Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin West General Election 2011 [Mod note post #218]

Options
1121314151618»

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

athtrasna wrote: »
    Am glad it's all over now...though there's always the chance of a bye-election, rumours about Lenihan's health are rife...based on this you'd think the non-successful candidates would be getting their posters down faster in order to preserve them for next time!

Funny how fast the posters appear once the election is announced but here we are 4 full days after it and I don't think a single one has been taken down, at least not where I live.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

If you've a problem with any posts (other than just disagreeing with it) use the Report Post button please

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

The posters on the pylon are still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Murt10

The British system leads to about 100 seats being barely contested (Labour inner city seats in the Northern cities, Tory seats in garrison counties in the south) as they haven't changed hands in living memory.
    Our system at least means that every vote is crucial (some seats literally being decided by less than 20 votes) and every constituency changing its representation compared to 2007..

The Brits have 1st past the post in a single seat constituency. We have the single transferrable vote in a multi seat constituency.

If we were to have PR in a single seat constituency, every vote would count as, when someone was eliminated, their votes would continue on to the next person, until someone was finally elected.

Under the 1st past the post system, its quite possible that someone who is very unpopular is elected for their area as the opposition vote has been split. Many more people have no representation once the votes have been added up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Am glad it's all over now...though there's always the chance of a bye-election, rumours about Lenihan's health are rife...based on this you'd think the non-successful candidates would be getting their posters down faster in order to preserve them for next time!

Im sure its in here somewhere but did Varadkar use any new posters bar the ones of him and Dennisson?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Gaspode wrote: »
    If you've a problem with any posts (other than just disagreeing with it) use the Report Post button please

Ok - I have just reported a handful of posts that aren't in keeping with the mod posts on this thread (posts 1 & 218). There are plenty more but the 1 minute limit between reports means I can't do them all. You get the gist though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Just report the posts & let the mods deal with it. Please leave out the back-seat modding thank you.

HB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

Funny how fast the posters appear once the election is announced but here we are 4 full days after it and I don't think a single one has been taken down, at least not where I live.

I can tell you from my own knowledge that dmcg's posters were erected over the course of ten days and will take until at least Saturday to take down.

The bigger the team the quicker they go up and come down.

ps: They make great insulation in the attic :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Spotted Leo and a helper taking posters down in Blanch village tonight...glad to see he was taking a hands on approach. Still a lot of posters around the place...should be down no later than Friday but I don't see Fingal taking any action before Monday given their laid back attitude on putting them up in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

That's the way the system works. Top of Joe's substitute list is Claire Daly but as she was elected too, next in line is Cllr. Ruth Coppinger (Mulhuddart LEA). If Ruth takes the seat the SP get to co-opt a second unelected Councillor to FCC.[/

I wouldnt take much notice of any rumours. The system needs to change as its undemocratic.
    Hill Billy wrote: »
    Just report the posts & let the mods deal with it. Please leave out the back-seat modding thank you.

HB

Have you posted on the wrong page HB ? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Polar101

should be down no later than Friday but I don't see Fingal taking any action before Monday given their laid back attitude on putting them up in the first place.

I saw a Fingal CoCo truck on the Ongar road on Monday, they were taking down some Nulty posters.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

So the election is over, time to lock this thread and put it away.
    Thanks to all who contributed to it, things got hairy at times but was nowhere near as bad as I thought it might be, so kudos to you all.

If you've got a taste now for politcial discussion and banter, I can recommend the politics forum on this very site.

Cheers,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement