Lenihan but I know on good account they didn't run in any way together, Joan was opposed to Nulty being on the ticket and she wanted to top the poll outright. That's politics.

Sinn Fein will be disappointed as their vote is static. They did expect a surge here but when you compare to the LEA 09, there is no change. Charlie Maples and Paul Donnelly combined achieved a combined 2001 first preferences between and Castleknock and Mulhuddart. This time out Paul reached 2597 number 1's across Dublinwest.

FF support plummeted as expected everywhere and also in Dublinwest but with the addition of the fourth seat, Lenihan was always ok. He got the FF core vote which is still relatively strong while DmcG for a personal vote of around 630.

Looking to the future, both Nulty and McGuinness have ran in a general election and will now have their name know outside of Mulhuddart ward. As long as the socialists exist, Sinn Fein will not get a foot hold at-all. Dennison polled very well as too did Nulty. Their parties are riding the crest of a wave but the next year or two for their parties in government will determine how well they maintain that popular vote in Dublinwest.

Five years time, or maybe even three will be very interesting when the next general election occurs. This will change from the most predictable constituency to the most interesting.

Expect to see the dog fight then between Dennison, Nulty, Coppinger, McGuinness, Donnelly.

Varadkar, Lenihan/s will dominate here for quite some time.

PS: Michael D for president ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Everything panned out as expected.

Joan topped the poll, Leo had ago at vote management (fairly good one too), Higgins as I predicted Thursday had a major surge prior to the election and Lenihan got the fourth seat as expected.

If Joan worked closer with Nulty he may have threatened Lenihan but I know on good account they didn't run in any way together, Joan was opposed to Nulty being on the ticket and she wanted to top the poll outright. That's politics.

Sinn Fein will be disappointed as their vote is static. They did expect a surge here but when you compare to the LEA 09, there is no change. Charlie Maples and Paul Donnelly combined achieved a combined 2001 first preferences between and Castleknock and Mulhuddart. This time out Paul reached 2597 number 1's across Dublinwest.

FF support plummeted as expected everywhere and also in Dublinwest but with the addition of the fourth seat, Lenihan was always ok. He got the FF core vote which is still relatively strong while DmcG for a personal vote of around 630.

Looking to the future, both Nulty and McGuinness have ran in a general election and will now have their name know outside of Mulhuddart ward. As long as the socialists exist, Sinn Fein will not get a foot hold at-all. Dennison polled very well as too did Nulty. Their parties are riding the crest of a wave but the next year or two for their parties in government will determine how well they maintain that popular vote in Dublinwest.

Five years time, or maybe even three will be very interesting when the next general election occurs. This will change from the most predictable constituency to the most interesting.

Expect to see the dog fight then between Dennison, Nulty, Coppinger, McGuinness, Donnelly.

Varadkar, Lenihan/s will dominate here for quite some time.

PS: Michael D for president ;)

Agree with a lot of what you say. However, don't expect to see McGuinness on a FF general election ticket again. His vote was too low and too localised. For example, if Lenihan was to retire on health grounds before the next election, you would expect a defeated candidate from a nearby constituency to be parachuted in for the by-election e.g. Conor to take the brother's seat or John Curran.

If there is a general election and Lenihan runs again, he will be the only candidate. If he doesn't run, it will have to be a high-profile candidate with a national profile to keep the only seat in Dublin. If it isn't someone from outside, it will be someone from the Castleknock end of the constituency where Lenihan's votes are based.

No reflection on McGuinness but he is no Brian Lenihan and would not appeal to Lenihan voters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

Godge wrote: »
    Agree with a lot of what you say. However, don't expect to see McGuinness on a FF general election ticket again. His vote was too low and too localised. For example, if Lenihan was to retire on health grounds before the next election, you would expect a defeated candidate from a nearby constituency to be parachuted in for the by-election e.g. Conor to take the brother's seat or John Curran.

If there is a general election and Lenihan runs again, he will be the only candidate. If he doesn't run, it will have to be a high-profile candidate with a national profile to keep the only seat in Dublin. If it isn't someone from outside, it will be someone from the Castleknock end of the constituency where Lenihan's votes are based.

No reflection on McGuinness but he is no Brian Lenihan and would not appeal to Lenihan voters.

I agree 100%.

I suspect if BL were to take ill he will be replaced by Conor Lenihan, in fact CL was interviewed Saturday on rte 1 and said he would be prepared to run again so I'd say that's obvious.

Regards DmcG - there is mention on rte radio 1 yesterday afternoon that FF may consider new fresh faces with no relationship to the past to be entered to the Seanad. I don't know if he will be included in that but he is the youngest party councillor and will be in the council for another three years at least.

Plenty of time I would say to build a backing and who knows what the future holds.

With Joe having secured a euro seat for his party and now a Dail seat, should there be a by-election here for his euro seat? I think for him to nominate an un-elected person to take his euro seat is wrong . I voted for him in the euro elections as he was the best out of a bad bunch in my opinion then so it looks like a wasted vote and two fingers up to those who voted for him then. Is it un-democratic ? isnt that what the socialist are against? Sinn Fein did the same in the local election a while back when they replaced the elected candidate with a person of their choice.

As for the election, Brian was lucky that the area changed to 4 seats from 3. Still too many, 2 TD's would be enough for the Dublin West constituancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

2 TD's would be enough for the Dublin West constituancy.

Why do you say that Stu? We have the same population as Limerick city, sure he should have a minimum of 4 TD's, not even including the new area to the North that was added to the district as a result of the last rejig.

Let it be 2 TD's and let them earn their seat and the money that comes with it or re shape the constituancy and have just 1 TD like the British system. It doesnt matter what the population is as its not like they have to meet all of them .

With Joe having secured a euro seat for his party and now a Dail seat, should there be a by-election here for his euro seat? I think for him to nominate an un-elected person to take his euro seat is wrong . I voted for him in the euro elections as he was the best out of a bad bunch in my opinion then so it looks like a wasted vote and two fingers up to those who voted for him then. Is it un-democratic ? isnt that what the socialist are against? Sinn Fein did the same in the local election a while back when they replaced the elected candidate with a person of their choice.

Higgins did exactly the same thing a few years before when he was elected to the country council. Decided he wanted to go for Europe instead and some other guy that wasn't even on the ballot for the vote took his seat.
    People were trusting/stupid enough to then vote for him again for the European seat, and he's done it again.
    In a few months he'll probably be looking to run for president and his Dail seat will be empty too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,419 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Let it be 2 TD's and let them earn their seat and the money that comes with it or re shape the constituancy and have just 1 TD like the British system. It doesnt matter what the population is as its not like they have to meet all of them .

The British system leads to about 100 seats being barely contested (Labour inner city seats in the Northern cities, Tory seats in garrison counties in the south) as they haven't changed hands in living memory.
    Our system at least means that every vote is crucial (some seats literally being decided by less than 20 votes) and every constituency changing its representation compared to 2007.

It aint perfect, but it's a multitide of times better the British system.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

With Joe having secured a euro seat for his party and now a Dail seat, should there be a by-election here for his euro seat? I think for him to nominate an un-elected person to take his euro seat is wrong .

That's the way the system works. Top of Joe's substitute list is Claire Daly but as she was elected too, next in line is Cllr. Ruth Coppinger (Mulhuddart LEA). If Ruth takes the seat the SP get to co-opt a second unelected Councillor to FCC.

I was away on Sat so missed the posts on here, some of which I'm surprised at having been allowed remain on the thread tbh.

My experience of the election:

Only canvassers (first in the 7 years I've lived here): FG
    "Local" candidates I'd never heard of before: McGuinness & Nulty
    Posters nearly poking my eye out: Burton diamonds on Snugborough Road (law says they have to be 8 feet off the ground, these were 4 feet max)
    Posters littering our development: McGuinness & Burton
    Candidates met out & about: Varadkar & Burton @ Supermarkets

Did any of the above change how I was planning to vote? The answer is yes, Nulty was getting a 3 from me but his letter annoyed me with his claim to be the local guy for Waterville.

Am glad it's all over now...though there's always the chance of a bye-election, rumours about Lenihan's health are rife...based on this you'd think the non-successful candidates would be getting their posters down faster in order to preserve them for next time!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement