Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin West General Election 2011 [Mod note post #218]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Godge, I don't believe that Pineapple Stu was directing his comment specifically at you, so I don't think you should take it so personally. I read that as merely a general statement which, from my own experiences, would appear to have some merit although obviously it's something that would be pretty much impossible to support factually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Murt10

From Paddy Power

Joan Burton (Lab) 1/50
    Leo Varadkar (FG) 1/40
    Joe Higgins (SP) 1/25
    Brian Lenihan (FF) 1/7
    Patrick Nulty (Lab) 6/4
    Kieran Dennison (FG) 3/1
    Paul Donnelly (SF) 16/1
    Roberic O'Gorman (Green) 20/1
    David McGuinness (FF) 50/1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

Joan's odds might go to 50/1 after her show on tv3 tonight ;)

If there is a strong anti FF vote at the election and it goes to FG, would Kieran Dennison get in on the back of Varadkar's votes ?that is if Leo wins by a landslide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

I was wondering what this comment was about, then I watched Vincent Browne this morning. Cringe! :eek: That was embarrassing for Burton, will do a lot of damage. For anyone who has not seen it, here is two of our local politicians, Higgins and Burton. Prepare! Was there alcohol involved in this mess? Lost many votes with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭godscop

If there is a strong anti FF vote at the election and it goes to FG, would Kieran Dennison get in on the back of Varadkar's votes ?that is if Leo wins by a landslide.
    I hope not <SNIP>, met him in a pub after he had a few. Showed his true colours. Nulty is doing alot of work but election probably here too soon for him. Leo Varadkar is so arrogant but of couse will get a seat. Burton,Varadkar, Lenihan, Nulty..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Polar101

There's a wider election issue in the newer parts of D15, and that's poor voter turnout.

Is that poor turnout a percentage of the total population, or registered voters? I was thinking there'd be quite a few people in D15 who aren't eligible to vote in an Irish election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

If they can't vote then they are irrelevant to the discussion. Obviously poor voter turnout can only mean those eligible to vote.

I imagine a lot of people are disillusioned with voting because it seems people wishes get ignored a lot by those making decisions.

The problem is people aren't vocal enough about it. There should be more outcry like there was about the medical cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 pondasher

Godge wrote: »
    If you are voting on the basis of local issues, you have to consider that we have had the Minister for Finance from Dublin West for the last few years and he has been able to ensure that Coolmine Community School got the upgrade that was promised in 1989 by Michael Woods (oops, didn't happen), that Connolly Hospital was upgraded to a major regional hospital with modern facilities (oops, only partly happened), that Metro West got built (oops, not yet), that the Maynooth line was upgraded to electric (oops, not yet), that the M50/N3 interchange was freeflow by the end of 2006 (Ok, only four years late), that housing was properly planned, that local unemployment went down, that schools were upgraded (nothing, nothing, nothing). Ok, the conclusion from that is that FF only did a little for the constituency when the most powerful Minister was from there. So anyone but FF is the answer if you are voting on local issues.

you are listening to too many soundbites to be fair there were three new schools built in ongar alone two primary and one secondary that does not include many other new and estensions to schools built in D15 in the past 4 years.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

pondasher wrote: »
    The maynooth line was never meant to be electrified

Well actually that's not quite true, as can be seen from the Bord Pleanála application here. That was from 2009, although the project was initially discussed in 2007. The last estimate I saw for completion of the work was 2015, but given that the above planning application was withdrawn a few weeks after it was lodged I think it's safe to say it won't be happening any time soon.

Zaph wrote: »
    Well actually that's not quite true, as can be seen from the Bord Pleanála application here. That was from 2009, although the project was initially discussed in 2007. The last estimate I saw for completion of the work was 2015, but given that the above planning application was withdrawn a few weeks after it was lodged I think it's safe to say it won't be happening any time soon.

Sorry Zaph I have just checked Transport 21 and it is there but only as part of a much bigger project incorporating a tunnel under the Liffey good idea but unless the Connolly Station upgrade goes ahead there is no point. I use the train I think its a great service as it stands.
    Godge is incorrect regarding education and employment there must be at least 5000 people working in Ballycoolin and Damastown. One has to give credit where it is due

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

three new schools built in ongar alone two primary and one secondary that does not include many other new and estensions to schools built in D15 in the past 4 years.

pondasher, you can correct me if I am wrong. To the best of my knowledge the recently opened Post Primary School in Ongar, has to date been the only new Secondary School to be opened in Dublin 15, since Castleknock Community College in the mid to late '90s.

Ask the residents of Tyrellstown and Hollystown where are their secondary schools? As the residents of Litttlepace and Ongar where can they catch a train?

I'd hardly laud any political entity for that!

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    pondasher, you can correct me if I am wrong. To the best of my knowledge the recently opened Post Primary School in Ongar, has to date been the only new Secondary School to be opened in Dublin 15, since Castleknock Community College in the mid to late '90s.

Ask the residents of Tyrellstown and Hollystown where are their secondary schools? As the residents of Litttlepace and Ongar where can they catch a train?

Pat
    Luttrelstown Community College opened in 2009 Tyrrelstown and Hollytown I understand next on the list to be provided for I agree it is getting urgent but there are places in Riversdale two new Primary schools Tyrrelstown ET and Mulhuddart NS in the next two years Fingal CC have a lot of questions to answer re the Train station in Ongar I wish Cllr Dennison or Cllr Nulty had dealt with this before now as both their parties control the council

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭dtf

Godge wrote: »
    If you are voting on the basis of local issues, you have to consider that we have had the Minister for Finance from Dublin West for the last few years and he has been able to ensure that Coolmine Community School got the upgrade that was promised in 1989 by Michael Woods (oops, didn't happen), that Connolly Hospital was upgraded to a major regional hospital with modern facilities (oops, only partly happened), that Metro West got built (oops, not yet), that the Maynooth line was upgraded to electric (oops, not yet), that the M50/N3 interchange was freeflow by the end of 2006 (Ok, only four years late), that housing was properly planned, that local unemployment went down, that schools were upgraded (nothing, nothing, nothing). Ok, the conclusion from that is that FF only did a little for the constituency when the most powerful Minister was from there. So anyone but FF is the answer if you are voting on local issues.

If you are voting on the basis of national issues, anyone but FF for anyone of 1000 reasons.

Typical anti FF rant. Blame them for everything and then some.

Lenihan has been Min for Finance for only the last 2 ½ years, two of the toughest years from a financial perspective in the countries history. Most people are saying we need less of "parish pump" politics and more of politians who are prepared to think of the national question and make some tough unpopular decisions.

Besides when you look at the new facilities that Castlekock Hurling and GAA, Castleknock Celtic FC, All the new schools built around the Carpenterstown area, St Francis Hospice, New all-weather playing facilities in Hartstown etc I think we have done OK in the last few years considering.

Bear in mind that Leo dosen’t do any consitiuency clinics, Joan dosen’t even live in the constituency and Joe had barely been elected to FCC for Castleknock and he moved off to Europe replacing himself with someone nobody has ever heard of.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Pat
    Luttrelstown Community College opened in 2009 Tyrrelstown and Hollytown I understand next on the list to be provided for I agree it is getting urgent but there are places in Riversdale two new Primary schools Tyrrelstown ET and Mulhuddart NS in the next two years Fingal CC have a lot of questions to answer re the Train station in Ongar I wish Cllr Dennison or Cllr Nulty had dealt with this before now as both their parties control the council

So what you're telling me it took 14 years to open a new Post-Primary School in D15? Castleknock CC was opened in 1995 and Luttrellstown opened in 2009.

I wouldn't hold my breath for "schools next on the list" as the pace of decision making in the Dept of Education is known to be glacial.

Sure, everyone would like a school and a train station on their doorstep.
    Why move to an area without a secondary school in the first place if its an issue for you ( not you personally ) ?
    Ask the residents of corduff and mullhuddart where they can catch a train?
    Ongar and Littlepace are inbetween 2 stations and one (unused ) on their door step in Hansfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Ongar and Littlepace are inbetween 2 stations and one (unused ) on their door step in Hansfield.

And what party with crappy legalisation and been pally with builders has caused it to been un finished???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

At least there migth finally be a Educate Together secondary school going to happen in Lucan, mad that it will jappen there when there has been parents working for it to happen in D15 for the last 15 years. We have ET schools which don't feed into the current secondary schools so that the children from those schools are the bottom of the pile when it comes to getting school places in the area.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    At least there migth finally be a Educate Together secondary school going to happen in Lucan, mad that it will jappen there when there has been parents working for it to happen in D15 for the last 15 years. We have ET schools which don't feed into the current secondary schools so that the children from those schools are the bottom of the pile when it comes to getting school places in the area.

Both Coolmine and Scoil Choilm take directly from Educate Together in the blanch area

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Polar101 wrote: »
    Is that poor turnout a percentage of the total population, or registered voters? I was thinking there'd be quite a few people in D15 who aren't eligible to vote in an Irish election.

I'm almost sure the turnout was quoted as percentage of the registered electorate (as it should be), rather than of the general population. This makes the figures look even worse as there are plenty of ineligible people living in the area who don't even have the chance to have their say.

As for complaining about politicians, voters have the perfect opportunity to do it at the ballot box in a few weeks (as well as at other times).

I'm almost sure the turnout was quoted as percentage of the registered electorate (as it should be), rather than of the general population. This makes the figures look even worse as there are plenty of ineligible people living in the area who don't even have the chance to have their say..

British citizens are the largest of the non national population in ireland and may vote at Dáil elections, European elections and local elections. So not that true

From http://www.citizensinformation.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

oblivious wrote: »
    Both Coolmine and Scoil Choilm take directly from Educate Together in the blanch area

Which educate together? There are several at this stage.

The % of turn out at the polls is of the number of people on the register not the number of people who are entitled to vote.

Why move to an area without a secondary school in the first place if its an issue for you ( not you personally ) ? ...

A lot of people didn't move into the area. They are from the area. However the area was over developed around them, through poor regulation and planning. So can have the situation where the catchment of the schools has changed, to exclude you, even though you haven't moved at all. Indeed you might have moved into the area only a few months beforehand and priority over someone whos been there 20yrs.

dtf wrote: »
    Besides when you look at the new facilities that Castlekock Hurling and GAA, Castleknock Celtic FC, All the new schools built around the Carpenterstown area, St Francis Hospice, New all-weather playing facilities in Hartstown etc I think we have done OK in the last few years considering....

I was under the impression that these were built under massive local pressure and a lot of the funding is coming from the local community. I don't get the suggestion that this reflects well on FF.

British citizens are the largest of the non national population in ireland and may vote at Dáil elections, European elections and local elections. So not that true

From http://www.citizensinformation.ie

Maybe nationally, but in D15 I'd guess that the vast majority of non-nationals are Eastern European, Asian and African, none of whom have an automatic right to vote.
    The % of turn out at the polls is of the number of people on the register not the number of people who are entitled to vote.

To be pedantic, they're only entitled to vote if they're on the electoral register (can't just show up to the polling station), but I know what you mean - there are people who are entitled to register but don't do so, and hence don't form part of the electorate.

Which educate together? There are several at this stage..

This is Coolmines enrolment policy:

"Students attending St.Francis Xavier, Scoil Bríde girls and boys, Scoil Oilibhéir, St. Mochtas and Castleknock Educate Together will be offered a place in first year. Other children who have automatic access to a place in Coolmine include children who have brother(s) or sister(s) already in the school or children whose parents are past pupils or employees of the Board of Management. Children who reside in the area traditionally known as Blanchardstown Parish will also be offered a place automatically. Children of families, residing in Dublin 15, but outside any of the previously established Catchment Areas for other post-primary schools [Hunters' Run, Pheasants' Run, Castaheeney, Castlefield, Little Pace, Ongar, etc.] will be offered places if available. A process of random selection will allocate any further places available."

I presume Castle knock Educate Together is down as coolmine was as initially the only Community school in the area that they could feed into

Maybe nationally, but in D15 I'd guess that the vast majority of non-nationals are Eastern European, Asian and African, none of whom have an automatic right to vote. .

Non-EU citizens may vote at local elections, like other country id you want the privilege to vote that become a citizen, if they meet the criteria.

Which educate together? There are several at this stage..

Scoil Choilm is actually based on the parish of St. Mochta’s. I though been a VEC they were going to have a more open policy

Colaiste Pobail Setanta is taking castaheany educate together but they are in the general area of the secondary school

Non-EU citizens may vote at local elections, like other country id you want the privilege to vote that become a citizen, if they meet the criteria.

I'm not advocating that the voting rules be changed, just pointing out that the demographics in certain parts of D15 mean that quite a small percentage of the residents are electing their Dail representatives.

And what party with crappy legalisation and been pally with builders has caused it to been un finished???

The station is finished, its the roads to it that isnt.

• Advertisement

So what you're telling me it took 14 years to open a new Post-Primary School in D15? Castleknock CC was opened in 1995 and Luttrellstown opened in 2009.

I wouldn't hold my breath for "schools next on the list" as the pace of decision making in the Dept of Education is known to be glacial.

Pat

there was a twofold increase in the population of in D15 by any standard a very good response and you are forgetting scoil pobal Setanta in 2007/08

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement