Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin West General Election 2011 [Mod note post #218]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Flimbos

I was very surprised to see FF run a second candidate at all. I didn't know a lot about David McGuinness, besides the fact that he's a young councillor.

I just looked up his website and see that he is from Corduff in Blanchardstown... the same area that Patrick Nulty is from.

Maybe FF see Nulty as Lenihan's biggest threat for the 4th seat, and put McGuinness in, in an attempt to split the local vote around Corduff?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

It would be foolish not to run him as BL is ill and as an elected councilor it would also be disrespectful to those people who voted. If the worst happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭godscop

Has anybody met or know the young candidates ? We all know the older ones from tv and the area. Nulty canvassed my house and to be honest he impressed me. Havent had anyone else call yet.

godscop wrote: »
    Has anybody met or know the young candidates ? We all know the older ones from tv and the area. Nulty canvassed my house and to be honest he impressed me. Havent had anyone else call yet.

I know them both personally. Same primary school, Same community, three years apart but different parties.

But equally respected in that general area.

Polls wont do them justice. They will attract a younger vote.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I think it's a shame McGuinness is running now. I suppose it'll be a while before another GE but the fact that he's FF is going to stop people voting for him, which is a shame as I think he's quite a good candidate.

• Advertisement

Sure it wont do him any harm ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

We have a new Independant candidate. I dont know anything about him but it looks like he will be getting my second preferance vote :)

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Dead Kennedys

newbie here, could somebody set up a poll for this thread? would be interesting to compare to GE results to Boards poll for D15.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

newbie here, could somebody set up a poll for this thread? would be interesting to compare to GE results to Boards poll for D15.

Can't see the point when there is a poll running as part of www.boards.ie/vote

http://www.boards.ie/vote/results.php?type=local&c_id=21

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Shame McGuinness doesn't know the difference between a public (oh go on put your poster up if you want to) road and a private (the council hasn't taken this road in charge so f-off with your poster) road. Poster inside Waterville tonight...which is still private property. Won't win him any votes!

• Advertisement

athtrasna wrote: »
    Shame McGuinness doesn't know the difference between a public (oh go on put your poster up if you want to) road and a private (the council hasn't taken this road in charge so f-off with your poster) road. Poster inside Waterville tonight...which is still private property. Won't win him any votes!

Are you referring to the one that was on a lampost inside the Waterville junction near Corduff? It can only be that one and you will find it was taken down.

It was ironically erected by a lad from Anna court in Waterville.

I think a more pressing matter is the groups of people actively taking down candidates posters and/or damaging them. It is illegal.

Now both concerns (by you and me) are technically illegal. ie; posters in private roads and defacing or removal of posters. My point is you will find a far worse organized occurrence of the latter.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0209/1224289344690.html

I would like to think the younger generation, in which Dulbinwest has a higher proportion than most; will keep this election interesting. The Irish Times seem to reckon it's almost a fore gone conclusion and it may well be unless the unknowns come out and vote in large numbers.

His strong base in middle-class Castleknock and the Lenihan tradition in Dublin West, should see him safely home...:mad: joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Considering the cost of the posters, its shameful they are being used at all.

BostonB wrote: »
    Considering the cost of the posters, its shameful they are being used at all.

It's true, however it's either a case everyone uses them or everyone doesn't use them. Take a stand and don't use them; to only find yourself at a major disadvantage.

Alot of them are getting stolen or vandalised !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

tbh looking at all the posters it just makes me wish I had a paint ball gun.

Alot of them are getting stolen or vandalised !

Yep there are crews actively taking them down.

Whos posters are getting removed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Flimbos

We have a new Independant candidate. I dont know anything about him but it looks like he will be getting my second preferance vote :)

Here's a profile of the new candidate.

http://www.thejournal.ie/election-candidates-2011/dublin-west/clement-esebamen/

• Advertisement

Whos posters are getting removed ?

The obvious ones - ;)

Fianna Fail and the Greens then..

Fianna Fail and the Greens then..
    Spot on.

I saw a few on the ground probably due to the weather. Still waiting for some other candidate to canvass my home. The area is huge but havent seen any of them out and about, only Nulty who called to my house and estate.

I saw a few on the ground probably due to the weather. Still waiting for some other candidate to canvass my home. The area is huge but havent seen any of them out and about, only Nulty who called to my house and estate.

What's your estate generally?

Im in Clonsilla, lived in the area all my life.

Im in Clonsilla, lived in the area all my life.

No wonder you seen Nulty, his extended family originate from there and he is Clonsilla Inn friendly ;)

As for the others, I'm sure their moving toward your direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Are you referring to the one that was on a lampost inside the Waterville junction near Corduff? It can only be that one and you will find it was taken down.

It was ironically erected by a lad from Anna court in Waterville.

I think a more pressing matter is the groups of people actively taking down candidates posters and/or damaging them. It is illegal.

Now both concerns (by you and me) are technically illegal. ie; posters in private roads and defacing or removal of posters. My point is you will find a far worse organized occurrence of the latter.

That one was down and beside the lamp-post this morning and there was a second one on the path across the road from it,slightly further in to Waterville.

Am still watching the pole opposite the shops, almost every party postered that at some stage during the locals/europeans and got calls to remove them!

Well i drink in the clonsilla inn sometimes and the only politicans i have seen in it are Bruton and Lenihan. To be honest they both werent drinking but mingling and only stayed for an hour. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Dead Kennedys

Sharrow wrote: »
    Can't see the point when there is a poll running as part of www.boards.ie/vote

http://www.boards.ie/vote/results.php?type=local&c_id=21

Fair play, didn't see that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement